Spider Infestation!!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Cripes, folks, you guys need to drop the spider paranoia.

The black widow is responsible for the most deaths by spider venom, right? Well, the guys saying this leave out the reasons for it. The black widow is fairly common, and ranges across a rather large area. So a lot of people get bitten, and some of those manage to die from it. However, the usual reaction to a widow bite is to get sick and miserable, then recover and complain about it.

Recluse spider - nasty little bitch, causes some ugly wounds, as crisp can attest to. But die from it? Maybe if you're really old, really young, or really bulimic.

Spiders just aren't that dangerous. Well, not in North America, anyway. You're more likely to get killed crossing the street, or driving to work.

How to deal with them? Easy, get a pest control guy to come spray around your place. This will get rid of them for sure. Keep in mind that your quota of annoying insects that are actually interested in feeding off your blood will increase without the spider population to keep them in check.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I agree with Grimjack! unless you get bitten by the Aussie funnel web which isn't going to happen in the U.S i wouldn't imagine, don't stress. I've personally been bitten a few times now from various spiders and normally the localised area will swell according to person and will burn a bit or itch then maybe you will feel a little crook for few hours or maybe even days if you are a soft cock. I got bitten by a spider that makes a cross in it's web once while climbing a mango tree and my skin started to peel off in the area i got bitten in, but that only lasted a few days, Then it was all good.... And if you do get bitten by the aussie funnel web for some bizarre reason then good luck too you!

Remember, they aren't out to kill you, just to live there life and help you out by eating mozzies and other annoying insects. I've had redbacks climb over me whilst under the car and they aren't interested in biteing you unless you swipe at them first, so just be gentle back and you'll be okay, don't panic.!

Justin727

T-virus infected
Yes I agree the Brown recluse is a nasty little bastard.

My worry list goes
Black widow
Brown Recluse
Brown Widow.

We do have a pest man that comes out once a month and sprays around and all over everything.
I've seen more brown widows around then anything. Those tropical spiders made their way here from africa, started popping up in south florida, made their way here, and now reach as far as cali.

I'm typically not afraid of spiders, bugs, or pest. But dealing with 3 potentially deadly spiders in 1 car makes one feel like hell on wheels! lol

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Doward;1378516 said:
Fuck all of this noise.

Fire is the only sure anti-spider there is. Flame. Lots of it.

Believe me any other situation I'd be right there with you. Standard proceedure with me battling spiders invovles A gas can, an acetaline torch, or a can of starter fluid and a lighter, as well as some nasty other chemicals such as bleach, and battery acid.
The problem is in this case you will end up torching the car. Its supra, i couldnt bring myself to do that. lol

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Seriously, beyond the concern about DEATH (which is admittedly EXTREMELY SLIM with any of these arachnids...) you STILL have to give a little respect to the SPECIFIC variety noted here... and the ILLS they can spawn in the form of some CNS discomfort or WORSE (my opinion) the SLOUGHING OFF OF FLESH that can really leave a DENT in your project... er... BODY!:cry:

My suggestion is: Use any appropriate means to ERADICATE the little buggers before you have to deal with the repercussions of a nasty bite from one of these little guys. A bad "Loxosceles reclusa" bite is nothing to be taken lightly... trust me! (And CERTAINLY not mistaken for the general house spider bite, which is, as noted by some... a matter of magnitude not unlike a mosquito bite.)

G/L with your infestation... and on a lighter note, everybody should watch ARACHNOPHOBIA again sometime. Great flick! (I actually watched it WHILE I was doing an IV DRIP for MY recluse bite! ...YES... it gave me the heebeejeebees!)

-crisp

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
IJ.;1378599 said:
Shoe>Spider every single time ;)

do you wear clown shoes? Some of those spiders in Australia are freaking HUGE..

As with me, if the spider doesn't bother me, I don't bother him.. The less contact, the better

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
Brown Recluses are some serious buggers. I knew a lady that got bit by one and did not know at first. Long story short, it got so bad she had to do months of rehab because she had to relearn how to walk and she still has health issues to this day because of the bite. Be careful and stay safe..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
savannahashlee;1378725 said:
do you wear clown shoes? Some of those spiders in Australia are freaking HUGE..

As with me, if the spider doesn't bother me, I don't bother him.. The less contact, the better

LOL even as big as they get Shoe still rules ;)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
^^ Double post from down under

Spiders really erk me, especially ones that can do some serious damage.
Give them a nice big hit of some bug bombs, the smell will subside eventually.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I used to keep/breed black widows a few years back....yes I like them...kept them in deli cups in my closet...anyway, a female generally lays about 3 egg sacks a week containing about 200 eggs...

My advice to you is bomb the damn car....for every one female widow there is 600 more you have yet to see.....good times and good luck

ps....don't just bomb the car...fog the whole garage...I'd fog it twice a week for 2 months if I was you!

Oh and don't know if you noticed the web the female widow will make...huge cluster fuck type web with no design (although it is female and expect nothing less lol jk)....that web can get into spots that would really cripple a car if over looked....widow web is one of if not the strongest spider web known....if it makes it into fuel lines, intake, or whatever it could seriously be bad news bears for you!!!! I dropped a quarter into one of my widow cups and the web held it strong!!!

Justin727

T-virus infected
yes the widows screwed up webs are rather strong.

I have no garage just a Car Port. Open to nature and her lovely spiders. Once I can get it in a contained area I will be bombing the shit out of it left and right..

Off hand do you know if bombing kills eggs? I will set a bomb on the floor board under dash area and in the hatch. Place one in the battery trey and all corners of the bay.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I doubt the bomb will kill all the eggs....they wrap them up pretty good! This is why I recomend doing multibombing schedual. If it were me:

day 1 bomb, day 2 bomb, day 4 bomb, 2weeks bomb, 2weeks bomb, etc. This is what I'd do to ensure that the car is clean....

Also... If you can Jack up the car and put sause pans under each tire and fill with baby oil then put the car back down making sure nothing from the car touches the ground! This will seriously limit the points of entry! Get plastic sheet and staple gun it to the ceiling of the port as so spiders can't repel down as they can't get traction. This is the best thing I can think of as it's not a closed in space:-(. I don't know how baby oil will react over time to tires but I can't see it causing damage.

I used to keep alot of odd insects as pets as well as snakes...I've learned what dies and doesn't work....said oils will NOT work unless consentrated in the spiders exact area...I've seen spiders make homes in used motoroil tanks so I'm pretty sure of my advice.

Your going to have to maintain a bombing routine even if you don't see the spiders anymore as they will come back...although the advice I give you is a good handycap for them! So I'd end up bombing once a month for safe measure.

Although a black widow bite rarely kills it's stil no joke....you never know how your body will react...odds are you'll be in pain and vomit a few times and be done.

I recomend baby oil as they can swim within reason if water is used as waters surface tension can hold them afloat, baby oil will let them sink and drowned before they make it to the tire....or even if they do make it back out the oil should still drowned them...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's not paranoia for me - I'm simply not comfortable with anything that has 8 legs and 8 eyes.

If given the opportunity, I'll destroy a spider in the most prejudiced way I can think up on the spot (I've gotten VERY creative at times!). Otherwise, I'll run. It's when you get these fucking 5"+ spiders that I start having to pick and choose the battlefield for maximum tactical advantage ;)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hope one jumps out from behind the visor whilst your all driving and scares the shit out of you, then proceeds to drop onto your lap and crawl up your shorts leg and bite your scrotum.