So, I owe Domino's $60

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
I'm a delivery driver at Domino's and I really like it alot. Last Wednesday, I came out way over on my tips. I average about $50 (tips+gas) every night but last Wednesday, I left with $140.

Neither me nor my boss could believe it. We recounted my money at least three times with the same results. I asked my boss at least three times if I was going to be required to repay the money later (if they figured out what happened). I even offered to leave the money with her until everything was sorted out. She said "I don't see why you would need to, everything looks OK."

Well... guess what happened.:3d_frown:

The computer processed a credit card transaction incorrectly. It was a completely internal error... meaning no one could have known. The customer called back and let us know something was wrong. They were charged $60 extra.

My boss told me this today... a week later!!! The money is long since spent, as I told her it would be. The owner wants me to pay back the money but I don't think they can force me. They're software screwed up. They already payed me. They owe the customer. I shouldn't be required to pay for their mistake ...right?:1zhelp:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
You did not earn the money.

If the IRS screws up and takes too much money from you and doesn't tell you until next year, should they keep it?

greg88

May 14, 2005
dugums;946823 said:
You did not earn the money.

I agree.

If I would have known what was going on at the time, I would never have kept the money. I was assured that everything was OK. Now, a week later they want they're money. I just think that is a really big screw up on their part.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
It's not up to you to pay the customer. It's the responsibility of your employer to pay the customer. Why would any one tell the customer " Oh i gave that money to my employee, i will ask him to give it back to you" Thats not good managing skills.

greg88

May 14, 2005
slidebabyslide;946845 said:
It's not up to you to pay the customer. It's the responsibility of your employer to pay the customer. Why would any one tell the customer " Oh i gave that money to my employee, i will ask him to give it back to you" Thats not good managing skills.

That's exactly what I was thinking. When Domino's pays me cash at the end of the day, they should fully expect to never see that money again.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
as sucky as it is.....this a situation for you to be a stand up honest man and give $60 to dominos cause it was an honest mistake and thats not you money....then its up to dominos to be honest and appolagize and credit the customer back his/her money.

Kinda blows but thats what an honest person would do.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I work for Dominos here in Portland. If that kind of mistake was made, even after being checked 3 times, I would be required to pay back that $60. This is why I record how much of a tip I earn immediately after every delivery. If the numbers I come up with and my manager comes up with are different, we figure out what went wrong and take care of it.

Basically, pay the $60 back. It's not your money. If an employer over pays you, they will simply take it out of the next check usually. That's what happens in the Marine Corps.

Adam

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i used to deliver for pizza hut and one night we had a new manager and everything was out of order, 5 of my deliveries were long since cancled but they still charged me at the end of the night. i owed about 80 dollars. i said fuck it and quit, got a job for austins pizza in the rich part of town. way better tips. domino's wont give a shit. they have millions

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Smart drivers (like me) keep the drivers delivery reciepts so that at the end of the night I know where I delivered, how much the customers total was, how many deliveries I made, and how much my tips were from each delivery. I'm usually within a couple cents of what my manager comes up with.

Also, Dominos is a franchise. They aren't like Starbucks where every cafe is owned by 1 central company. My particular franchise is owned by a guy that franchises 14 stores so far, but it is very possible that the franchiser only has 1 store.

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i always wanted to keep organized... i dont deliver anymore though. quit about a week ago. i still remember when i first got the supra i knew that most of the peoples toppings were slid to one side haha

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Do you seriously think I'd deliver pizza in a 1J MKIII? Hell no! I got a Geo Metro 2-door for that. Damn site cheaper, more nimble, half the size of the Supra, and much tighter turning radius. Although even with a Geo, I'm still the fastest driver at my store.

Adam

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I would give them the $60, but I would seriously consider leaving if they asked me to. That's a company error and the manager stated that it would not need to be repaid if the error was found.

That being said, it is just $60, but it should just be a write-off for them. It's chump change.