Stock temp gauge

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hey My stock water temp gauge has stopped working and obviously I dont feel comfortable driving my car until it is fixed. Does the dash have to be removed to fix it? What are some of the potential reasons for it not working? Other than the gauge just failed internally or something (hoping its a quick fix). Thanks All!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Check the connector to the temp sensor first. It's the sensor on the thermostat elbow with the small rectangular plug that fits on a sensor with a flat spade sticking out of it.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Well I haven't checked it per the tsrm but I'm pretty sure the sensor is functioning because it worked when I had the same sensor in my other supra a few months ago.. I'll look for how to check it and the wiring in the tsrm. Anyone know if it is the gauge if I have to take the dash out to fix it?

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
if it is the actual gauge not working then all you have to do is pull out the gauge cluster. the actual dash wouldn't have to come out.

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
if you have to pull the cluster it is super easy i think there is like not even 20 screws involved i did it in like 20 minutes and had it back in within 10 minutes.but if the guage doesnt work than i would replace it with a prosport or some aftermarket guage because the stock ones suck.im trying to convince my mom to order a prosport egt gauge.lol

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
You just have to take the cluster out. But as i have learned on here in the past few weeks, the stock gauge is not that reliable. Might be a good idea now since it's no longer working to put in a aftermarket temp gauge. You can get them at your local parts house fairly cheap. Just my .02

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
7EMPIRE;1550021 said:
Dont get sunpros please for the love of god!lol

For the love of looks but they are actually quite accurate. That is if you want a mechanical temp probe and oil line in your car...

And on the topic of replacing the factory gauges with aftermarket is there a write up anywhere for it?

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
stomis;1550037 said:
For the love of looks but they are actually quite accurate. That is if you want a mechanical temp probe and oil line in your car...

And on the topic of replacing the factory gauges with aftermarket is there a write up anywhere for it?

Yes there is a write up. It shows you how to install them in the factory holes in the cluster. Looks nice also. i have Sunpro Gauges and i think they look nice. Not to ricer.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hmm well if I'm going to take my cluster out, I may as well get some very reliable, nice looking ones. LOL. Any ideas on affordable gauges that will match the stock look and colors well?? I dont want just one gauge that sticks out like a store thumb LOL. I want it to look low key and stick with the stock toyota look/overrall theme LOL.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
BigKO;1550384 said:
Hmm well if I'm going to take my cluster out, I may as well get some very reliable, nice looking ones. LOL. Any ideas on affordable gauges that will match the stock look and colors well?? I dont want just one gauge that sticks out like a store thumb LOL. I want it to look low key and stick with the stock toyota look/overrall theme LOL.

Check out speed hut. they are very close. but they are closer to the 89+ dashes.

Hey check this out!

http://www.blackcatcustom.com/

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I got an autometer temp guage and on my first drive I though something was wrong because the damn thing wouldnt sit still for more than 2 mins at a time. I came to relize it was doing this because of its accuracy. I was used to the stock one that moved to the middle and stopped for the rest of the day. If I had to guess why stock temp guages are terrible in the accuracy department it would be because the majority of the population would be bringing their cars back to the dealer saying " the temps are all over the place its broken" when infact nothing is broken. They just dumbed down the cars so dumb people can use them.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah those speed huts are pretty nice. hmm so how do you like your autometer? And which series of gauge do you have? Lol autometer seems to have some cheap entry options. I would assume they are accurate with how populAr they are. But that doesnt necessarily mean they are good lmao

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
BigKO;1550639 said:
Yeah those speed huts are pretty nice. hmm so how do you like your autometer? And which series of gauge do you have? Lol autometer seems to have some cheap entry options. I would assume they are accurate with how populAr they are. But that doesnt necessarily mean they are good lmao

Just so, I'm clear, The black cat web site is different than the speed hut site, just in case I wasn't clear.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah i noticed that. Looks like they do custom gauge faces and bezels? Or is it an entirely new set of gauges as well? I was just skimming. Have you used the black cat products? Or has anyone on here? I wonder how pricey they are.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Well I have a spare cluster that I know has a working temp gauge. Im going to be swapping the gauge over tomorrow. Any tips or useful tricks that i should look out for or will help save time?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I would take a look at the connector again before having to remove the cluster. Mine was not working once in a while and because my connector was slowly backing it self out and not getting good power.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah thanks... Im actually putting the cluster back in right now. I had actually checked the connector several times, and made sure that it was making good contact. Didnt help at all. Thanks though I just hope this fixes it :)