sound quality with this sub and box??

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
Can i get some input on this setup in the supra? is it too much? not enough? i got the sub at tweeters for $100 new when they were closing and i figured i'd go ahead and install it. i got the box for $20 at the fleamarket and i dont know if i should port it or not. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to all this car audio stuff.

sub is an Alpine Type-X 10"

1,000 watts rms 3,000 peak
Dual voice coil, 4+4 ohms

box is a flea market special

about 2 cubic feet
W 22" H 13" D 11"(top) 14"(bottom)
Sealed box

amp is (going) to be an Alpine PDX-1.1000

1,000 watts
class D
mono amp

Pics
l_afbbbe4e862071b4f4c1771c13ddb1de.jpg

l_fd46b758a5df8afd687d84d82a446968.jpg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
overkill, lol. But as far as porting goes unless you know exactly what you are doing I recommend going sealed. 2cu/ft sounds about right for that sub. Check the specs for the sub and see whats recommended for a sealed enclosure volume.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Im a rock guy too and I prefer a sealed enclosure, but one that is the right size for the sub is important. The box you have is too big by almost double.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
It will make it a bit boomier, not as tight. You have adaquate amplification and its a quality sub so you shouldnt have a problem with overexcursion.

That box is about the right size to fit two of thos subs though ;)

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
For rock, a sealed box usually works best. If you go ported, things get alot more complex. It not as simple as making a hole in the box. it has to be 'tuned' to the specific subwoofer that is being installed. Box size must be close to perfect and the diameter and length of the port must be calculated and tuned to a specific frequency.

The box is a bit bigger than it needs to be but it will work. I would start looking for a sealed box that fits the sub better, or build your own.

Other than that...how does it sound??

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
Anth505;1011542 said:
For rock, a sealed box usually works best. If you go ported, things get alot more complex. It not as simple as making a hole in the box. it has to be 'tuned' to the specific subwoofer that is being installed. Box size must be close to perfect and the diameter and length of the port must be calculated and tuned to a specific frequency.

The box is a bit bigger than it needs to be but it will work. I would start looking for a sealed box that fits the sub better, or build your own.

Other than that...how does it sound??

well im gonna go get the amp this friday so i dont know yet im gonna hook it up in my friends truck so i can hear it cause i dont have a head unit yet so i'll let you know

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Im not as familiar with the type x's as i am the type r's. I know the r's where nice for sound quality. The x's are a lot more sub than the r's. Me personally i would run 2, but ima bass head. I say that one sub should give you great sound. Opt toward the small end of the box specs in a sealed setup, that should give you the sound your looking for.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Remember that the 2 cubic feet does NOT take into account the volume that the sub itself displaces. That one looks pretty big, and will displace a fair amount of air.

That said, I like nice tight bass, and tend to make my enclosures more on the small side than the large side.

Fortunately, the box is the cheapest part of what you've got. Something a bit smaller would do you well for rock.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Nice sub there! The box is a little on the large side for a 10" type X. Ultimately i think a 1.3cu/ft box would be perfect for it minus the displacement of the sub. Im currently using a 2cu/ft box on my 12" RE and its even a bit big. I like the boxes slightly larger just to help on the bottom end, but in very punchy music and alot of double bass, the sub gets a little sloppy. If you dont want to buy another box, what i would highly recommend doing is putting some angled baffles inside the box and even some wood blocks to lower the displacement. The baffles will also help in sound reproduction by seperating the back waves of the speaker and removing internal resonance. You want the box to be about 1.6 cu/ft so with the sub in it, it would see about 1/35-1.4 cu/ft.

p1013232_1.jpg

p1013232_2.jpg

As stated earlier if you really dont know what your doing with a port, dont try anything. But if you are crafty with wood and want to try it, i can draw up some plans for whatever you want... SQ, SPL, SQL. I build boxes on the side and have a good deal of knowledge on how a ported box works.... Adding a port has a lot more to involved than just adding a tube or slot. Besides, that box is a bit small to port anyways.

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
ok well what if i put a piece of 4x4 in the back of the box? would that bring the size down a bit?

EDIT: the box is 2.0 ft3 and the sub is .5 ft3 so box volume is 1.5 ft3 with sub installed and if i placed a piece of 4x4 acoss the entire bottom it would take up .2 ft3 which would bring the grand total to 1.3 ft3, would this work?

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Yes that would work... But are you sure that the sub has a displacement of .5!? My 12 displaces .15 and its not much smaller than your Type X. I dont remember it being that big! But if it is, and your math is correct, 1.3 cu/ft would be about perfect.

Last edited: