So you're saying thats a bad thing??

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Someone on a motorcycle forum posted a story like this. Some chic in his complex rides some honda cbr600 that was making odd sounds. The guy checks it over decides she has no oil visible and the chain is so slacked he could have removed it by hand. He said just buy some oil and pour in at the very least.

Well, she didnt and a few days later the bike wont start because the motor seized up. The chic is all mad because she still Owes 3,500$ on the bike! Then she goes on to say she will just sell it for 5,500 so its no big deal.

...Good luck selling a fully abused common bike for 2grand More than you owe on it lol.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Best friend's mom was like this... Bought a brand new Toyota Corolla and drove it into the ground. No oil changes, nothing. Only thing she did was change tires and put gas in it...

Damn thing lasted 5 years cause it was a damn toyota though.

I had to teach him EVERYTHING about simple maintenance as he knew nothing at all.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Loki;886332 said:

The truly frightening thing about this is it make completely logical sense. To somebody that doesn't understand how an engine does it's thing. Drop two cylinders and save gas. There are cars out there running on 4 cylinders, why can't mine.

This is a clear case of having just enough knowledge(knowing how to pull the fuel injector plugs) to be very very dangerous.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I have seen people that dense before. I had a private in the Army that I told to “top off” the oil on the 5 ton truck. I saw him walking out with the 5 gallon can of oil. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him come back in and get another can. I figured the first can was probably fairly empty, so I didn’t pay much attention to him. We he came back, he set the new can down and it made a hollow thump like it was empty. I went over and picked the can up and sure enough, it was basically empty. I went down to the vehicle line and sure enough, I open the oil cap and the motor is full of oil. Yep, all the way to the top in the valve covers. So yeah.... they are out there.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
They get older and become President. Or run for Congress.

Basically, they go into politics, since they are worthless to do anything in the real world. :3d_frown:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
csnow;886534 said:
I have seen people that dense before. I had a private in the Army that I told to “top off” the oil on the 5 ton truck. I saw him walking out with the 5 gallon can of oil. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him come back in and get another can. I figured the first can was probably fairly empty, so I didn’t pay much attention to him. We he came back, he set the new can down and it made a hollow thump like it was empty. I went over and picked the can up and sure enough, it was basically empty. I went down to the vehicle line and sure enough, I open the oil cap and the motor is full of oil. Yep, all the way to the top in the valve covers. So yeah.... they are out there.

Man you guys must have been real slacking off if the truck took that much oil to be full. Good thing that dude was around to save the truck before it seized.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
iwannadie;886674 said:
Man you guys must have been real slacking off if the truck took that much oil to be full. Good thing that dude was around to save the truck before it seized.

I think you are missing the point. The truck only needed maybe three quarts to be at the full mark on the dipstick. Those motors hold a lot of oil so three quarts is nothing unusual. He filled the engine full, as in beyond the crankcase and into valve area.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
csnow;886712 said:
I think you are missing the point. The truck only needed maybe three quarts to be at the full mark on the dipstick. Those motors hold a lot of oil so three quarts is nothing unusual. He filled the engine full, as in beyond the crankcase and into valve area.

Yea ..... sarcasm seems to be hard to read for some people.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I'm a firm believer that it's better to ask a stupid question that should be blatantly obvious, and not make the stupid mistake... than to just go ahead and do it without knowing, and THEN have to suffer the consequences of admitting you're an idiot.

That's what friends are for... they'll only make fun of you for a little while after asking something stupid like how to fill the oil. But when you blow a motor due to not checking the oil, you'll never live it down as the universal idiot...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
kabanimk3supra;886798 said:
maybe you should use this :biglaugh:from time to time.:biglaugh:

Yea but that takes all the fun out of sarcasm. When you say some thing totally sarcastic its best to keep a straight face seemingly serious.