T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I just got one to play around with. My JT62 is being used by a friend in meantime(his car had to be raced). I am going to get Jeff from notrice.com to inspect and fix the wastegate issue when he is up here next week in MD. I got the correct oil lines and inline filter to run with it as well.
My best time with an SP61(which is basically the same thing) is 11.69(most runs 11.9-11.7) at 123 MPH with meth on DRs at 3400 pounds an 22-23 psi with high 1.7 and low 1.8 sixty foot times. I have to retune my car with this smaller turbo but I bet I can hit high 11s easy with it if wastegate problem is fixed. The question will be how long will it live at 17-20 psi of use on the street

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I'll be happy if I know I could manage a hair north of 400 at around 1bar or so. Which has been proven, so far, and with tuning and mechanical problems at that. Big question is longevity at this point...which boils down to attention paid to balancing, bearing quality, and material selection.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
My cars getting some love soon and going back to the tuners for higher boost (20-22psi)

Currently i get wheelspin mid first gear, all of 2nd and half of third. I'll be interested to see the numbers i can get out of it.

gachax

Oct 16, 2007
Latvia
A lot of good info here. I bought the turbo and going to fix the known issues, but one thing I didn't see discussed is a brace for this turbo (like for CT-26). I think it's important as this turbo is heavier than CT-26. Has anyone made one for this turbo?

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
so what exactly are the waste-gate problems? sorry for the repetitive questions its just so extensive to read through 67 pages to find the answers, any mods need to be done beside re routing the water, or is it water and oil cooled?

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think everyone that has experimented with this (Including me) has said it enough,,, Read back a few pages

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

gachax;1665763 said:
A lot of good info here. I bought the turbo and going to fix the known issues, but one thing I didn't see discussed is a brace for this turbo (like for CT-26). I think it's important as this turbo is heavier than CT-26. Has anyone made one for this turbo?

Thats a good question,, i will prob have something fabbed up

1986&1/2poopra

Sep 21, 2008
ithaca ny
I have followed the tread for the last 6 months. just got some tax $$ so soon as I get my na-t motor built I AM buying this turbo. for the $ it looks like the one to buy if you can use any tools.

props to you guys that have posted the numbers. hope to post mine in the next 2 months. any one want a 78 celica 22rturbo. $1500 funding for my supra.

marcmann982

Permanently Banned Scammer
Jun 28, 2010
north little rock. ar
still very skeptical guys cx racing has some decent parts but its still a china turbo and so so hardware and accessories i would just use those and find a better turbo to run with it. turbo just not something to cheap out on. Why do you think everybody's still doing ct upgrades i stay either do that or if you want the same amount of power as the cx racing setup just go the already proven greddy 20g setup same power but way more reliable....

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
marcmann982;1676868 said:
still very skeptical guys cx racing has some decent parts but its still a china turbo and so so hardware and accessories i would just use those and find a better turbo to run with it. turbo just not something to cheap out on. Why do you think everybody's still doing ct upgrades i stay either do that or if you want the same amount of power as the cx racing setup just go the already proven greddy 20g setup same power but way more reliable....

And whats the price on the Greddy 20g? Last time I seen it, they where 2k brand new... I've never had an Greddy 20g but to be truthful, if your gonna spend over two grand for a brand new turbo. Why not order a 60trim HKS Sports Turbo? and or LIPP Boss Jr. or Boss Sr turbo? They're all bolt on's they can all yield 400hp-600ish depending on the turbo, but all start at $1500.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Okay, I just installed this turbo and took it to the dyno. It did have some problems... My compressor housing is leaking but only at 18 psi. It made to 20 psi once but after that it couldnt crack 18 psi. Also the wastegate had a hard time stabilizing the boost, cause the tuner said it was struggling to say the least. However with all of these problems, it put down 411 rwhp at 20 psi and 390 rwhp at 18 psi. So not too bad of numbers considering this was on a dyno dynamics which I found out compared to a dyno jet can be anywhere from 12 to 15% low. So account 15% and it wouldve made 472 rwhp at 20 psi.

This turbo is definitely capable of putting power down, it just seems that is has a hard time holding it. With the compressor housing leaking, it is extremely laggy as well. Full boost seems to come in at around 4500 rpm, so not much of a powerband to work with.

After reading a lot of this thread, Ive seen suggestions of using RTV to seal the compressor housing. I wouldnt mind trying this to see how it works as long as someone could post some pics of EXACTLY where to put it cause I only see pics of the compressor housing removed, and I definitely dont want to mess that up. Im assuming that with the compressor housing sealed up the powerband should shift a bit lower since the turbo shouldnt be working as hard to achieve the same boost.

A lot of discussion here brings up this turbo compared to a 57 trim. Well I swapped my 57 trim for this turbo, and I can shed some light:
1st) The 57 trim definitely spools much faster and has a nicer powerband (compared to my T61 with a leaking compressor housing)
2nd) The 57 trim is much more convenient when it comes to plug and play
3rd) The T61 will make more power (not talking about powerband, just numbers) MY setup 378 rwhp @ 15 psi (57 trim) vs. ~470 rwhp @ 20 psi (T61)
4th) Price is about the same for both if you buy new, I bought my T61 used with lines for $400

IMHO, I would go with the 57 trim for streetable power, only because I still have some playing to do with my AVCR to see if I can keep this thing on the road. I plan on going to the track to see how it can manage there with some adjusting of the AVCR. My fastest ET with the 57 trim was 12.67 on drag radials. Im running street tires now, so I'll pray;) I would imagine that with the compressor housing fixed, that I would like the T61 much better hoping that I could move the powerband somewhere that is manageable.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to post some info that I know some are wondering or speculating about. Again, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the leak in the housing, Im ALL ears!!

