Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
Faye;1979135 said:
I have the VIN tattooed on my wrist for fucks sake

Your kidding us, right?

Faye;1981439 said:
OKay.... I see you all give up. Toyotas have the flywheel bolted to the crank.... VWs have the flywheel on the trans side. Looking at the clutch "flywheel side" label... that would be installed backwards on a Toyota :D

So your saying theres a splined shaft coming off the crank that sticks into the clutch on the trans? You sure about that?

Last edited:

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Is the clutch sprung for one direction of rotation?is that the reason they say flywheel side?
If not that would still be wrong no??

bysa9ugy.jpg

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Bmettie;1981466 said:
Your kidding us, right?

Nope! C'mon.... look how honest I've been on this thread, think I'm gonna lie about something dumb like that??

(pics or it didn't happen??)
p1981554_1.jpg

Bmettie;1981466 said:
So your saying theres a splined shaft coming off the crank that sticks into the clutch on the trans? You sure about that?

Ha! That's creative! No, no that's not what I am saying. Sorry.... I guess I didn't think I'd have to explain it but when I think about it, nothing VW does makes any sense.... the pressure plate actually bolts to the crank. Maybe this picture will help:
p1981554_2.jpg

On those little fingers in the middle there sits a disc with an indent in it that clips on.... technical terms escape me after an 11 hour day and a few beers.... okay.... push in on disc, pressure plate forces friction disc into flywheel, tada! Flywheel bolts to the pressure plate housing there.... Jeez, I should have taken more pictures, eh?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
There is a pushrod that goes through the center of the input shaft that engages the spring.

Anyways, who cares. The VW isn't really very relevant here. Still waiting on the damn bodyshop to have a free day to straighten. The most recent downpour of snow and freezing rain was good for business apparently, but bad for me...

Did make a little progress, though. I went up to jdmfreak's house to strip some suspension parts off of his spare supra (plan is to put her back together and drive her out of the body shop, thus acquiring all my parts now...) and what the hell not only was he nice enough to donate the parts to my build, but he took them off of the car for me. Princess is living up to her namesake right here....

p1981664_1.jpg

never mind the parts and futon mattress that I randomly tote around with me everywhere I go....

Still needing 3 things to acquire:
- fan
- radiator
- new set of clear fogs
- get both rear wheels straightened, or... replaced D': (temporarily while I figure out how/where to repair them)

Anyone recommend a good aftermarket radiator that they have had success with?? I do not want plastic. Really liked that my car still had the original rad in good condition boo... It actually doesn't leak (hooked up pressure tester to it and holds 14psi) but is more of a parallelogram rather than a rectangle...
jacobi4.gif

Not sure if its possible or smart to be bending it back...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'd just buy better radiator or if you're on a budget try to find used aftermarket in the classified ( actually saw a good one just now, but it was sold) or you can just go with OEM replacement for now.

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
Have to commend you on sticking with it Faye I know what it is like to have the thing you put so much work into get messed up bad, can't wait to see how the car turns out this time with all the hardwork you're putting in again.

If you're looking at aftermarket rads I suggest a koyo, I have one and fits really well. I actually think someone is selling a used one right now in the for sale section for under $150.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
You see, the worst part about any sort of project for me, is the part where you have to hand it over to somebody else.
This can happen for any number of reasons: don't have the know-how/ability to do the work yourself or don't have the experience/skill to do the job to the caliber that you want it done, don't have the desire, lack of proper tools/machinery to finish part of the project, don't have enough free time to do it in a timely fashion...

All of these situations (aside from the lack of desire), and several combinations of them, have happened to me more than once. Every time, it seems to make me more determined to be as self reliant is possible. In this case though.... I just can't afford a frame straightener, and now this step is kind of putting a hold on my project.

