Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
p2040500_1.jpg
p2040500_2.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fraziers240

Sep 8, 2014
Florida
maxburn;1987035 said:
Nice job on the car I think its really cool that you decided to rebuild her instead of swapping to a shell. Heck the more work you put into a car the more sentimental value it has right :)

Couldn't agree with you more, very well done man!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Fraziers240;2041144 said:
Couldn't agree with you more, very well done man!

Thanks you guys! :D

bloodasp90, it won't change at all at idle or lower RPMS. Shimming the spring only delays the pump from recirculating oil back into the pan. I am not sure what it was at before, but I will certainly know (since I will be fixing my oil pressure gauge as well!) what it will be now, so we can compare numbers and see what the "gains" are, lol, if any! It was kind of more of an experiment, if anything - I have never had any oiling issues with this car, but I figure it certainly doesn't hurt and didn't take me much time or any money:D

SOOOO I get an hour lunch break each day, and about an hour and a half of sunlight after work (assuming I finish up on time and get my ass outta the shop by 5.... which rarely happens!) so I had been working on my supra in bouts... by the time that I gathered my supplies, brough thtem outside, found somebody to help me take off my hood, shove some food down my throat... that's like 45 minutes on lunch and an hour after work at best. This had been going on for a couple of weeks now, and I was starting to go crazy.

Last night, one of my coworkers (who has one of those magical shop keys) had to stay late to do a lot of work to his personal car... this meant that the shop doors would be open, and electricity, my tools, compressed air, chemicals..... and MUSIC would be available to me for several hours. I decided to take advantage of this, and finish up the prep work to my engine bay.

Toyota Tow rig:

p2041870_1.jpg

p2041870_2.jpg

p2041870_3.jpg

p2041870_4.jpg

I didn't take any pictures after I sprayed the primer (I used SEM self-etching primer, good stuff!), I just had to clean up so I put the hood back on, taped everything shut, and sealed her up for the day of rain that we had (today:/) .... next step is to check it all out tomorrow on my lunch break (should be sunny!) and do a little bit of quick sanding (if necessary) then laying my second primer coat in places that need it.

I was hoping to paint the engine bay my snow white this weekend, but its looking like rain, so we may have to wait it out.

ALSO! This happened last weekend:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Went up to my boyfriend's house and we spent a couple of days in the sun on his back porch, sanding, fiberglassing, and painting some Supra parts! That is my free front lip that was once in 3 pieces... a section of about 4 inches was completely missing from the driver's side corner, and now it is almost back to its perfect shape again! I also did some work to the free fan shroud that I got from bloodasp90, thanks man! It is going to look great!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
I am sure that everybody reading this knows this feeling that I have right now.... The feeling of complete devastation and disappointment that happens when, despite all of your best energy, effort, self-sacrifice and money.....things still don't turn out the way you had hoped. Last night, I watch the entire month's worth of hard work disappear in front of my eyes and basically put me back to square one. Something happened with the paint, and I have no idea what. For the past four weeks, I've been spending every hour-long lunch break, and every evening from the time I got off work at 5 o'clock until sundown, standing my car prepping for last night's coat... which I thought would be the first layer of my final engine bay paint job. I thought I would be done before the weekend, and I could finally relax and focus on putting my motor and tranny back together and into the car. Maybe you are reading this and you know me, and you know how much I despise bodywork, and yet I have done every inch of bodywork on this car myself. I have paid no one, because I make next to nothing for the work that I do. I spent every last $ that I had this month on that paint, and I stood by helpless while I watched over $250 go to waste last night.... Another setback that I may not recover from in time for formula drift or maybe even nationals. If I could, I would throw my hands up in the air right now and admit defeat, maybe even have my car towed away and pay a professional to do what I have spent to much time already trying to perfect, but I can't. I do not have that option. I have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward. I suppose this is what happens when an amateur tries to build a show car..... but for now, I am going to push my car back outside, and not look at it for a few days. If any of you had any idea what I have been through with this car, I am sure that you would be amazed that I actually still have her, and am still working away at her relentlessly every day. I am also sure that I am not the only one with this story. I don't know what to say at this point, but to all of you who feel me, stay persistent, and keep the faith in yourself, and it will all work out somehow in the end.

p2042640_1.jpg

p2042640_2.jpg

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Dammit kid. What happened?
Life sure does throw us some curve balls. It's admirable that you keep plugging away. I can't imagine having the courage to stick with it through what you've had to deal with. Don't give up though. We need your thread!

Last edited:

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Don't give up Faye! Take a break from it for a little while and gather your focus and drive, learn from the set backs and charge forward when you're regrouped!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Faye, I stumbled across your thread the other night while I was on here for something completely different. I'm very glad I did, just finished reading the whole thread from start to now.

