Stretch's Digidash thread

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, thread resurrection heh. I do have updates, lots. However, I was going to start a new thread about it, but I guess since this one is back I can od it here.

**Word update**(pics in a little while)

I've been making a male mould to draw a one piece rear cluster shell from. It's getting there, and if i have time this week i should be able to pretty much finish it. I'll post pics ofcourse when done, and of the vacuum moulding process :). It'll be one piece, and hopefully look like Toyota had made it. I've stressed over gauge and clock/odometer placement a lot, but I came up with something that's as good as I can get.

Keep following this thread, it's about to get interresting ;).

The goal by end of this year? Have a LHD cluster that is as close to a factory-looking digital cluster as possible. Now who wants one!:biglaugh:
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yes! The digital supporters!! I like when people like what I like :biglaugh:.

On a related note, I'm not sure which direction to go, so I've been thinking about both ways intensely. I can either:
- keep all boards intact and flip the required one on the side, but the problem is I might run out of room on the sides due to the boards (although it should still fit).
or
- unmount all of the glass displays, fit them to a big pcb exactly how I please with w/e spacing I want, and run wires from the legs to their corresponding circuit boards which would be housed in a seperate box (brain box) either behind the dash somewhere else or just somewhere else :p. This cluster would be far lighter, and thiner.

Not sure which avenue to pursue. I figure if it's custom anyway why not do the second option, but the first option would be less work I think, and would be easier to sell ;).
eric

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
IMO i'd do the first option...and see if you can get it to fit nicely and work perfectly - if it works, it works - you know? just make sure you write up exactly how you mate it up with your ma70...so you can print out copies when you sell these..........i know i'll need one. :]

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Believe it or not, mating the cluster to the wiring is the least of my concerns. I'm more worried about appearance and getting it to look perfect enough for me. I'm my own worst critic ;). I'll see if I can do more work on the mould this Friday, maybe even finish it up so I can take pics and maybe buy some plastic over the weekend for a pull next week.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Micro update for anyone curious:

I'm still finishing my male mould. I used a silicone to seal a hole but it wasn't drying so I have to use another kind I used previously to do the job; waste of $5 and time. With midterms this week I've had little time to do much.

This came in the mail today though :)

p1433042_1.jpg

It has the oil pressure gauge on the far left side which my other one does not. I have been trying to get this cluster for a looong time ;).
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I know the time heh. School is the big hinderance. That and the fact I have no car at the moment, so public transit, and lack of money is making it hard to do anything. It's still ongoing though.
eric

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
alright...where's the write up!!??????? and i want to know about that TEMS controller as well...ok make a thread on your entire friggin dash!

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
knightrider, if you're going to show how you made it, start your own thread so people know to keep mine burried until I have time to work on mine :p. Due to exams and school work, plus lack of any money, I haven't been working on mine. I need to go buy some pcb boards, so until then I can't do work. I'm lifting the glass displays off the stock boards and onto pcb, so I reduce the space in the cluster, and it will also allow me to position the gauges as close to stock rhd as possible, only mirrored for lhd ;). I want mine to only look stock. Knightrider's is really awesome to be honest, but not stock looking; so I don't want it :).
eric

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Stretch;1471610 said:
knightrider, if you're going to show how you made it, start your own thread so people know to keep mine burried until I have time to work on mine :p. Due to exams and school work, plus lack of any money, I haven't been working on mine. I need to go buy some pcb boards, so until then I can't do work. I'm lifting the glass displays off the stock boards and onto pcb, so I reduce the space in the cluster, and it will also allow me to position the gauges as close to stock rhd as possible, only mirrored for lhd ;). I want mine to only look stock. Knightrider's is really awesome to be honest, but not stock looking; so I don't want it :).
eric

You've already achieved the stock look with the one you have been working on though havent you?