sound quality with this sub and box??

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Be sure to try and incorporate the baffles if you can. Its surprising how much more precise the sub becomes with good baffling in the box.

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
ended up going to the flea market again and got my money back and bought this other one for 10 bucks

11"x14"x13.5" = 1.2 cubic feet (empty)

l_52f91377029920a92d80d9a83303085c.jpg

l_f411fe7b8f25055ad6561650ce1983c2.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What's the X, Y and Z dimensions of that slot? This will be needed to determine the port's parameters, so that you can determine what you'll get out of it as a ported enclosure.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Lol now its too small....LOL 1.2cu/ft is way small for a ported box. But for the hell of it, just give us all the dimesnions.

L x W x H of the entire box.
L x W x H of just the port and thickness of the wood used. Let me know and ill find out what the exact tuned frequency of the box will be with your sub... I can tell you now though that it will be way too high for any SQ. Should be an ok SPL box though.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
theWeezL;1019611 said:
You could always just cover the port. This is why I build my own boxes.

Agreed! I build boxes on the side for some extra cash... I got a big SQL box just sitting in my garage now that needs carpeted... Its for 2 12's..

Thats outer box dimensions correct? If so your box will be tuned at about 54hz... Thats way high IMO, and will be good for some spl, but as far as SQ goes, it needs to be way lower! heres a general ported box chart

12-26hz = SQ
27-36 hz = SQL
40hz+ = SPL

IMHO, Build a box that will be tuned to around 28-32hz. This to me is a very good setup for most music. Its tight for rock music, but still slams the deep bass in rap.

Last edited:

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
aight im just gonna stick with this box and if i dont like the port i will block it... i guess i got what i paid for, but for 10 bucks im not gonna do a whole lot of complaining if i end up hating how it sounds ported or sealed then i will think about taking the time to build one

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
If the port is not tuned to the sub, it WILL sound bad. I would take it back, go to an aftermarket car audio shop and buy one there, unless the flea market has a sealed box of similar size.

If you're going to do something, do it right.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Anth505;1019919 said:
If the port is not tuned to the sub, it WILL sound bad. I would take it back, go to an aftermarket car audio shop and buy one there, unless the flea market has a sealed box of similar size.

If you're going to do something, do it right.

Thats kind of a false statement there. The sub doesnt really car too much about what the box is tuned to. For instance, the "recommended tuned freq." for a sub is just a general recommendation from the manufacturer that they feel will please the common listener. Most often this is a higher tuned spl setup because more people out there car about how loud, as apposed to how clean the speaker sounds...

I say you just throw the sub in it and see how it sounds! It will be pretty loud either way. And if you dont like it like you said, cover the port and seal it off. Just make sure you tune the amp and head unit very well so as not to give the sub any distortion or a clipped signal.