Stay 7M or go 1jz or 2jz?

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
sweet! drop me a PM and tell me how it works out! im really interested in that one. yea ill be going ARPS for sure. not really much oil consumption. prolly just fill it up with a quat of oil once every 3k miles aka once between oil changes..not really coolant consumption..just got an air buble in system so i gotta burp it out or something..and i was planning on going with the tanabe touring medallion and prolly just get a high flow cat.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ok, for 350hp you're going to need the following:
- An engine in good shape, including hoses, gaskets, etc.
- Intake - I suggest a Blitz or AEM air filter
- Exhaust from the turbo back. Personally I used a BIC DDP and had a local place fab me up a full 3" pipe from there back
- Something to increase your boost. I'd suggest a MAFT Pro with the boost control kit
- A better intercooler and hardpipes
- Bigger fuel injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a walbro fuel pump, and something to convince your stock ECU that everything is still ok. The MAFT Pro will do this as well. There are other routes to this, I like the MAFT for various reasons.
- At this point, you should be able to tune for over 300hp. If you want to get closer to 400, you're going to need an upgraded turbo as well. A 57trim CT upgrade would do fine.

If you go this route, you're going to need better brakes, *much* better tires, and a better clutch if your car is manual. If it's an auto, you'll likely need a new tranny. Living in California, you're probably going to need to work on the cooling system, too. A fan shroud and engine bay undercover is a damn fine start.

Furthermore, get your rear subframe checked for cracks. Anyone who drives hard on a stock subframe at 350+ hp is likely to crack it in several places.

PS: IMO, If your Supra is your daily driver, I'd never drop below $2k in your Supra fund until there is an emergency. There WILL BE emergencies.

PPS: A car at this level will kick the absolute snot out of pretty much 98% of the vehicles you meet unless you are at an actual racetrack. Then it'll only be faster than about 75% of them. It's also up in the dangerously fast category, meaning, it's not difficult to get out of your capability to drive and end up bleeding in a ditch, surrounded by a cage of twisted wreckage.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
i did have to grind it to match the gasket a little better but it only takes a few minutes. you "might" have to port the wastegate after installing it to cut down spike and creep.

99% of 7M failure is the owner.

Last edited:

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Wow. thanks grim! thats probably exactly what i was looking for. yea i was looking at the intercooler kit DM has...like 400 bucks not bad..ill assume my engine is in good shape..aaron says so :] replaced all hoses..valve cover gaskets..i got the K&N intake just for smog purposes..for the exhaust im either going with BIC DDP or DM 3 " Elbow + DP stainless steel, w/ tanabe touring medallion offered on DM site..and prolly just a high flow cat. im kinda nervous about increasing boost..and ill talk to aarona bout the whole fuel pump thing. and by better brakes you talkin bout a big brake kit? will i really need that for a 350HP car? i was originaly just plannin on going with the braided steel lines + new slotted rotors and pads from DM. and yea my funds will be alright, im fairly conservative with the money i earn :p i dont even think i wanna go 400. i dunno if i wanna mess with MAFT or anything...but of course ill give it some thought and talk to aaron about it. thanks again grim!

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

mceveans...ill be installing it at aarons..ill assume they gonna do that for me! lol..ill ask him about the porting wastegate...cuz if i gotta do that..then might as well get the BIC DDP! right? same thing ?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Grim he wants it to be CA legal with no piggy backs which are also illegal. He has a 57 trim already but only at stock boost. IC and piping is illegal in CA and not unesesary at his power levels. i would check it for oil though! if you do 2.25in is and a better flowing stock size IC so it wont kill spool. Lip, HKS, and a few other brands are identical and you can use the HKS CARB numbers with the cheap 3in cone that Aaron sells.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, I realize there may be complications coming from his location... I'm only posting mods needed to get to the power levels he mentioned. I'm sure he can talk to Aaron at DM and get a similar list that's more California smog friendly.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
mecevans;1521931 said:
Grim he wants it to be CA legal with no piggy backs which are also illegal. He has a 57 trim already but only at stock boost. IC and piping is illegal in CA and not unesesary at his power levels. i would check it for oil though! if you do 2.25in is and a better flowing stock size IC so it wont kill spool. Lip, HKS, and a few other brands are identical and you can use the HKS CARB numbers with the cheap 3in cone that Aaron sells.

wait what? you mean just check for oil leaks? and 2.25 what. piping for exhaust?!?! O_O whats Lip. oh wait are you talking about different brands of the HKS? they have CARB numbers for it? i heard the intercoolers werent illegal in california...was talkin to one of the techs today..what im worried about is the BOV....cuz i got some turbo flutter...so i wnated to get a new one but i want it to pass smog too -_-

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
YoungGunSupra;1521986 said:
wait what? you mean just check for oil leaks? and 2.25 what. piping for exhaust?!?! O_O whats Lip. oh wait are you talking about different brands of the HKS? they have CARB numbers for it? i heard the intercoolers werent illegal in california...was talkin to one of the techs today..what im worried about is the BOV....cuz i got some turbo flutter...so i wnated to get a new one but i want it to pass smog too -_-

the intercooler can build up oil inside it over time. flush it out with gasoline.