So, I was on the East coast since last Wednesday visiting my family. I had high hopes of coming back West to a straight Supra.... but sadly no such luck. After the snow storm and sudden influx of customers, the owner of the body shop got sick all week... the entire time that I was gone. Ack. No progress. I am going to head out there on Thursday, though (my day off) and replace that knuckle and grab both of my rear wheels that need straightening. I am going to bring them to a couple local places to get some price quotes and more information on fixing them. Taking them apart would be nice, because it would give me a chance to polish them really nicely in all of those hard-to-get places :D. And I plan on keeping the centers black. Probably will get the centers powdercoated since the paint is chipping...

All of this is good reason to haul ass at work and rock the flat rate, make some $$$.

In other (good) news: I have a couple of parts on their way to me...
mishimoto%20wrx%20radiator.jpg

Went with the Mishimoto since I have 2 friends that have them and they seem to work quite well. I don't like randomly buying something that I haven't seen in use, or at least know a little bit about.

$T2eC16N,!)sE9swmYlSbBQR9TqF+,g~~60_35.JPG

And.... oh yes. I rock the awesome Ebay clear turn signals. Been wanting the side markers, too... since the orange with my yellow fogs was too.... colorful. Might as well while I am at it.

Now all I need is a fan and I will have every part that I need. :) Anyone got a stock fan they want to sell me?? :D The only other thing left to buy is more paint.

Another thing that I have been working on to pass the time is re-making my Shine front lip. It actually came on the car, which is convenient because that is one of the first superficial items that I would have purchased anyway.... except the poor thing was ziptied together in three different places.... Anyhow the thing is just fiberglass, so I am just repairing the breaks and strengthening it with carbon fiber pieces. I was debating making a diy post about it but it wasn't really that tough of a project. I took some photos but I don't know where my digital camera went, so I will have to upload those later.

Lastly, this really isn't related but who cares, I also got some additions to my sleeve tattoo while I was back East. Though you all would probably appreciate seeing it...

p1983388_1.jpg

Well its kind of related, there are Supra parts attached to my dragon :)
And no, that's not a 7m above it.

More later hopefully good updated Thursday.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Great to see aother great car coming from the area.. but theres a couple of places out on the west side up in ceder hills that do wheels, i got my MKIV TTs done there..

good to see youre keeping your car after both wrecks, i took mine off good ol'logie trail while going with a bunch of MKIV guys from this side of the hill.. witch road were you on?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
bloodasp90;1983414 said:
Great to see aother great car coming from the area.. but theres a couple of places out on the west side up in ceder hills that do wheels, i got my MKIV TTs done there..

good to see youre keeping your car after both wrecks, i took mine off good ol'logie trail while going with a bunch of MKIV guys from this side of the hill.. witch road were you on?

Yeah, I am calling a place in Beaverton in about 15 minutes.....

pm sent ;)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
So, I did get a chance to do some work to her on Thursday.... thought I'd share a few photos. Also, good news is that there is another straighten job that is on the schedule for late next week, so my Supra will be done here really soon :) :) :)

Put her up on the clamps:

p1984664_1.jpg

Hmmm oops, guess I need a new one of those....

p1984664_2.jpg

used to look like this:

p1984664_3.jpg

Swapping out knuckles, good view of the clamps....

p1984664_4.jpg

Old one:

p1984664_5.jpg

p1984664_6.jpg

Replaced all of the body panels that are going to be replaced:

p1984664_7.jpg

p1984664_8.jpg

Driver's side fender, hood, front and rear bumper, nose piece. All the others will just be pulled out and reshaped. Just hung on there for now so that when straightening, the panels will be aligned without any crazy gaps or anything...

Blue fender and bumpers thanks to jdmfreak, as well as hopefully a fan later on today.... the hood from my parts Supra... our once fairly complete parts cars are now starting to really looks like a mini scrap yard.... I feel like not so long ago, I had 2 almost complete Supras....

p1984664_9.jpg

p1984664_10.jpg

and of course, a chicken picture:

p1984664_11.jpg

Much thanks to Jdmfreak again for hosting my parts car, otherwise I'd be spending a lot of money on parts..... plus, I'm kind of attached to the dumb thing. It's saved my ass more than a few times here and there when working on my Supra....