Standalone on 7mgte

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
IJ.;1325155 said:
Tuning isn't nearly as hard as people make out ;)

Start conservative and work up in small increments.

Agreed, 500 whp, 600 whp, 700 whp you get the picture!

Seriously, having run an AEM for going on 3 years now I like the personally like unit. Is it the best unit on the market, no, but my cars daily driveability is very near stock like condition. AEM is sighted for the plug and play being one of it's biggest assets, but this can be misleading. I personally was not able to achieve the level of driveability I have now without some component changes as well as some wiring changes and AEM's tech support at least in the past has been less than stellar. Bottom line after some work and hair pulling the AEM does everything I need it to do, but for when this unit came out you were going to have to do some work to get any EMS to work on an MKIII.

One other thing to keep in mind is plug and play is not always a good thing, especially with some of the wiring harnesses that are on some of the MKIII's I've seen.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Which stinger EMS would be best suited for the 7M?

Aaron is selling the 6860 for the 1jz --> http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ems6860standaloneecu.php

This is the other one on dm, description says its just like the 8860 (but what is it really?) --> http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-emsstingerstandaloneecu.php

The 6860 has 6 injector outputs so I would think it would be the one more suited for the 7M. But down the road If I sell the supra it would be nice if I could keep the EMS to run on my future V8 build. Would the 2nd EMS I posted a link to work with the 7M?

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Chris, so what did you end up doing. I am at a point where I too am trying to decide what to do next. I just dynoed and did 408/390 but since it was well below my goals of 550/500 I feel that I'll have to throw more money at this lovely money pit that I call my Supra.

The tuner was EFI and EFI Advanced certified and has installed and tuned 900 hp 2jz's in other cars but it was his first time working on my 7mgte and tuning the MAFT Pro. He pointed out other people's imperfections in workmanship and corrected them which I appreciated but now I feel that I need to drop a bunch more to hit my goal.

I can follow his suggestions and do an AEM EMS install along with FFIM, FMIC, Q45 throttle body, battery relocation, and a few other small things and be guaranteed 500 + but have it cost me $5000 or listen to the last guy that worked on my car.

Remembering what I wanted out of this which was a 500-550 hp daily driver - the MAFT Pro is more than capable of doing it if tuned properly. All i really need to add would be a 3000 stall TC and the SupraStick V4 and have my cams degreed properly ... so $1000 in parts and perhaps $1000 more in labour and tuning. I have been unable to drive my supra for the past 4 years since it's been in different stages of modification at different places. I really need to just do what will get me to my goal and stop. I love my car and plan to keep it but if you think you may sell and move on then limit your outlay would be my suggestion.

Just trying to help. I've spent just over $60k so far which would have bought me a very nice high hp MK4. lol

This hobby can be dangerously addictive.

So what did you decide?

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
cruzian7m;1326244 said:
Amen to that dread! I am loving my haltech E8. can't wait to get the 7m back on the road to retune:evil2:

another vote for haltech

i've installed, setup & tuned a few e6k's

have an E8 on the side waiting to be installed on a friends 2j

haltech is very hard to beat price vs. performance

especially since it allows you to use practically any trigger and ignition combination you can think of

also has the most user friendly software i've come across so far