T4 Turbo Kit or ct26 57trim upgrade

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
Hey guys i'm just wondering what everyones opinion is on what would be the better option as far as getting a whole T4 turbo kit which would come with new intercooler, intercooler piping,T4 turbo,T4 turbo header, BOV, turbo timer, Fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, and wastegate. or if it would be a better route to just upgrade the ct26. it seems like the price difference as far as i can see ranges from 300-500 so it seems like the T4 turbo kit would be a better way to go to me because the ct26 trim upgrade gets you just that and no new BOV, TurboTimer, Header, Intercooler, and Piping, Etc. any thoughts or other options you think i should look at? P.S. I have 550cc injectors and walbro fuel pump on order and already have a lexus maf and turbo timer, My goal is around the 400HP range or more.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The CT will have quicker spool, but will fall of at higher rpms. T4 has more top end and lots of room to grow. But its more expensive.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Sounds to me like you're referring to the china made T4 kits. Be weary of those. Quality for the most part is quite poor. If you're on a budget, start with a 57 or larger trim for your ct26. I hear albert's rebuilt ct26 turbo's put down some good numbers. You can also watch the for sale section on the forums for larger bolt-on turbo options like SP, Boss, Blitz Bag and Turbonetics HIfi, as they all pop up fairly often.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
400rwhp is doable with an upgraded ct26.

Look at my mods, I haven't dyno'd yet but my 'guess' is probably anywhere from 380-400 with the 57 trim.

60-1 will get you very very close if not over.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My car has a 57trim (just installed) and will finally be starting for the first time in 4 months. After a 500 km break-in, its going on the dyno, so we can see what the output is, so will have a sample in about a month for you.
I personally wouldnt go with the expense of a whole T4 upgrade without including a standalone system. With the 550's I would stay with Lexus AFM, 550 injectors, 60-1 or 57 trim CT26, AFPR (not necessary, but nice), Wideband (so you know your not killing anything), and make sure you have a 3" exhaust. Be prepared to helix/stud your exhaust manifold on a 7M.

You dont need the intercooler right off the hop, but should seriously consider it. The turbo timer isn't needed as long as you can be patient after hard runs and let the engine sit for 2-5 minutes depending on what you did prior to parking. I have one and its nice, but pointless.

Generally speaking though.. what do you have done to the engine itself so far? I personally wouldn't attempt any BPU on an old 7M that hasn't had a metal headgasket and ARP studs put on it.. but I have owned to many BHG vehicles. You dont need any heavy builds, etc.. but you should be very confident that your engine isn't going to die the second you put all these add-ons on and go for a good pull...

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
ya I just installed a cometic MHG and arp studs. ya good thought on it being a cheap chinese kit cause i'm not sure if it is or not lol does anyone know of a good quality t4 kit for our cars? really one of the big reasons why i have been thinking t4 is because when I was taking off the exhaust manifold i realized how restricted and heavy that thing is so i would really like a nicer free flowing (hopefully lighter) one and when i was pricing things out the ct26 upgrade and the header (which i could only find for a T4 turbo) was about the same price as just buying a kit with a brand new turbo. if someone knows of a good t4 kit i would love to know and be able to judge it off that price.
My whole goal with this car is to just have fun and go to a few drifting events here and there. so this upgrade probably won't be until mid summer or later. although if i can get a good quality one for a good price i wouldn't mind getting it sooner. besides my tax refund is coming soon and it was way more than i expected :icon_bigg
"Be prepared to helix/stud your exhaust manifold on a 7M" I have no idea what this means. lol can you rub some of your knowledge off on me? thanks for the help

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Driftmotion has the stud kit for the exhaust manifold. When I pulled the exhaust manifold the studs were in rough shape. The threads stripped out if the motor so I had to use helix coils and new studs to repair. Problem shouldn't reoccur though after doing that.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
IndigoMKII;1910462 said:
Look at my mods, I haven't dyno'd yet but my 'guess' is probably anywhere from 380-400 with the 57 trim.

How did you 'guess' your at 380-400rwhp with your mods? I'm on a T4 60trim running 16psi with about the same supporting mods as you. I trap 109mph in the 1/4(12.91), with my 'guesstimated' weight of 3900lbs with me in it, I come out to about 315-320rwhp. How did you come up with your 'guesstimated' rwhp? I'm sorely dissappointed in my guesstimation.