I must say, your perseverance and dedication are beyond admirable. Frankly, I've been in the Supra game for about 10 years myself. I've seen a LOT of cars come and go, along with the people behind the cars. Your build thread has managed to do something that doesn't happen too often. You've inspired me. :)

All the while, you've shown a great attitude, as well as an aptitude for car work across the spectrum. I wish I had your skills, and it's something I work toward as often as I can, to better myself. For sure, as you know, it's a slow process, but I'm pretty sure this is something you've been called to do in life. Should be grateful for that, for sure. Not all of us are as inclined to be so versatile when it comes to working on our cars.

If I might make a recommendation, I would suggest investing in proper snow tires for the winter season. I know it doesn't snow as much there as it does here (we get as much as 6-7 months where snow and ice are a very real possibility at any time), and I've learned that it truly pays to be prepared for anything. Plus, snow tires are stickier than summer tires at lower (think below 50°) temperatures anyway. If you're like me and love driving a Supra as often as possible, I can't recommend them highly enough. I've driven my car in all conditions, as for a long time, a Supra was all I had to drive. Snow tires make it not only manageable to drive in the slippery stuff, but actually fun... Only thing that even might stop me from getting where I need to go is ground clearance haha!

Anyway, keep on pushing through here, between your determination and skill set, I have no doubts you'll have one of the nicest cars on here, for sure. :D

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
te72;2042863 said:
Faye, I stumbled across your thread the other night while I was on here for something completely different. I'm very glad I did, just finished reading the whole thread from start to now.

I must say, your perseverance and dedication are beyond admirable. Frankly, I've been in the Supra game for about 10 years myself. I've seen a LOT of cars come and go, along with the people behind the cars. Your build thread has managed to do something that doesn't happen too often. You've inspired me. :)

All the while, you've shown a great attitude, as well as an aptitude for car work across the spectrum. I wish I had your skills, and it's something I work toward as often as I can, to better myself. For sure, as you know, it's a slow process, but I'm pretty sure this is something you've been called to do in life. Should be grateful for that, for sure. Not all of us are as inclined to be so versatile when it comes to working on our cars.

If I might make a recommendation, I would suggest investing in proper snow tires for the winter season. I know it doesn't snow as much there as it does here (we get as much as 6-7 months where snow and ice are a very real possibility at any time), and I've learned that it truly pays to be prepared for anything. Plus, snow tires are stickier than summer tires at lower (think below 50°) temperatures anyway. If you're like me and love driving a Supra as often as possible, I can't recommend them highly enough. I've driven my car in all conditions, as for a long time, a Supra was all I had to drive. Snow tires make it not only manageable to drive in the slippery stuff, but actually fun... Only thing that even might stop me from getting where I need to go is ground clearance haha!

Anyway, keep on pushing through here, between your determination and skill set, I have no doubts you'll have one of the nicest cars on here, for sure. :D

Brad, thank you so much for the thoughtful response to my thread. I really appreciate the time that you took to read it, and your comments cheered up my morning. I absolutely agree with your suggestion for snow tires. I have some BFGs on there now, which are fantastic for tread life, but are no good for any sort of cold weather. I plan on running them down to SIV, and burning them up on the racetrack and the hundreds of miles between here and there, and throwing them away. Since I work at a shop, I have also had the luxury of saving myself a good set of 4 sticky tires for the summer seasons also. When the BFGs are gone, I will replace them with good winter tires for my mk4 wheels.

I am so glad that I have inspired you, that makes the time that I put into writing this worth it!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
JDMMA70;2043457 said:
All the feels, I'm ready for updates!

LOL okay, fair enough. Well I took the advice of my friends, you guys on here, and some followers on Instagram and I decided to take a break from painting. Seems everything I tried to paint I just failed at in every way imaginable.

So I went to something a little easier and I assembled my R154.

p2043486_1.jpg

I took a class on transmissions back in the day, and remembered a few things, then had one of my coworkers walk me through some basics and provide aide when I fucked up, which was every now and then. Actually, I have to take it all back apart, because for some reason whenever I put the front plate on, the input shaft won't rotate, though with it off everything moves freely.... ?? Something is messed up but that's a puzzle I can handle, no magic involved. I don't know wtf is up with paint.

I do fairly decently with body work. I should have posted this also, here are a few pictures from the other weekend up at my boyfriend's house. We had a supra front bumper party and repaired some stuff, and fixed our lips. I got mine for free in 3 pieces, with a section a couple inches or so just missing that I had to fill. His was complete, but also 3 pieces thanks to FedEx.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Faye;2043408 said:
Brad, thank you so much for the thoughtful response to my thread. I really appreciate the time that you took to read it, and your comments cheered up my morning. I absolutely agree with your suggestion for snow tires. I have some BFGs on there now, which are fantastic for tread life, but are no good for any sort of cold weather. I plan on running them down to SIV, and burning them up on the racetrack and the hundreds of miles between here and there, and throwing them away. Since I work at a shop, I have also had the luxury of saving myself a good set of 4 sticky tires for the summer seasons also. When the BFGs are gone, I will replace them with good winter tires for my mk4 wheels.

