Standalone on 7mgte

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I was looking previously into going with maft-pro for a tuning device but found it to be short coming of abilities since being piggy back. I want more then what any of the piggy back systems can offer. After some pondering, standalone has come to the table. Now heres where the choices start.

My budget is decently large at this point in time to purchase.
What im looking for is a complete package that has lots of support and can do everything needed to create a powerful tune. From changing timing curves, fuel maps, datalogging, 2 step, boost control, monitoring devices and so on. Basically I want something that can do it all.
One standalone im not into is megasquirt, incase someone brings it up. There is not enough time for me right now to assemble and figure it out.

I have never used or owned a standalone tuner before but I have done my homework on them trying to figure out what I really want.
Can anyone with theyre OWN experiance in using or tuning with a standalone chime in and shed some light on this?

Thanks guys,

Chris

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Wrong order Chris, without some idea of the budget I can't suggest anything as your idea of large may be totally different to mine. (I'd have at least 12K in management alone)

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
IJ.;1324552 said:
Wrong order Chris, without some idea of the budget I can't suggest anything as your idea of large may be totally different to mine. (I'd have at least 12K in management alone)

There we go, I learned something new :) Im willing to spend somewhere around 3K or so on management. A number im comfortable with.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ.;1324495 said:
Define "large budget" ;)

Agreed with that....

Nick M;1324504 said:
After following these boards, the masses use AEM, the really fast ones don't.

Reliably would be the operative word ;)

IJ.;1324552 said:

Chris,

Listen to Ian. There are EMS systems that go to $50,000 dollars. Large budget is ambigous and vague and I highly doubt that you want to be recommeneded that monster of an EMS hence the need for a very specific budget number. ;)

3k.

You are left with

Tec GT
AEM
ViPec (old Link system)
VEMS
Megasquirt
and the MoTeC M4 series (used).

That is just EMS pricing, then you need installation AND tuning. So if that 3k is the budget for that too.... take most out save the Megasquirt.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tbcmorris;1324782 said:
fiiggie what about haltek

for 3k installed and tuned?? nah.

The user is complaining about piggy backs but now is going to try standalone and do the install himself and tune it himself?

Sure, until the motor pops.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I overlooked the idea of spending big $$ on standalones. But, I really dont know all of whats out there that is why I asked.. 3K is what im willing to spend on JUST the equipment, tuning is separate.

No, I will not being doing a big hp tune myself for the first time, that would be idiotic. What I want is something that I build a base map on to get some experiance with tuning on standalones. I have used piggybacks for tuning LOTS and I want more then just fuel tuning for my build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd first like to ask - exactly what are you looking to do that the MAFT-Pro won't handle it? You can comfortably handle any fueling requirements up to about 680cc injectors. There is basic timing control in the MAFT-Pro as well.

Just saying. ;)

Megasquirt is out as per your original post.

Have you looked into Stinger / 8860? Really that choice boils down to whether or not you'd like to have full sequential injection (4 drivers vs 8 on the 8860)

The AEM is not a bad unit, hardware wise, but I hate the tuning software. It tries to either be Stupid mode, or Everything mode. As for Nick's comment, that's because the really fast ones have the budget, but the masses don't ;)

Jeff's car is plenty fast with the AEM. Well, once we finish the exhaust and get back to tuning, we'll find out exactly what it has at the 2nd Import FaceOff here in Gainesville next month.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
One of the main reasons I want to go standalone is to learn it, I have played with piggy backs its time for something more indepth. Sure maft-pro offers what im asking for at this point in time. But one month down the road my goals could drastically change and then have to upgrade anyways.

The stinger and AEM were the two EMS systems I was looking at purchasing before I posted this thread. More so the AEM because of the plug and play ability and lots of info on the system.

What exactly are the drivers your talking about with the stinger Doward?
Also with the tuning software on the AEM how is it so annoying? Can anyone give me a comparison on the Stinger vs AEM?

^^^^
This is the kind of info im looking for :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The stinger software is a billion times easier than the AEM, but the AEM you can get EXTREMELY complex with.

You should, imho, decide first what your goals are. The MAFT-Pro has complete speed density conversion (Complete with VE table) + ebc + AFR tracking, all of which is 95% of what people are looking for.

Do you want drive by wire capability? Traction control? Stability management? Now you're talking a mega-buck EMS (really should be called a VMS at that point lol)

The AEM is a full featured standalone for a decent price. The only reason I've seen to downplay it is the tuning software SUCKS, imho. But if you leave it in 'Newb' mode you can get 90% of your tune done adequately, again imho.

My poison of choice? Megasquirt. I love knowing if it won't do something I want, I can sit down and build it into the system ;)

*edit* Drivers! 1 driver controls 1 injection event. With the stinger, you set it up so that you are semi-sequential on a 6 cylinder - you fire 2 injectors together as 1, using 3 injector drivers to fire 6 injectors.

With 8 drivers available, you can fire each one of 6 injectors separately.