"Spinningheadboy's Interior rebuild- Black Leather Heated Seats & Alcantara Dashboard

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I've been wanting to add black leather to my '91 supra since I bought it. I have a few things that I wanted to do do. Change to black leather, fix my dash, upgrade the gauges, and add seat heaters to extend targa season. I now have everything but a dash. My interior is grey cloth with shadow grey panels.

I bought the leather off the bay. I bought the kit for $300 ($29 shipping), plus $80 for the extra leather to do the door panels, front and back. I'm very happy so far with the leather quality. I went with black leather, with preforated center sections, and black stitching.

I'm starting with the drivers side rear upper seat.

in1.jpg

in2.jpg

My advice is to buy a small steamer and steam all foam. Foam gets crushed over the years and steam helps expand it back to normal. The steamer was from the depot at $26.
in4.jpg

in3.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Next up. Buy a quality set of hog ring pliers, and some more hog rings.
in5.jpg

The covers are held on by hog rings and rods that keep the covers creases tight.

in6.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

This is not a hard process, just see how it was put together, and put it back the same way. You will have to cut the rod channels (Black fabric) to get the rod ends in the right place.

in7.jpg

Last edited:

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Back side of the panel after hog rings.
in8.jpg

in9.jpg

Finshed rear upper seats...just need to cut out an area for the latch.
in10.jpg

This is after much work with a heat gun to get the covers tighter.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I bought extra leather for the panels, here are the rear drivers side panel, and the bit next to the seat as it joins the corner.
in11.jpg

I painted the foam with a light coat of black trim paint before covering. I didn't want the preforations to show beige through the holes. I used 3M 77 spray glue, sprayed both sides and attached after letting get tacky.
in12.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Those look really nice. Makes me want to buy some right now. Black leather looks soo clean.

This going on the black car in your sig?

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
hvyman;1700797 said:
Those look really nice. Makes me want to buy some right now. Black leather looks soo clean.

This going on the black car in your sig?

Yes, the black supra in my sig.

cwd

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I just attached all the rods and before final attachment, heated the leather up for about 10 mins. I then finished the attachment with hog rings and then heated up the leather again. The fit on the back seats is good to begin with, I will see how the rest goes, and post pictures as I progress.

cwd

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
spinningheadboy;1700920 said:
I just attached all the rods and before final attachment, heated the leather up for about 10 mins. I then finished the attachment with hog rings and then heated up the leather again. The fit on the back seats is good to begin with, I will see how the rest goes, and post pictures as I progress.

cwd

do you have link of where you bought it?

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
If this were Facebook, I would like this:) Got the black seats/shadow panels myself, but without the center perferations on the leather. Can't wait to see what yours looks like after it goes back together. It's gonna be awhile for mine yet:(

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
spinningheadboy;1700943 said:
All seat leather, hog rings, hog ring pliers, and seat heaters were found on ebay.

damn no link?

i cant find it...

i searched, supra interior kit, supra leather interior kit, didn't find anything

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Let me or this thread how your front head rest turn out. This kit you bought Is the same as about 4 of us local guys bought, fitment is spot on. Only I need to "shrink" the head rest leather to fit the concave surface for the head rest. I want to see if your steamer dose the trick to shrink the leather.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
How long did it take for you to get it? The guy says houston tx, but his instructions are china as fuck

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I will document the process as I go including the headrest.....It took less than 30 days to get the leather....I think about 3 weeks.

I took the bottom back seat out tonight, I hope to finish the back half of the car tomorrow.

cwd