Stripped down supra weight?

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We are trying to sort out our build, and have come to the tranny. We are hoping to get away with using a powerglide, but the general concensis is that if the car weighs more then 3200lbs, you should be going with a th400 or something similar.

Im new to supras, so on to my question.

Im looking for an estimated weight on our car. It will be completely stripped of everything not needed. Heater core, fans, a/c, etc etc. We have a full 10 point cage in the car, with kirkey seats. All the interior sound deadening material has been scraped off the car, as well as the insolating pads that are up against the firewall/surrounding area.

The car will have a 2jz engine with a gt47-88mm turbo, powereglide OR th400 trans, stock irs with fully adjustable coil overs.

If you have anything similar, or can possibly give me a general idea of how much the car is going to weigh it would be greatly apreaciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Depends how much you cut out.

Search for the thread I made over the summer. It's got weights of a lot of things.

You can definitely get the car under 3200, but depending on how much you cut out and how much the stuff you're adding weighs, you might be close.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wiisass;1273178 said:
Depends how much you cut out.

Search for the thread I made over the summer. It's got weights of a lot of things.

You can definitely get the car under 3200, but depending on how much you cut out and how much the stuff you're adding weighs, you might be close.

I didnt really have any plans to cut anything out, other then the spare tire well, because it was rusted out. I am also keeping in the power mirrors/windows. There isnt much going back in the car, other then a dash pad and some carbon fiber door covers.

Ryan

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
What will be the purpose of this car? Strictly a track car, or daily driver with power?

Carbon fiber hood and plexi glass will go a long way toward taking back off the weight added by the roll cage.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The car is mainly a track car, the will be driven on the streets. We have pretty much stripped out everything that isnt needed in the car. Hvac, heater core, any emissions crap, abs, a/c, etc etc. Its a hard top 87 chassis. The only downfall, is it will have a heavy 2jz engine.

Im just looking to see if its possible to get this car down to 3000lbs without having to cut anything out. Im not to keen on doing lexan yet, but if it comes down to it, i might do the rear hatch and side windows.

Ryan

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
The MKIII should have NO problem getting down that low. No ac, no ps, no cc, no tems, no abs, gutted interior, lightweight seats, ect. It all comes down to what creature comforts you are willing to part with.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
i dont know about your area but your going to need some of that stuff for safety and smog inspection .if your goina street drive it .unless you know somebody wink wink .like the heater core (the defrost has to work) also the abs has to be their if oem on your model .and that emmisions crap for visual insp . im not up on national standards but i have the pa licenses for insp & im

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wiisass;1273295 said:
3000 is going to be hard with the cage without really cutting anything out.

But if you can replace some heavier components with lighter stuff, you'll help to balance out the weight of the car.

When you say replacing heavier components with lighter stuff, what exactly are you refering to? We have replaced the seats with lightweight kirkey seats, other then that, possibly lexan on the rear windows/side windows. Possibly some lighter breaks, willwoods or something similar.

As for emmision testing/inspections, i live in Manitoba Canada. We dont have any kind of inspection or smog testing :D.

Ryan

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
87tomanymods;1273298 said:
i dont know about your area but your going to need some of that stuff for safety and smog inspection .if your goina street drive it .unless you know somebody wink wink .like the heater core (the defrost has to work) also the abs has to be their if oem on your model .and that emmisions crap for visual insp . im not up on national standards but i have the pa licenses for insp & im

Im glad to hear that other places are alot more restrictive then around here. All they do around here is stick a sniffer up the pipe for deq tags, and for inspections all they do is make sure the vin is correct in a few places. Or atleast thats my experience

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Tranny selection should really be based more on the amount of power being made, the gear ratio, converter, and the tire type/size. There are lots of guy in the domestic world with cars over 3200lbs that use glides. Cars that make well over 1500 hp on a small radial that need that high 1st gear to keep the tires from being blown right off. Places like Hughes, ATI, Rossler, and Mikes Transmission make very high end glides that wont care how much you weigh. With an 8.50 moly cage and most everythign gutted out my guess is in the 3000-3100 range without driver.

