Suspension Tuning ASB, BIC End Links

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
I am currently in the process of doing my simple suspension upgrades. Shocks, Springs and Anti Sway Bars with BIC adjustable end links.

If anyone could chime in on how to initially setup the end links I would appreciate it. Car is currently up on jack stands, so should the assembly be jacked up to properly adjust the links etc ?

For those with a decent knowledge of suspension dynamics a brief tutorial on how the lengthening or shortening of these links affect handling would also be appreciated.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
first thing to tune is tire pressure drive around with different settings keep what you like make a log book. then mess with the bars tight/more preload in the rear will give more oversteer and vice versa. its all about what you prefer but def keep a log of what did what to avoid confusion. the goal is to make the car neutral no oversteer or understeer. good luck setting up a susp right takes time patience and alot of trial and error .

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
I have the BIC front & rear end links on my car. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the initial adjustment is to have the sway bar ends parallel to the ground when the car is sitting on a level surface. If you are going to aftermarket sway bars, make sure you reinforce the rear mounting tabs.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
87tomanymods;1289185 said:
first thing to tune is tire pressure drive around with different settings keep what you like make a log book. then mess with the bars tight/more preload in the rear will give more oversteer and vice versa. its all about what you prefer but def keep a log of what did what to avoid confusion. the goal is to make the car neutral no oversteer or understeer. good luck setting up a susp right takes time patience and alot of trial and error .

How do you "preload" a swaybar?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
A good place to start is so that the sway bar is level with the ground when the car is sitting on a level surface. If you use the ST bars esspecially on the "stiff" inner setting you need to lengthen them about 1".

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
preloading a sway bar does not change the roll resistance of the bar. the spring rate of a sway bar (which acts as a torsional spring) does not change with displacement unless yielding occurs. so unless you want to break your sway bar do not preload it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It should only be in torsion if you are twisting it, that is pulling on one link and pushing on the other as happens when the body rolls on a turn.

Preloading it by shortening one link and lengthening the other would cause the body to list left or right when stationary, and make for some really whacky handling.