Spark plugs

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yep, back in the day, I used to file my plugs, too. That was back when a new distributor cap, rotor, plugs and points were part of the annual spring tune-up, and often, by the end of summer, pulling plugs and points to file and gap them was often just a good idea. If the rotor wasn't made to good tolerances, it might need to be replaced in the fall, too. I do not miss those days, and do not want to go back to them with the Supra. Well, no more cap, rotor or points, but even pulling the plugs twice a year isn't something that I'd want to do.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
iI just never even bothered since plugs were cheap I just bought new ones or just gapped them and said fuck it cause I was poor and did not know any better at the time

funny part is I wounder how many files ya got out of them mabye like 2 if that before electrode starts to get to fowled

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Spark plug technology is interesting...

For instance, copper is not the first "normal" plug that was used. Originally it was nickel alloy IIRC. These old plugs also had to be cleaned occasionally as they didn't self clean the way modern plugs do (which is why we went to copper in the first place).

Also, platinum was used all the way back on the engine in the Wright Flyer ;)

The current car I'm after is going to be a bitch to change plugs (engine has to be raised), but they're iridiums and will last well over 100K miles. Not really an issue at that point...

NashMan;1968672 said:
That's ok poodles

but for fun I look it up and I can't beleav I remember the spec's (but yes there is a range) in most cases I will go to the smallest gap

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=A&P=14

get this some old timer's used to file copper electrodes to make them flat again after they crowned from ware and regapped them

I herd of this but I wounder if it just wise tail hummm I even checked google ::shrug::

Keep in mind that's a max spec based on wear, you don't want to gap to that size because wear is going to increase the gap leading to more frequent changes required.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ jock strap drop dead and go to know it all land were you belong

that is true poodles

for example we had the big nova? think it was a nova on the dyno long ago and me and mikey were tuning it on the dyno, the car had full msd ignition pretty powerful one at that step up transformer box and big coil ect

found it to have an issue it was just not makeing the power it should have, so popped the plugs out found them be on the stock gap at the time so we widen the gap and well low and behold it made more power so we puled them again widen them a abit more and end resalt it was not happy with that so re gapped them back to the way there were and he left a happy camper

and the end reslaut was bigger then the bare min car wanted stock not by much thou

it really depends on the car and comp ratio or if it's boosted what the gap will be bigger or smaller it all depends

Last edited:

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
wow, so much drama over plugs. i was reading this post to find out what plugs to use on my supra, but i still have no idea, lol. my tuner said to stay away from platinums on my car. i also read somewhere that a regular copper plug is the way to go, even though they don't last as long. i was also told to gap them a little tighter, like 28 thou instead of 32.
i was going to ask about using a +4 copper plug versus a standard one. maybe i'll just go with the ngk bcpr7es that driftmotion sells. idk.....

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
jdmfreak;1970964 said:
Where would one find such reliable information??

Although the guy knows a ton he gets more enjoyment making passive aggressive sarcastic post about how dumb everyone else is. Its a trend I've noticed for quite a few years.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Every thing I said was in it and I just looked it up today to prove a point

Do you want me to type word for word out of my ASE automotive based text's books too or it that bull shit too

I can get into spark line and what not, but ya know what ya still be jack ass about it so I wonte bother

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Thought you were done? The only point proved is MSD is in business to sell things and that not only does your knowledge end at backyard mechanic but you obviously have no clue that right behind oil aftermarket ignition components are the biggest scam perpetrated on an uneducated and gullible automotive public of which you're clearly a member. And you want to discuss the finer points of secondary analysis? Crack me up. Bring it on Sparky...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jdmfreak;1970964 said:
Where would one find such reliable information??

Toyota

Spark plugs.jpg

NashMan;1971261 said:
Do you want me to type word for word out of my ASE automotive based text's books too

ASE doesn't have any text books. But they do endorse a few, like the picture I just posted. The text books are approved to be endorsed by NATEF.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
So from all of this I got:

GE use Platinum
stock or low boost GTE use Platinum or Iridium
High boost/HP GTE use Copper

This a good summary?