Soon to be dead engine? Calling JJ, IJ,and Jdub

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So I recently got my 7m back in my car. About 4 months ago. The engine had been pulled for me to be able to shim the pump and to add the braided line to the oil system that is in the pan. And I had a few upgrades going on. The engine at this time had already been rebuilt and had 1500 miles on it.

Anywho, my oil pressure was never great so to speak before I shimmed the pump. It was usually around 6 psi at hot idle, and 38ish at crusing speed around 2700 to 3000 rpm.

I shimmed the pump, added a full flow oiling system to my car, and added the braided line for the oil pump in pan (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7moilpumphose-8an.php), and at first pressure at hot idle was pretty good at around 15psi, and crusing went to around 45psi at the same rpm above. Well, after beating on the car some, my pressure slowly went away. Now at hot idle, my gauge (mechanical autometer), sits on 0PSI. I get NO reading at idle. But I rev the car, and the gauge goes up with rpm. At crusing speeds/rpm, my gauge reads almost exactly that of the rpm. If I am at 3k, the oil pressure is at 30psi.

No clue WHAT happend, and why it did that. Any insight from someone with knowledge on this please.

Cliffnotes:

Installed shim in oil pump
Added full flow oil system
Added Braided Line for Oil pump
Pressure no longer making me feel comfortable with my car

Im running -10 braided line for the oil system, K&N Filter, Oil Thermostat 180*F, 16 row B&M Oil cooler, Canton Block adapter, oil is Valvoline 5w30.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
should have pulled the pump apart and took a look see to see if there was any scoring on the walls or gear's and over all tightness of the mesh

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
NashMan;1848009 said:
should have pulled the pump apart and took a look see to see if there was any scoring on the walls or gear's and over all tightness of the mesh

Brand new pump (1500 miles so technically not new). So I didnt see the need to. It never gave me trouble before the shimming and such.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
ifyouaint1sturlast;1848024 said:
Very sorry to hear about this.

What was the condition of the motor prior to doing all of this?

The motor has been rebuilt. Has about 1500 to 2000 miles. Before that, the hg blew because the previous owner put a Mhg on it without doing anything to the head.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Have you checked the oil pressure with a mechanical (diagnostic) gauge? The stock gauge isn't always accurate ;)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
ifyouaint1sturlast;1848050 said:
When you installed the oil pump did you properly seal everything? For example, the stock hard line has crush washers, I'm not sure about the DM kit or what is involved there. Also, how much did you shim the pump?

Yep, everything is sealed properly. DM kit installed properly. The pump has been shimmed 5-6mm.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
Hmm. I wish jdub was here to confirm. Is there any way that your new oil cooling system is too free flowing? Robbing you of pressure ..

Other than that obviously the only other remedy to whatever the problem would be is internal and you're going to have to rip it back open. Before doing that I would just try another gauge just for good measure ;)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
IBoughtASupra;1848098 said:
Maybe the hose you used is too big? Pulling ideas out here because I can't explain 0 PSI and your motor is still running. :-/

ME EITHER!!! Lol. Does knock, slight valve tick but it's been there the rebuild. I need to adjust them. It always worries me when I see that. But I've let the car idle for over an hour like that before....car runs great never over heats. Nothing. The gauge will read zero though.