I am so glad that I have inspired you, that makes the time that I put into writing this worth it!
Sounds like a plan then. Between my old lady, myself, and her parent's car, we have a few sets of summer tires sitting in the basement. To have that many sets of wheels and tires when I was younger, ahhh... that would have been nice haha. But yeah, twice a year, I have a tire changing party, good times and good traction.

Looking forward to seeing your car at SIV. I'm doing my absolute best to make sure my car is there. It won't be pretty, but it should be fun. I've been meaning to post up a build thread myself, but waiting to get to a big reveal or two with my friends from back in Arizona before posting up on here. Whole lot of theory, hopes, and dreams on my end. If it all works out like it has in my head, it should be a well sorted car. :)

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
I dont think I need to write a stirring testament to dedication or encouragement, as its been done.....BUT......you obviously have a drive and dedication not many have. Im barely into my build, and have felt discouragement over less. Granted my car is a distant priority in my life atm, but if I had an ounce of your drive...well.

Anyhow, great work. Best of luck and well wishes. Im typing this to Sheppard - Geronimo....great song btw.

Read some of the encouragement here with that playing......wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_EXAyGCkw

Worth a listen. If you wanna see how much of a cluster I AM DEALING with.........lol...check out my build.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...f-anything-clever....so-its-my-89-Supra-build.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
te72 I will be at SIV with multicolored wheels and multicolored panels. I doubt my engine bay will even be the way I want it by then. I love seeing progress being made. I like the "not pretty" ones because they tell your story. I look forward to seeing yours there.

Thank you, bonylad. Doesn't ever hurt to hear it again. I do really tend to forget at times, because I always feel like I'm slackin lol :D I eat sleep and breathe the car. I look forward to checking out your build!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Alright, so I am weak (kind of) and I am breaking down and putting a shout out for some help. Somehow, the Universe has lined me up to keep moving forward to make it to Formula Drift at the Evergreen Speedway. I have an opportunity to have my Engine Bay professionally sprayed, so I just have to get it ready. The problem is, that it has to be done next week, (what took me over a month to do, with every second of my spare time) when the painter is going to be at my shop doing work on another non-customer car after hours. (I can't afford/don't really want to tow my car somewhere, and he is volunteering supplies, paint, and letting me put the tab on my account at work to pay off as I can). And, I am taking my ASE tests in Brakes and Steering and Suspension this weekend, so I *must* study to avoid failing the tests and owing my boss $150 or whatever.

Okay, I'll get to the point.

This Saturday, April 4th from 1pm - 5pm I am having a "sanding party" at my work, Atomic Auto on 2510 NE Sandy Blvd in Portland, OR

Anyone who shows up I will pay $10 an hour to help me get this done. You can stay and help as long as you would like. I am not sure if the shop will be open at all, but we can use the bathroom at Church bar when they open, because they are cool like that! I will provide beer and pizza! I will also supply materials. Just please let me know if you are able to join me so I know how much to get/bring/prepare/etc. Let me know what size rubber gloves you would like any. Let me know what you like on your pizza. I will also cover everyone's first drink at the awesome bar across the street that I drink at daily if you stay with me until we finish up at 5pm ;) haha. No really.

What needs to happen is:

1) Remove masking. All of my old masking needs to come off. (The primer stuck to my tape, paper, and plastic, and flaked off into the drying paint.) :-/ This time, though, I am not using tape on the brake lines, I am using TIN FOIL. While the tape is off of the brake lines, I want to get all of the old white paint off of them too, or at least sanded smooth since I will be wrapping the all after she's painted.

2) Sand down drips and places where the primer flakes ruined the texture. I started painting, (of course, as you saw) and covered one side of the transmission tunnel and the top half of the passenger's side fender. If its smooth then make sure all shiny surfaces are scuffed with scotchbrite.

3) Make sure that the entire thing (or mostly where can be seen well with engine in) all gets wet sanded smooth with a finer grit (since the paint is going to be thinner going through a gun).

4) Then, everything needs to be re-masked.

Some pictures of the worst parts:

sm_photo_missing.jpg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

So far I have 2 definite volunteers, and one more as long as she is not having her baby that day :) ! Anyone else who would like to devote some of their valuable weekend time would be awesome, and I would totally appreciate you!

Thanks,
Faye