Soon to be dead engine? Calling JJ, IJ,and Jdub

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Personally I wouldn't use it submerged it's not designed for that...

I have never seen a single valid test done on these replacement lines/fittings showing any improvement over the stock hardline, I ran stock with 0 issues.

Not saying this is your issue, my guess is it's touched a bearing at some point, possibly low Oil low pressure or surge, this in turn will let the crank pick up material from the bearing, this happens a few times it's easy to end up with excessive clearences and there goes all of your hot idle pressure.

Don't buy into the high flow/low pressure bullshit myth, it's simply far too many leaks for the stock pump to keep up with...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1848184 said:
I have never seen a single valid test done on these replacement lines/fittings showing any improvement over the stock hardline, I ran stock with 0 issues.

Only issue I have with it is the compression fitting being re used multiple times. I ordered a new nut, compression fitting, and pipe in a long list other things from the dealer, and turns out the pipe itself was discontinued. I have a new nut and compression fitting but no pipe to go with it lol. I ended up reusing my old one, but I was very close to replacing it with an ARZ hard line just because this is my second time reusing that pipe, and you can tell that the inside diameter of the pipe is a bit smaller where the collar has crushed/sealed onto the pipe.

Looking at the diameter of the oil filter feed hole, I can't imagine that a larger pipe off the oil pump would really benefit much.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
IJ.;1848184 said:
Personally I wouldn't use it submerged it's not designed for that...

Not saying this is your issue, my guess is it's touched a bearing at some point, possibly low Oil low pressure or surge, this in turn will let the crank pick up material from the bearing, this happens a few times it's easy to end up with excessive clearences and there goes all of your hot idle pressure.

Don't buy into the high flow/low pressure bullshit myth, it's simply far too many leaks for the stock pump to keep up with...

So you think its just a matter of time before the engine goes kaput then huh?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I wouldn't expect it to last much longer, I RK'd a GE on the return leg of an interstate trip, forgot to check oil before I left and had to get hard on the brakes to avoid an accident and sure enough clackclackclak..... :(

Dumped a couple of litres of gear oil in it to make the last 600Km's...

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
IJ.;1848203 said:
I wouldn't expect it to last much longer, I RK'd a GE on the return leg of an interstate trip, forgot to check oil before I left and had to get hard on the brakes to avoid an accident and sure enough clackclackclak..... :(

Dumped a couple of litres of gear oil in it to make the last 600Km's...

LOL. Gear oil. Hmm, well I have a 2j setup on the way. Sooo maybe this will just force me to get the ball rolling. I figure I'll run it until it tells the good world goodbye. It's never been run low on oil. I'm thinking I know what did it. When we started the motor up after getting it in the car with the new fuel system, it pushed fuel past the rings. And the oil thinned. I immediately got the oil out and fresh was put in, but it must have been enough to screw it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
ifyouaint1sturlast;1848096 said:
Hmm. I wish jdub was here to confirm. Is there any way that your new oil cooling system is too free flowing? Robbing you of pressure ..

Other than that obviously the only other remedy to whatever the problem would be is internal and you're going to have to rip it back open. Before doing that I would just try another gauge just for good measure ;)

IBoughtASupra;1848098 said:
Maybe the hose you used is too big? Pulling ideas out here because I can't explain 0 PSI and your motor is still running. :-/

Too free flowing? Hose too big? Impossible. A leak is a problem, but not a free flowing circuit.

Physics says neither of these is the problem. The engine bearings and possibly the flow path are what creates the restriction of flow and therefore pressure.

Only way the hoses are a problem is if they leak like mad.

Id check with a diagnostic gauge asap.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I have scene this before and it turned out the senders passage was clogged

better hoping this is true

the only other place to tap into to check is the turbo feed or a modded oil filter housing aka drilled and tapped

and if ti is clogged some times air can be good and can be bad

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
NashMan;1848318 said:
I have scene this before and it turned out the senders passage was clogged

better hoping this is true

the only other place to tap into to check is the turbo feed or a modded oil filter housing aka drilled and tapped

and if ti is clogged some times air can be good and can be bad

GLAD YOU MENTIONED THAT!!! I completely forgot about that. I notice that after shut down of the car, there are air bubbles in the mechanical gauge line. Now, thats only AFTER I shut the car off. When its running, it is a steady stream to the gauge.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
suprarx7nut;1848265 said:
Too free flowing? Hose too big? Impossible. A leak is a problem, but not a free flowing circuit.