Brandon

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Pretty impressive to make those numbers with a boost leak, which usually robs power as well as slowing spool like you mentioned

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Thanks! The tuner showed me on the dyno sheet where the boost fell off and he said it was on its way to making easily another 20 to 30 horsepower, but it couldnt hold 20 lbs. If that was the case maybe this turbo would be capable of 500 whp. I have been looking all over the net researching how to fix a leaky housing. I found some interested threads on the DSM forums about using the RTV, they swear by it.

I found some pics of how they are doing it, and I may end up doing this in the next couple of days. I just dont want to take the turbo back off, so we'll see.

Brandon

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I know with some turbos you can take the compressor housing off with it still mounted to the manifold, should just be a few bolts on the back of the housing

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
SC61 MK3;1678501 said:
I know with some turbos you can take the compressor housing off with it still mounted to the manifold, should just be a few bolts on the back of the housing

As long as I can reach them all, it shouldnt be a problem.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
2543arvin;1678503 said:
As long as I can reach them all, it shouldnt be a problem.

I see you have a 4.3 diff. Switch to a 3.73 as well as fixing any WG and compressor housing leaks/issues, spool time will improve quite a bit.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
IwantMKIII;1680235 said:
I see you have a 4.3 diff. Switch to a 3.73 as well as fixing any WG and compressor housing leaks/issues, spool time will improve quite a bit.

Yeah, I'm looking for a 3.73 LSD right now. I sealed the compressor housing and it helped a little with spool time. But I think I'm gonna go a different route with everything so I have the T61 an my 57 trim for sale in the classifieds section right now.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
SupraMedical68;1654181 said:
Is this on your car yet? I'd like to hear your impressions of it, and see if they've made any changes.

I'm think about buying one from Zankoku, but I'm not sure this the route I want to go.

It's bolted on but that's about it. The igniter crapped out on me and I'm still not done with most things, so I haven't had a chance to use it.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
2543arvin;1678470 said:
Okay, I just installed this turbo and took it to the dyno. It did have some problems... My compressor housing is leaking but only at 18 psi. It made to 20 psi once but after that it couldnt crack 18 psi. Also the wastegate had a hard time stabilizing the boost, cause the tuner said it was struggling to say the least. However with all of these problems, it put down 411 rwhp at 20 psi and 390 rwhp at 18 psi. So not too bad of numbers considering this was on a dyno dynamics which I found out compared to a dyno jet can be anywhere from 12 to 15% low. So account 15% and it wouldve made 472 rwhp at 20 psi.

This turbo is definitely capable of putting power down, it just seems that is has a hard time holding it. With the compressor housing leaking, it is extremely laggy as well. Full boost seems to come in at around 4500 rpm, so not much of a powerband to work with.

After reading a lot of this thread, Ive seen suggestions of using RTV to seal the compressor housing. I wouldnt mind trying this to see how it works as long as someone could post some pics of EXACTLY where to put it cause I only see pics of the compressor housing removed, and I definitely dont want to mess that up. Im assuming that with the compressor housing sealed up the powerband should shift a bit lower since the turbo shouldnt be working as hard to achieve the same boost.

A lot of discussion here brings up this turbo compared to a 57 trim. Well I swapped my 57 trim for this turbo, and I can shed some light:
1st) The 57 trim definitely spools much faster and has a nicer powerband (compared to my T61 with a leaking compressor housing)
2nd) The 57 trim is much more convenient when it comes to plug and play
3rd) The T61 will make more power (not talking about powerband, just numbers) MY setup 378 rwhp @ 15 psi (57 trim) vs. ~470 rwhp @ 20 psi (T61)
4th) Price is about the same for both if you buy new, I bought my T61 used with lines for $400

IMHO, I would go with the 57 trim for streetable power, only because I still have some playing to do with my AVCR to see if I can keep this thing on the road. I plan on going to the track to see how it can manage there with some adjusting of the AVCR. My fastest ET with the 57 trim was 12.67 on drag radials. Im running street tires now, so I'll pray;) I would imagine that with the compressor housing fixed, that I would like the T61 much better hoping that I could move the powerband somewhere that is manageable.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to post some info that I know some are wondering or speculating about. Again, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the leak in the housing, Im ALL ears!!

Brandon

haha 411rwhp seems to be the number, i made 411.5rwhp @16psi :)

I've noticed a big increase in power and torque since my last dyno and i'm itching to get it back on the dyno, i'm guessing round 500rwhp @ 16-17psi, no more power for my car until i can put it down :p

I've replaced all my intercooler piping have no leaks. the car holds boost well and does not spike on the standard actuator (WIN!)

I'm happy with my setup. I'll be off the 1/4 soon.

You can't hear it but its spinning the wheels most of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W96bnn4YiDA