So the insurance company booted the supra off the policy

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
They say the car is too old to be insured... : / damn these old sexy toyotas. they're gettin harder n harder to carry them on. And just in time too my tranny just took a shit...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
too old to insure? I'd think thats a good thing for the insurance companies...as the amount they are liable for on the car is now quite small...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
adampecush;1420164 said:
too old to insure? I'd think thats a good thing for the insurance companies...as the amount they are liable for on the car is now quite small...

There are also fewer safety features and hospital stays are more expensive than bills from the repair shop.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Sawbladz;1420167 said:
There are also fewer safety features and hospital stays are more expensive than bills from the repair shop.

They forget that the Mk3 was built on the same assembly line as the Sherman tank.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a Mk3 that didn't get the better end of a collision.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Check Hagerty collector/classic insurance. Depending on the year, your car may be eligible, and it's a lot cheaper than standard insurance. But make sure you tell them that you drive the car to meets all around the country and therefore need more than just a few miles per year. I think they normally limit you to like 5k miles, but you should be able to get the to 10k or 15k without too much difficulty.

woodytsi

Supramania Contributor
Apr 23, 2005
spring,tx
i have classic car on mine. i think i get like 1500miles per year,something like that.
woodytsi

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Zach;1420170 said:
They forget that the Mk3 was built on the same assembly line as the Sherman tank.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a Mk3 that didn't get the better end of a collision.
It does happen. Someone posted pics of a Supra that rear ended a transit bus a while back... the bus looks undamaged, and the Supra was peeled apart like a donkey eating dynamite.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
GrimJack;1420237 said:
It does happen. Someone posted pics of a Supra that rear ended a transit bus a while back... the bus looks undamaged, and the Supra was peeled apart like a donkey eating dynamite.

LMAO A+ for description xD

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Neodeuccio;1420176 said:
Check Hagerty collector/classic insurance. Depending on the year, your car may be eligible, and it's a lot cheaper than standard insurance. But make sure you tell them that you drive the car to meets all around the country and therefore need more than just a few miles per year. I think they normally limit you to like 5k miles, but you should be able to get the to 10k or 15k without too much difficulty.

LoL hagerty says the car must be valued at least 15k for my year... : /

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
State Farm has my '08 F150 limited, my '89 supra, and my '67 Mustang GTA and has never said anything about age. They also asked me what the replacement values would be on both the Supra and Mustang, gave me full coverage on them for that value and didn't rape me for policy rates!

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
teebone;1420268 said:
State Farm has my '08 F150 limited, my '89 supra, and my '67 Mustang GTA and has never said anything about age. They also asked me what the replacement values would be on both the Supra and Mustang, gave me full coverage on them for that value and didn't rape me for policy rates!

I doubt they will re-inburst for the single turbo or 1jz that you've put together tho right.. just a MK3 supra..

SupraMan1987;1420273 said:
That is some bullshit. What company is it if I may ask?

I have United Auto.. Well HAD lol . Im thinking about going over to progressive.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
teebone;1420268 said:
State Farm(Sucks ass on the Gulf Coast!) has my '08 F150 limited ( I totaled a 2000), my '89 supra (just upgraded from an 89 to 92), and my '67 Mustang GTA (my first an 2nd cars were 67's)

So many similarities! If you ever get ready to sell the GTA, drop me a line.

OP....Progressive is a good choice.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Zach;1420170 said:

Lol, this is true. The issue many insurance companies have is the fact the car is so stout. On newer cars the energy from the impact is absorbed and transfered to parts on the car. That's why newer car wrecks look so bad, the car is designed to absorb the energy rather than the passengers. With how strong the supra is, very little of the energy is absorbed by the car, and therefore it is transfered to the occupants, resulting in personal injury. Insurance companies would rather replace a new car than deal with a life time of hospital bills.

The Supra usually does come out better than other cars in a collision, but safety tests have shown the supra is poor at protecting occupants.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
teebone;1420268 said:

agreed

state farm has my 1987 supra on the FULL Coverage policy along with my 07 CTS. I have not gotten a single word from them about age requirements for the car!!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I've found most insurance companies in the UK are also producing RIDICULOUS quotes for older cars - not wanting to really insure them at all. I was quoted £1400 a year on a FIAT 500. 1.4 litre. Manual. The supra, at age 27, i'm either INELIGIBLE to be insured on it, or i end up with quotes approaching the £3000 a year mark. Despite having 9 years of no-claims bonus and a clean license.

So i tried a classic insurer. £237 a year. Guaranteed valuation. 3000 mile a year limit (its hard to even do that much here).

You want to try one.