"Spinningheadboy's Interior rebuild- Black Leather Heated Seats & Alcantara Dashboard

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Started the rear bottom seat today and completed the right rear door panel. It took me a bit to get one corner or the rear seat to stretch correctly....but I'm happy so far, and still more room to shrink some leather.

in13.jpg

Pulling the cover up to reveal the hog ringed metal seem rods.
in14.jpg

in15.jpg

in16.jpg

Adding the new leather.
in17.jpg

Finished and working with the heat gun a bit.
in18.jpg

in19.jpg

in20.jpg

Test fit in the car.
in21.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Here is the right rear interior door panel. It had two grey fabric trim pieces that I recovered in black preforated leather from the same seller.
in22.jpg

in23.jpg

Finished!
in24.jpg

in25.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Your seats and panels looks great!
I'm about to do the same, I'm currently waiting on some samples to determine the correct color code which matches the stock medium gray.

Supraboy87T

Sep 14, 2010
Kennesaw, Ga
I've been wanting to redo my interior and this helps a lot. Now I just wanna finish my civic build so I can start on the supra build. 2 projects bills and school really tap out the income.

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Was a bit of a busy weekend, I only finished up the drivers door panel....much more difficult than I thought. Here's what I did.
Before:
in26.jpg

Panel removed front and back.
in27.jpg

in28.jpg

Below is the problem with this panel for an easy recover. The foam and fabric are glued down the center and then it turns downward.
So to avoid sewing the panel, I went after some new foam to glue the leather to....and get the leather to keep to the same contour as stock. I went to my friendly Michael's craft store and bought the kids construction style paper foam....in black. I believe its important to add this foam so that you don't see the metal tabs that hold the panel to the door panels...and leather is just too thin to apply direct.....plus it feels better with this layer.
in30.jpg

in31.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I cut the thin black foam to fit the panel, and cut a relief at the seam that the original seem went.
in32.jpg

Here you can see how I cut the foam.
in33.jpg

Adding the spray glue to the leather and the door panel to get the proper adhesion.
in34.jpg

in35.jpg

Here you can see the contour and bend of the panel.....really didn't know this before I took it apart.
in36.jpg

in37.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

After glueing the leather down I added a duct style tape to cover the sticky overspray and keep things tighter.
in38.jpg

Finished Panel.......just need to put it back on the door and add the bezel. This truly was an experiment for me to figure out how to do this....I'm pleased with the results...the flash makes it look a bit harsh to me.
in39.jpg

in40.jpg

Last edited:

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
I am setting aside a nice set of spare seats I just acquired specifically to duplicate your project....your work is an inspiration and I look forward to trying it myself at some point. Keep up the excellent work.

SGinNE

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Had to leave town for a bit....also found my 6.5 door speaker to be blown...Alpines 6.5 mids have been added.

Finished Drivers door panel installed.
in41.jpg

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I had some time this weekend to work on the passenger seat. It was a bit more involved than I thought....and the headrest cover is way too big. I added a dacron wrap and made it look lots better. Mind you the finished product had not been heated to shrink wrinkles just yet. I'm happy with the results.

Before:
in42.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Pulled the back off (The back of the seat is light grey.....going to have to fix that as the leather kit does not change the cover color)
in43.jpg

Headrest steamed and ready for test fit. Note: had to add a wrap of padding to make it fit correct.
in44.jpg

Time to get the seat heaters ready for install.
in45.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

The back is a pain because of the shoulder pieces that have to be transfered to the new cover....not real hard, just a bit of a time waster.
in46.jpg

The leather is on, but everything is not tight yet. You can't tighten the cover completely until you attach it to the bottom frame.
in47.jpg

After steaming the bottom cushion.....ready for the seat heater.
in48.jpg

Seat heater cut out for wire seam holders.
in49.jpg

Under seat bottom...hog rings installed.
in51.jpg

Finished bottom
in50.jpg

---------- Post added May 16th, 2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was May 15th, 2011 at 11:54 PM ----------

Bottom Seat attached to the seat frame.
in52.jpg

Finished product, just need to heat the seat to shrink it a bit.....perhaps a few hours in the hot sun too.
in53.jpg

So far I'm really pleased with this kit.....Note: the bottom from seats are slightly different....the covers are not marked. The bottom bolsters on the front seats differ.....the bolster near the door is wider than the one towards the console. Glad I didn't screw that one up.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Last edited:

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
spinningheadboy;1712048 said:
Did you redo the seats or are you just showing me a black leather interior?

cwd

Bought the seats as pictured. Just installed. Showing you what it looks like with solid leather vs. perforated leather. Sorta wishing I had done it like you now that I've seen it the other way.

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
Thanks for the comments.

Yes.....seat heaters work.....and I sat in the garage by myself like an idiot, on the floor with the battery charger......with a warm back side. :)
in55.jpg

cwd