Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
geza7yra.jpg

Bye bye panasports for now.... Bought a set if stock mk4 wheels on CL for $100.... Not bad and they're pretty straight. Brought my bent wheel to 3 different wheel shops in the Portland/Vancouver area before I found a place that would touch it.... Wheelkraft ended up breaking it during the straightening process :'( but are now trying to repair it.

The offset on those wheels kind of kills me but whatcha gonna do :( maybe some wheel spacers for the time being and kill my wheel bearings while I wait/search for another panasport g7.....

enu5apaz.jpg

Currently writing this post while getting my fenders rolled at VIP performance.... Offset plus new fender caused some serious tire rub and I almost lost a tire to sidewall damage ..... Thankfully I noticed in time!!!

enytyve7.jpg

Sheet metal is crazy to work with. You bend one side and something on the absolute opposite side of the car is affected.... Everything will be all great but I think "Well jeez.... If I could only move this another quarter inch ... It will line up perfectly....." And then what do you know all of a sudden the headlight motor transmissions scrape against the body and the hood doesn't latch....

I have so much respect for people who do body work now!!!

On the positive side of things, I will be cruising in the Gorge this weekend with Toyota Syndicate NW :)

Maybe I will be seeing some of you there!!!

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Wow just read it all. Your honesty about everything was refreshing. You have showed me how much of a slacker I am. Time to dust off my supra and start workimg on her again.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hey Faye, I've been slacking and just now finally sat down to read your build thread. I know you've let me know here and there via text what has been happening since we met last time during the end of Summer (and the impromptu group camping trip we all had fun on) but holy shit God damn sonofabitch bastard you've been busy! I thought I had accomplished a lot during the year and a half I've owned my car! If I ever wore hats, I would take it off for you. Awesome job! Also, thanks a ton for getting me my Toyota parts! If you ever need anything from me, let me know. I wish I could make the cruise Saturday but I can't be that far from base this weekend.

Also, I've made my fair share of mistakes on the road. That's why I mainly build cars now. I'm a shitty driver. Villy can testify that after the onramp anti-lag experience, I can be a bit of a d-bag too. Maybe that will teach him to ride my ass! :sarcasm: I've since unchecked the anti-lag option on AEM.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the wheels are 3 piece you could get custom barrells made to what ever offset you wanted. Can be a bit expensive tho.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Pyro15D;1996932 said:
Villy can testify that after the onramp anti-lag experience, I can be a bit of a d-bag too. Maybe that will teach him to ride my ass! :sarcasm: I've since unchecked the anti-lag option on AEM.

Oh..... Are you not supposed to use that when someone is unnecessarily on your ass:-\
Woops (but it works soo well and is less obvious that it was intentional (and safer for the supra) then brake checking)

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
jdmfreak;1995788 said:
She ended up paying about a quarter of what I thought it would cost

Faye;1996100 said:
I was denied by 3 places because of how bad it was. Mine was out 4.5" on pass front side!! That's unheard of but it went well and she drives pretty straight haha just need to get another alignment and put some good wheels back on!!!:)

Faye;1996101 said:
$350 to straighten :)

Sweet mother F8$%^@# Jesus that's soo cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow..... i'm astonished.

Why does Australia have to be expensive these days.... :3d_frown:

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Oh my god you guys are funny:) yeah I can update.... I should really write on here more, I'm sorry!! I'm just not super huge on social media at all so sometimes getting on the internet is a struggle. So ... I forgot where I left off so I'll just tell you what I am doing now:

First of all, Van: thanks for the torque plate you are a lifesaver. Brian told me that another supra ower had volunteered it for my use and I am so grateful! I had no idea it was you:)

So after Nationals, I drove my car for the rest of the summer, making several trips to the border of Canada where a new friend of mine lives:) On one of these trips, my transmission stopped going into, and staying into first gear. I knew I had to do something about it, and thinking that I may be able to find a new trans and swap it in, and also replacing my headgasket (I finally stopped being in denial and just admitted I was losing mass amounts of coolant) ... but then I did some research, found out that R154s really are not as cheap as the transmission I've replaced 3 times in my Rabbit, and decided I would just yank both the motor in trans. I did this in September, on a weekend where there was a cruise going on in Canada that I desperately wished I was attending.... I was alone in the shop and had never pulled a motor in a Supra before. Man, they say its worse going back in so this will be a struggle!! Maybe I will be able to find a helping hand for that part.

I have some pictures that I will post up at some point, but basically pulled the motor and discovered that my headgasket, not only was a stock composite one (despite what the previous owner had posted in his for sale ad) and that it had blown on the notorious Cylinder #6. I had annihilated the first gear operating sleeve (or... a year of me driving it and countless miles from other people beating on it). Thank god I took a class on transmissions a few years ago when I applied for a scholarship to do some schooling. I at least figured out how to tear the thing apart.

Fast forward to today:
So, I will be getting the head and block back from M&B cylinder heads this Friday. Then, I'll be installing the new pistons, old rods with new bushings, ARP hardware etc.. The block was old, worn, and had to be bored over... No big deal. (side note: I still need to purchase a spring compressor tool and maybe some tool to install the springs also. I'm limited by funds (and my pathetic $15/hr wage with no overtime allowed. :-/). I had the head pressure tested, washed, resurfaced, and new valve guides and seals. Brian also adjusted the valves for me because he's a badass:) I put about 40 hours into porting and polishing the head (had some help from my boyfriend for several hours too during a couple weekends!) and I think it turned out pretty sweet. I'll know for sure when I get it on a flow bench later...

Block was bored over and resurfaced also for my metal headgasket. Crank polished and mic'ed, new bearings... new rod bushings.

Now I've just got to put it all together...

I am still waiting on my HKS stopper Headgasket, oil pump, and a few random front engine seals. I scored a factory Toyota oil pump through WorldPac for less than $200. Thanks, work.:) there was nothing wrong with mine, and I had no oiling issues that I know of, but I figure that while I am here, I might as well replace it. It's just cheap insurance for later. The whole point is building this thing to be the most reliable a 7M can be...

While the engine is out I've washed and degreased the entire engine bay, scuffed it all up and brushed on some paint. Oh, and shaved and cleaned up the engine bay a little bit, too. I painted it white. I used a 3-part marine grade paint that resists heat and chemicals. Sweet. Also it took so long to dry that the brushstrokes are invisible. I used the same paint before like 6 years ago to paint the engine bay of my VW Rabbit. It looks awesome. And super glossy! I have some more cleanup to do, but it's well on it's way.

The other thing I'm waiting on right now is an operating sleeve for my R154. I picked up a few syncros from the dealer and marlin crawler billet shift forks and first gear thrust washer etc. Kind of a cheap, quick rebuild but I just want it back on the road, goddamnit.

By the way, I apologize for having no pictures up this time I normally post a million and a half, but I'm writing from my phone, and I'm too technologically inept to figure out how to upload a picture or 2,222 pictures so I'll do it from my computer later.

And thanks again for your continued interest in my build... You are making my first build thread a success!!