SupraRacer

Banned
Apr 10, 2005
St. Louis
i remember a few years back a guy stripped down the car to the frame, everything that could be unbolted and still roll around, and i belive the chassis still weighed 2300lbs. Understand this is without the motor, doors, fenders, hood, hatch, int..etc. Right now i essentially have that sitting in my driveway, and it took 3 decent sized guys to barely lift the front end off the ground 2" or so. Two of us couldnt manage to budge it.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
Janz99;1273330 said:
When you say replacing heavier components with lighter stuff, what exactly are you refering to? We have replaced the seats with lightweight kirkey seats, other then that, possibly lexan on the rear windows/side windows. Possibly some lighter breaks, willwoods or something similar.
Ryan

1 piece aluminum drive shaft, roughly 20 pounds drop

downpipe that cuts out the stock turbo elbow (and the 1st cat) few pounds drop. stock turbo elbow is solid cast iron, heavy!

stuff like that im guessing

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
SupraRacer;1273522 said:
i remember a few years back a guy stripped down the car to the frame, everything that could be unbolted and still roll around, and i belive the chassis still weighed 2300lbs. Understand this is without the motor, doors, fenders, hood, hatch, int..etc. Right now i essentially have that sitting in my driveway, and it took 3 decent sized guys to barely lift the front end off the ground 2" or so. Two of us couldnt manage to budge it.

a Stripped 240sx no engine/trans. half interior two of us couldn't move. but three of us could lift it several feet. . but we're pretty big guys.

I find it quite hard to believe the bare rolling chassis is 2300lbs.. I'll have to weigh mine.

My goal is 2800lbs with cage. I'd like 2700lbs but we'll see. Theres not enough solid info on MKIII weight. I knwo alot of people have the weight of interior parts and such, but not chassis specificly.

I remember a while ago someone stated that they weighed a bare chassis, with no subframes/doors. just windows. and it was supposibly like 550lbs.
Which sounds about right considering how beering the subframes and diff pig is.

two words. . . Speed holes . . . . . lots of speed holes.

Ok technically thats six

I'll do a write up on my scaled weights when my car is done.. If i can get some scales to my garage ill weigh the rolling chassis.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Slow66;1273468 said:
Tranny selection should really be based more on the amount of power being made, the gear ratio, converter, and the tire type/size. There are lots of guy in the domestic world with cars over 3200lbs that use glides. Cars that make well over 1500 hp on a small radial that need that high 1st gear to keep the tires from being blown right off. Places like Hughes, ATI, Rossler, and Mikes Transmission make very high end glides that wont care how much you weigh. With an 8.50 moly cage and most everythign gutted out my guess is in the 3000-3100 range without driver.

I 100% agree, and most of that has already been taken into consideration, but on the other end, this is going to be some what of a budget build. I plan to build the transmission myself, to try and keep the cost under 2000$ for the trans. It will be strong, but id just like to keep the car as light as possible in order to be as easy on the trans as i can.

Ive pretty much already settled on using the powerglide for the most part. We'll be using a smaller tire (27" x 10.5w) if we can manage to fit it in, and well be making enough power to warrant the higher gear ratio first.

Ryan

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Johnysupra;1273553 said:
a Stripped 240sx no engine/trans. half interior two of us couldn't move. but three of us could lift it several feet. . but we're pretty big guys.

I find it quite hard to believe the bare rolling chassis is 2300lbs.. I'll have to weigh mine.

My goal is 2800lbs with cage. I'd like 2700lbs but we'll see. Theres not enough solid info on MKIII weight. I knwo alot of people have the weight of interior parts and such, but not chassis specificly.

I remember a while ago someone stated that they weighed a bare chassis, with no subframes/doors. just windows. and it was supposibly like 550lbs.
Which sounds about right considering how beering the subframes and diff pig is.

two words. . . Speed holes . . . . . lots of speed holes.

Ok technically thats six

I'll do a write up on my scaled weights when my car is done.. If i can get some scales to my garage ill weigh the rolling chassis.

You should search for the thread I made a little while back. It had rough weights on a ton of things. It's probably the same place you got the chassis weight and that 550lbs was without anything on the chassis that could be removed except for the front tow hooks.

Janz99;1273330 said:

As for emmision testing/inspections, i live in Manitoba Canada. We dont have any kind of inspection or smog testing :D.

Ryan

Yeah, anything that you can replace with something lighter. Body panels, brakes, suspension parts, motor parts, gas tank, etc. Any little bit helps.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
I'm right around 3000 lbs with glide and cage... but my car is definitely not a street car..