Stock Gauge Cluster LED Replacements??

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked already but i've searched through multiple threads and found no answers.

I'm trying to replace all the stock green cluster lighting with blue led's. Does anyone know what leds i will need as direct replacements? If there is no such thing as direct replacement leds then what is needed to do what i want?

thanks!

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

This is where I got all mine from. Awesome site!
You will need I think its about five or so 194's, and like two 74's. I dont remember the exact number of each bulb you need, but I think thats what I ordered. Those are for sure the bulb types you need though.

Super easy to do, grab a phillips screw driver and take off the upper cover around your cluster, then remove a few screws holding the cluster on and disconnect a few connectors. Comes right out no problem. And from there, its a straight foreward swap, twist and the bulb comes out, and twist the new led's in.

You might as well do your key ring to match as well in blue. I have all my gauges + the key ring in blue, and im very happy with it. THe key ring bulb is a single #74.

Make sure if you're going to do this to get the "WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs" (5 way) for your cluster, otherwise you will have dark spots.

Hope this helps man!
Good luck.

(I just remembered, there was one problem I ran into after doing this led swap, and that being that the little low fuel light below the fuel gauge always stays on now.. not too sure why maybe something with resistance .. havnt really looked into it too much yet though)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
There's already a thread about this. I used the 5-way LED's from the aforementioned site, and it looks perfect, and the dimmer still works like stock.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
There are many threads about this, I was just looking at them last night! But I don't blame you, there was a lot of questions but vague responses, but the answers were there is just took some looking.

It depends what you want to do.

For the gauge cluster alone-- 5 194's and 1 74.

If you want to do the key ring, foot courtesy, ash tray, cigarette lightes ring, and glove box then that's 5 more 74s.

I haven't tried any of them yet so I dont know the differences in types personally. But from the PICTURES I seen and from what I READ, the way's are best :) I hope that answers your questions.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
We desperately need a sticky for interior lighting FAQ. We have at least 3 or 4 long threads that detail the process, but it's a bitch to track down the 2 or 3 posts that actually contain the needed information.

I might try to compile a quick FAQ later tonight.

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
suprarx7nut;1082379 said:
We desperately need a sticky for interior lighting FAQ. We have at least 3 or 4 long threads that detail the process, but it's a bitch to track down the 2 or 3 posts that actually contain the needed information.

Please do. With pics if at all possible.

I really want to do ALL my interior lighting - but before I go through with it I think I would want to see pictures of other peoples work.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CaptMKIII;1082382 said:
Please do. With pics if at all possible.

I really want to do ALL my interior lighting - but before I go through with it I think I would want to see pictures of other peoples work.

I'm in the exact same boat. I haven't had any personal experience with it, so my thread will be a compilation of other people's info. But I think I'll start right now and see If i cant bang out the start of a FAQ thread for the lighting issues people ever-so-commonly ask about.

**edit: Thread started: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76463
Please post or PM me anything you think should be added or anything you would like to see addressed.

Last edited:

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Wow Thanks for all the responses. Once again my apologies for reposting questions that have been answered. The reason i asked though is because i have seen the above site before and seen what other people have suggested in terms of the type of bulb, however, the quantities were always varying so i did not know how trust worthy the information was.

Now another question. I am going to be scraping off and repainting my needles red. What lights are used in the stock setup to illuminate the needles. Are they white lights, or orange, and will i need to change these as well in order to get the red color when lit up at night?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Kosh;1082423 said:
Wow Thanks for all the responses. Once again my apologies for reposting questions that have been answered. The reason i asked though is because i have seen the above site before and seen what other people have suggested in terms of the type of bulb, however, the quantities were always varying so i did not know how trust worthy the information was.

Now another question. I am going to be scraping off and repainting my needles red. What lights are used in the stock setup to illuminate the needles. Are they white lights, or orange, and will i need to change these as well in order to get the red color when lit up at night?

To change the needles, I believe you need to take them off, sand the current paint off, then paint desired color. Only paint the backside of the needle, NOT THE FRONT.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
suprarx7nut;1082426 said:
To change the needles, I believe you need to take them off, sand the current paint off, then paint desired color. Only paint the backside of the needle, NOT THE FRONT.

I realise this already but will i have to change the light to get a desired effect?

Also when ordering the leds i'm just confirming that i want the:
74-x Wedge Base LED bulb
WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb

Do i have the correct #74 or is it supposed to be a twist lock? Which ones are they specifically?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Kosh;1082431 said:
I realise this already but will i have to change the light to get a desired effect?

Also when ordering the leds i'm just confirming that i want the:
74-x Wedge Base LED bulb
WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb

Do i have the correct #74 or is it supposed to be a twist lock? Which ones are they specifically?

The needle, i believe, is lit by the other gauge lights. I dont think it has it's own light. But again, I haven't done it. I'm just going off of what I remember reading. :dunno:

The #74 should be the standard push in type. I'm not sure if you want the 2 lumen one or the 6 lumen, high power one. When I do mine, I'll get both and compare, but that might not be for another month or more. The 6 lumen looks to be a bit larger and might not quite fit. :dunno:

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
suprarx7nut;1082435 said:
The #74 should be the standard push in type. I'm not sure if you want the 2 lumen one or the 6 lumen, high power one. When I do mine, I'll get both and compare, but that might not be for another month or more. The 6 lumen looks to be a bit larger and might not quite fit. :dunno:

Ok well i am ordering both right now and will fill you all in as soon as i receive them!!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
suprarx7nut;1082379 said:

Damm You got that right, let's make this a sticky

How do you remove the needles?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Koenigturbo;1082552 said:
Damm You got that right, let's make this a sticky

See this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76463
Hopefully when the thread is near complete, it will become a sticky or a part of the reference/tech tips section.

koenigturbo said:
How do you remove the needles?

I think they just pop off.

juan jz;1082581 said:
Does anyone have pictures of gauge cluster with leds on

Search for tag LED and you should find a bunch. You can also see the link above for one pic of how white looks.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
hey guys I'm ordering the bulbs for my gauge cluster but I also want to do evrything else like ashtray light and the ignition ring. Can someone confirm that Guyana's post is correct? I just want to make sure before I go and order the wrong things lol.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
the interior lights... I have seen the CTS/CTS-V folks swap ALL thier interior lights to LED. I will try to get an address of where they purchase them.

one thing worth mentioning.

The analog dimmer will work but to really get the full potential out of the LEDs. Requires a PWM based dimmer circuit.