2.25in intercooler piping. Replacement IC's are legal but have to have CARB sticker or be OEM. Hint: Painting it black with radiator paint.

HKS made an adapter cone filters, it was smog legal because i has a CARB number for it. many other company's copied it.

you have a 57trim so you should be using a better BOV. the bosch 110 is a good and can be found at a saab dealer.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
GrimJack;1521779 said:
AND you have the budget to put in a 2J, why would you NOT do a rebuild?

I am from the school that no one assembles an engine better than the factory. If there is not any evidence that there is a problem, I am not going to rering and bearing the motor. Even if there was a problem, I would buy a factory shortblock vs a rebuild. If most of the people doing 7M rebuilds went with a factory shortblock and then added a MHG there would be a lot more 7M's on the road today. All after market bearings and such are reversed engineered and the average machine shop will not come close to the factory quality. I know it costs more, but outside of a full-race build, I will rock the factory motors. If this were a SB Chevy or Ford, yeah.... I am with you. I know I am a minority so I am sure I will get flamed :)

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
csnow;1522116 said:
I am from the school that no one assembles an engine better than the factory. If their is not any evidence that there is a problem, I am not going to rering and bearing the motor. Even if there was a problem, I would buy a factory shortblock vs a rebuild. If most of the people doing 7M rebuilds went with a factory shortblock and then added a MHG there would be a lot more 7M's on the road today. All after market bearings and such are reversed engineered and the average machine shop will not come close to the factory quality. I know it costs more, but outside of a full-race build, I will rock the factory motors. If this were a SB Chevy or Ford, yeah.... I am with you. I know I am a minority so I am sure I will get flamed :)

Only "advantage" the factory has is a range of brand new parts so they can "select fit" an engine to get it within acceptable tolerances and even then they occasionally screw the pooch.

Someone that knows what they're doing and has access to a good machine shop that will work to a given spec can achieve the same or better end result.

Key phrase above is “knows what they’re doing”

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
You should see if Aaron still carries the 3in electric cutouts. Pair it with a DDP, and keep that stock exhaust.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
That is true Ian, I shouldnt have used the term "no one" as that is way too broad. I meant that the average joe rebuilding a motor in his garage with the local five and dime machine shop in town. I think you agree that without a good machine shop and an experienced builder, a factory shortblock is hard to beat. That is of course unless the build is beyond the strength limits of the factory internals but if that is the case, it is even more critical to have an experienced builder and top notch machine shop.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if you know what tolerances are and know how to check the clearances and not screw anything up and take the proper steps with a quality machine shop there should be no reason other than the builder for something to go wrong.

edit: its like when some one blows a hg and then keeps driving it. then they fix it and 1-2k miles later they have rod knock cuz they kept driving the car but they blame the 7m and go jz and then sell the car becuase they are way over there head.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1522250 said:
if you know what tolerances are and know how to check the clearances and not screw anything up and take the proper steps with a quality machine shop there should be no reason other than the builder for something to go wrong.

edit: its like when some one blows a hg and then keeps driving it. then they fix it and 1-2k miles later they have rod knock cuz they kept driving the car but they blame the 7m and go jz and then sell the car becuase they are way over there head.
The vast majority of people "building" 7M's shouldn't be working on a Briggs and Stratton let alone a multivalve turbo I-6..... :nono:

I blame the bullshit TV build programs for convincing people they can do it themselves in a few weeks...

They don't show the 3+ months of logistics and planning/part sourcing that go into a build and even then a LOT of the time the "finished" car isn't in a driveable state.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
True. That and people building sbc's :biglaugh: jk.

Op: A nice 57trim ct 26 build with all supporting mods will get you where you want to go. It really just depends on how far you want to go. If you got the cash build for 500hp and tune for what you want out of the car.

edit: Stock internals and mhg will get you what you want. Spending more on forged might be called over kill but eventually you will want more.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
so if i do a build for 500HP and i go to the point where i have to tune my car...does that mean i need to replace my stock ECU and get an AEM unit or something? our stock ECU cant be tuned right?

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
so if i do a build for 500HP and i go to the point where i have to tune my car...does that mean i need to replace my stock ECU and get an AEM unit or something? our stock ECU cant be tuned right?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
YoungGunSupra;1522455 said:

ok i read this whole thread were basically in the same boat for are power goals....ok so far my builds costing me about $3500 with new shocks springs around $1000 at machine shop (that 1000 is with included with the 3500 so basically 2500 in parts and other things) arps mhg new bearing oil pump bearing gasketkit 3in down pipe 3in custom exhaust 57 trim .020 nprs and other things here in there....

also why dont you pull the motor yourelf its not that hard only take a couple hours..if you dont have a cherry picker go to your local kragens an rent 1 that would save you some more money you could spend else were...mines also going to be a daily driver and ill be happy with just 300hps untill next year tax time than do some upgrades...smog wont be that bad as long as your not street racing or speeding everywere you shouldnt have to really worry about the cops....

its up to you though its your car good luck with your build...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you can run the maft pro or a safc and ebc. cheaper than a ems but the ems would do a better job.