OP: go with the upgraded CT26 57trim. More power under the curve makes for a nice responsive street machine.

Last edited:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Suprapowaz!(2);1910729 said:
How did you 'guess' your at 380-400rwhp with your mods? I'm on a T4 60trim running 16psi with about the same supporting mods as you. I trap 109mph in the 1/4(12.91), with my 'guesstimated' weight of 3900lbs with me in it, I come out to about 315-320rwhp. How did you come up with your 'guesstimated' rwhp? I'm sorely dissappointed in my guesstimation.

OP: go with the upgraded CT26 57trim. More power under the curve makes for a nice responsive street machine.

Yea I'd agree with you I had 57trim fresh rebuild arp mhg Megan 3in 3in the rest of way back and on 9psi I was at 267hp and 283 tq. No other mods besides fluidlyne radiator. You could be up there but I think that's a little high.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I will actually have a dyno sheet for my 57 trim, so we will see what happens. Mind you, I will be running at 14-15 psi as normal and 19-21 psi high mode (only for a very rare pull). I get the car back next week, and when the roads clear enough that I feel comfortable driving it, I have to do a 500 km break-in, then take it back in for another oil change and dyno it.

Still running stock intercooler, so worried I may blow it apart at 19 psi.. lol. Oh well.. cant upgrade the intercooler until next year when I go stand alone with the car.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Suprapowaz!(2);1910729 said:

With your numbers that you gave me, putting them in just a random google 1/4 mph hp converter, comes up with 394 hp.

3900 with you in it? That's pretty heavy with most models being roughly 3500.

I'm at basically sea level (363ft) and with the same mods at other people that make anywhere from 360 to 400. That's why I said guess. The only thing holding my setup back right now is the turbo.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
I made 330whp on a 50 trim CT26 at 18psi with intercooler, exhaust, 550cc's, supporting fuel, VPC/AFC and a tune.

I made 402rwhp with a JT62 Turbonetics 7m bolt on turbo with the same mods as above. The JT62 was $1600, and the 50 trim was $650 at the times I bought them.

I'm now at 420whp with built internals and an AEM EMS and the JT62 running 19.5psi on 93 octane.

Just to give you some bolt-on turbo references.

I'm going to go t4 probably this year...now that I'm ready for more power. A 57 trim will get you close to 400whp with the right mods and a good tune. Probably your best option for balancing spool, power and cost.

Goodluck.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Supra0089;1912143 said:
I made 330whp on a 50 trim CT26 at 18psi with intercooler, exhaust, 550cc's, supporting fuel, VPC/AFC and a tune.

I had a 50trim CT26 long ago. God I miss that turbo. Very responsive, and pulled like mad through the first three gears. I always figured I was putting down 330rwhp, but never dynode it. I was running 18psi, 550cc's, exhaust, cartech intercooler, no kind of tune though. Ran a best of 12.89@111 on street tires 1.9sixty with that setup. It was perfect for me. I wanted something responsive, and ran 12's and that's what I had with that 50trim.

I have a 1991 hardtop turbo. I figured the car weighs in at 3600lbs, and I weigh 244lbs. Add your usual automotive fluids and it should put me around 3900lbs. I could be completely wrong though.

Ratrodtaylor

Jan 24, 2013
Utah
thanks for those numbers, the info, and your opinion. they are much appreciated cause i can use all the help i can get.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Suprapowaz!(2);1912156 said:
I had a 50trim CT26 long ago. God I miss that turbo. Very responsive, and pulled like mad through the first three gears. I always figured I was putting down 330rwhp, but never dynode it. I was running 18psi, 550cc's, exhaust, cartech intercooler, no kind of tune though. Ran a best of 12.89@111 on street tires 1.9sixty with that setup. It was perfect for me. I wanted something responsive, and ran 12's and that's what I had with that 50trim.

I have a 1991 hardtop turbo. I figured the car weighs in at 3600lbs, and I weigh 244lbs. Add your usual automotive fluids and it should put me around 3900lbs. I could be completely wrong though.

I loved my 50 trim. It's spool was amazing. After putting in the JT62, I actually preferred the 50 trim CT26 because it was way more responsive under daily driving conditions. If you don't need to get to the 400rwhp mark, the 50 trim will work. Many have made 350-370 rwhp on the 50 trim...but need meth-injection to do it.