Steering rack Rebuild.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
it's the only problem about the way the country and industry is heading. If it's broken, replace it. If you can't replace it, you're SOL...

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
lewis15498;1447353 said:
Ian you shouldnt be allowed to answer questions on if something is DIY friendly. Not only do you have more skills, tools, and experience than most shops, but you also machine your own tools lol.

Yup, a true hot-rodder..........

Edit: (guess the modern term is 'Tuner')

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
nosechunks;1448588 said:
Would it be cheaper to just put an aftermarket rack in? I dont really know what they go for. I was thinking about doing this as well, my power steering is a little weak. I already know i need a new pump though. Already rebuilt the pump with new seals to stop it from leaking, but now it whines.

Zumtizzle, doesn't do off the shelf rebuilt parts, and neither should you!

;)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Rajunz;1448621 said:
I did mine and just used tools from around the shop. A large socket, large open end wrench, piece of pipe, etc.

p1448872_1.jpg

Considered doing it with a beer bottle; and the SST two ring compressors. :)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Moy;1448625 said:
it's the only problem about the way the country and industry is heading. If it's broken, replace it. If you can't replace it, you're SOL...

Kinda? But a lot of people are fixing what they have; arguably.

nosechunks;1448923 said:
Generally I would agree but when it's cheaper and easier, it's hard to resist! :biglaugh:

At the prices i was quoted; i can afford to fail. But i have a great feeling i won't!

IJ.;1448926 said:
MUCH better than the alternative you considered :evil2:

Imagine the look when your bud is looking for something in your toolbox....:nono:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Zumtizzle;1448940 said:
At the prices i was quoted; i can afford to fail. But i have a great feeling i won't!

Hey if it works out and its cheaper then replacing thats great for sure, but advance sells racks for $218 with a $60 core charge.

Whatever works though! Im all for rebuilds as i like taking things apart and seeing how it works. :icon_bigg

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
UPDATE

Every aftermarket kit didn't come fully loaded with everything i needed. So I decided to try one last source, and very glad I did!

Last Night afterhours, I spoke with a New Good Friend Ken Blake @ Royal Moore Toyota, and Administrator/Owner of Supra411.com, and he told me he'll see what he can do.

Fast forward to this morning and I get this reply!!

KBlake @ Supra411.com;26293 said:
Hi,

There is one coming into my California warehouse, ETA 11/20. I will get it ordered today on critical for you. Shoot me a PM with your name and billing/shipping addresses.

Thanks,
Ken

Needless to say, Ken, and Supra411.com will getting a lot more of my business!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
ALSO

Big Thanks to Lance (Rajuns) for the advice on the rebuild, and offering help! :icon_bigg

Also, Thanks Caleb (Clueless) for the Steal of a price on the RonnieK subframe, and steering rack bushings! :icon_bigg

dscf1283g.jpg

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Yesterday!

Went to go pull remove the steering rack and got punked!

dscf1296.jpg

So more steps are to be added! (air bag is disabled; btw...)

So does anyone have a say? Pull the wheel or not?

Today!

Decided to take a mental and visual inventory of what I have, and what i'll need.

Person who names everything gets a cookie! ;)

Hint: That's Gates LOL Plus -6 Push Lock, and those boxes are empty!

dscf1302c.jpg

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
that craftsmen hose clamp tool works wonders.

that harbor freight set *same one I got* is basically a one time use thing.. I had to bend mine back a few times.

dont forget a nickel for the tie rod puller.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^:( not liking the fact it's "one time use". Think i'll poke around Lowes or Home Depot next time i'm there for a Snap Ring Plier set. I'm going to go easy with the pitman arm puller; if it doesn't work i'll buy a full set like this;

66686.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!

[THUMB]http://i46.tinypic.com/2ai55hu.jpg[/THUMB]

Big Thanks to Ken Blake @ Royal Moore! Took 12 Business days to get it via "Rush" from Japan; But nonetheless, he got me the kit for me when others said it was discontinued!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO!

The SST's 09631-20081, and 09631-32020 came in last week. (Sorry Ian for late pics. But as requested!)

09631-20081

09631-32020