Supra just stalls for no reason

JByrd43

Feb 9, 2008
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
I have an 87 supra, one day i was driving it and everything was fine. Went to work, leaving work my speedometer cable is broken (the longer one from the dashboard) and the car will stall randomly going to a stop. When i go to put the clutch in the engine will just die. I had one guy look at it and didn't know what it would be? Could the speedometer cable be messing with the sensors or what? PLEASE HELP. thanks.

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
JByrd43;1274599 said:
I have an 87 supra, one day i was driving it and everything was fine. Went to work, leaving work my speedometer cable is broken (the longer one from the dashboard) and the car will stall randomly going to a stop. When i go to put the clutch in the engine will just die. I had one guy look at it and didn't know what it would be? Could the speedometer cable be messing with the sensors or what? PLEASE HELP. thanks.

Check the connection to the distributor (the little plug that connects to it). The wires often corrode and cause a faulty connection. Also check for codes.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
There is always a reason. ;) It's whether or not you know what it is that matters.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You know, I should have known that. My speedo cable popped off the back of the cluster once, years back, and my cruise control stopped working. I was on a long trip, and it was annoying enough I had to stop and fix it.

Must be getting slow in the head in my old age. :D

Thanks for the insight, JJ, always a pleasure.

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
Hey, if the speedo cable is in, but not all the way, might this cause idle issues as well? I only ask because when I swapped out my dash, I don't think I got the speedo cable completely in. It works the speedo, but I can here it squeaking. The noise makes me think that it may not be inserted all the way. Well, that and the fact that I am fighting an idle gremlin as well. I will check the cable when I get home.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
zombie.jpg