Supra Drifting ? Plausable?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I have a 91 MKIII shell I want to get into the drift scene. I have this shell doing nothing and I thought its RWD LSD.... Why not. :icon_bigg But I started thinking I have never seen a MKIII supra really drift. Im talking legitimate drifting not some home video stuff. I wanna drift on a track with opponents and actual scores..... you get the idea. My question is could I build this car to drift. Im positive it can poweslide and sure I can get it to do some slip n slides but a nice base for something competitive. Successful drifters choose 240sx and AE86 and for good reason, they are light and torquey. Supra is a bit heavy so im just looking for input because ive got the chassis. I can get a 240sx for around 5500 bucks locally but I have too many cars already. Im not certain if Supra chassis is a good solid choice for this type event. Thanks in advance and I appoligize if im ignorant. ~UnkillablePaseo:wavey:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
86.5-88 would be better choice as there lighter and there's more of them. Less 91 built and if it's nice I wouldn't want to crash it.

People drift mk3. It's starting to get more popular.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah I was afraid of that answer, it is a hard top chassis. like I said I love 240SX =- )
hvyman;1871677 said:
86.5-88 would be better choice as there lighter and there's more of them. Less 91 built and if it's nice I wouldn't want to crash it.

People drift mk3. It's starting to get more popular.
The body is clean, but the car has been molested. and has been in front end collision ... enough to crunch the front end .

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
unkillablepaseo;1871678 said:
Yeah I was afraid of that answer, it is a hard top chassis. like I said I love 240SX =- )

The body is clean, but the car has been molested. and has been in front end collision ... enough to crunch the front end .

Any pictures, how bad is the front end?

I'd say go with the 240, it's lighter, better weight distribution, superior handling, and has better availability of parts. The last part is probably the most important when you start treating everything on the car as if it was an expendable item.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
SupraMedical68;1871685 said:
Any pictures, how bad is the front end?

I'd say go with the 240, it's lighter, better weight distribution, superior handling, and has better availability of parts. The last part is probably the most important when you start treating everything on the car as if it was an expendable item.
Appreciate the input ill probably just sell that chassis then , its just collecting bird poo at my house . Ive been leaning toward 240sx for sometime now... I wanna go racing so bad I cant see straight hahaa.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
If it's a shell drop an LS motor in and go to town. Popular enough swap and there's definitely support for the motor.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I say drift it. I do it. It's fun. It has power to start with and you can definetly modify it a lot. Probably the worst parts about it are the lack of steering angle and the stock lsd isn't that great. But of course that can be changed. If it is in fact a shell it would give you the opportunity to build up a solid drift car. Lot's of work but then you wouldn't want to crash it, making you a better driver lol

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
welcome to the club first of all like me your going to need to the supra on a diet and strip everything, also reasons you never see them drift is there 80 toyota supra a 240 sx is as easy to find as a civic lol there pretty much he civic of the drift world but we still love em' :)

but yeah buy a 87 or 86 na and do na for street drifting , 7mgte for kinda bad drifting but burnouts all day and 2j or 1j for legit all around the track drifting

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
but def do it when people around here see a mk3 at our drift practices a crowd gathers for the rare site, its still a supra people love them but people love them more drifting because you never see them.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Weight is not that big of an issue. Balance is, and the MK3 is actually well balanced. If you setup the suspension properly, the weight is not much of a factor. Making sure the chassis is stiff and the spring rates, dampeners, camber, caster, tow and all that is optimal, that is what really matters.

A NA 7m will make enough power to drift. However, if you want to do big smokey drifts, you'll need more ponies. Easy enough. LS or 1uz swap will take care of that. An LS motor probably weighs less than a 7m making the weight distribution even closer to 50/50.

Don't follow the masses and drift a 240 just cause it's easier or lighter. Don't conform.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MPR;1872784 said:
+1 on the 1uz. :)
You know... even though it is in a ~3800 lb car (LS400) with an auto behind it, I find that the 1uz is a great engine. Good response, and plenty of power for only being a 4.0L. Would be a lot of fun with a manual behind it...

MPR;1872789 said:
An LS motor probably weighs less than a 7m making the weight distribution even closer to 50/50.
Quite a bit less actually. the 1uz is right around the 370-380 lb marker (Google it, there is a great site with dimensions and weights of the engine), the LS even lighter. And more importantly, it is slightly shorter, which contributes to better balance still, especially if you relocate the battery to the middle or rear of the car.

Just keep in mind... drifting breaks shit. There is NO avoiding that, no matter how good you are. Hope your wallet is overflowing, or you're patient. :)

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
well also depends on your drifting type my friends and I do street drifting so a 7mge is fine enough in a stripped supra and when i say stripped i dont mean took the seats out i mean legit motor tranny shell dash seat steering wheel pedals lol none of the options the came with the sucker are in anymore :( sad cuz it is a 87 GT trim. but yeah 7mgtes arent great at drifting from what ive seen o be honest i thinks its just the headgasket ordeal like he said drifting breaks shit and 7mgtes HG weak point, and if you rly want to go track style like legit huge drifts......2JZ-GTE only option lol

Status
Not open for further replies.