Physics says neither of these is the problem. The engine bearings and possibly the flow path are what creates the restriction of flow and therefore pressure.

Good to know! So as long as it's returning to a pressurized circuit it will maintain? Whereas if the other end were returning to the pan it would be considered a leak?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
further more to big of oiling system will lower over all persure and I not talking about line in the pan, I am talking about when ya move you oil filter to another location farther away ( oops edit ) for got to add this is with conjunction of a oil thermo state

this is one prime reason why I have accsump to prime if my car sits for long persoids of time

airhead04;1848321 said:
GLAD YOU MENTIONED THAT!!! I completely forgot about that. I notice that after shut down of the car, there are air bubbles in the mechanical gauge line. Now, thats only AFTER I shut the car off. When its running, it is a steady stream to the gauge.

sorry that is some what common

i do have feeling you pumps cases is worns from filth passing throught it or your shit is clogged

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
ifyouaint1sturlast;1848400 said:
Good to know! So as long as it's returning to a pressurized circuit it will maintain? Whereas if the other end were returning to the pan it would be considered a leak?

Correct. Theoretically, you could use 5 in diameter piping and be fine. It would take forever to prime(fill with oil and reach operating pressure), but if there are no leaks and the piping is constant volume, you won't lose pressure, per se.

The pressure reading you see on the gauge comes from a few things:
-Oil pump pushing oil through the oil passages. So long as you have a good pump, this shouldn't be your issue.
-oil filter allowing enough flow from the pump to the gauge sender and the rest of the oiling system. So long as you have a good filter with no clogged lines on the relocated filter, no problem here.
-oil cooler circuit. Provided this is a sealed, non volume changing, non clogged system, no problem, as long as the lines are big enough and not excessively long.
-finally, and most importantnly the engine oil flow path in the block. Up to this point you should have minimal pressure. Without the restriction of flow caused by good bearings, you'd have nearly no pressure. It's exactly like holding your thumb over a garden hose. The more you restrict the flow, the more pressure builds. More pressure does NOT mean more flow. Normally, its the exact opposite.

Which is exactly why using a heavy oil to see more pressure on your oil gauge is idiotic. You get more pressure because it has more trouble reaching your bearings.

Op: your pressure isn't even that low. Id at least try to verify with another gauge, probably an electric unit plumber nearly near the stocker or a diagnostic gauge.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
suprarx7nut;1848411 said:
Correct. Theoretically, you could use 5 in diameter piping and be fine. It would take forever to prime(fill with oil and reach operating pressure), but if there are no leaks and the piping is constant volume, you won't lose pressure, per se.

The pressure reading you see on the gauge comes from a few things:
-Oil pump pushing oil through the oil passages. So long as you have a good pump, this shouldn't be your issue.
-oil filter allowing enough flow from the pump to the gauge sender and the rest of the oiling system. So long as you have a good filter with no clogged lines on the relocated filter, no problem here.
-oil cooler circuit. Provided this is a sealed, non volume changing, non clogged system, no problem, as long as the lines are big enough and not excessively long.
-finally, and most importantnly the engine oil flow path in the block. Up to this point you should have minimal pressure. Without the restriction of flow caused by good bearings, you'd have nearly no pressure. It's exactly like holding your thumb over a garden hose. The more you restrict the flow, the more pressure builds. More pressure does NOT mean more flow. Normally, its the exact opposite.

Which is exactly why using a heavy oil to see more pressure on your oil gauge is idiotic. You get more pressure because it has more trouble reaching your bearings.

Op: your pressure isn't even that low. Id at least try to verify with another gauge, probably an electric unit plumber nearly near the stocker or a diagnostic gauge.

Got it. I guess I was figuring it out wrong. Like you said "it would take forever to fill and reach operating pressure", I think I kind of assumed it would never reach operating pressure.

Thanks for the fluid lesson!

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
Was this ever fixed?
I don't know why no one mentioned this,
but oil pressure at idle is only 4.3 psi or more.
I don't know what gauge you have but from what i can find,
all the gauges go from 0 to the first number being 10, 20, or 25 psi.