So I just so happen to have a rapid prototyper(3d printer) and CNC.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
gixxer750 said:
adapter = uneven flow since the spaceing is different between the jz lower and the 7m lower.

Sure, you can make 500 on a stock manifold... but is it the best way?

Maybe I'll make some though. I will own a CNC before the end of the year.

So if the spacer is 300ish, and a 2jz manifold is what? 100 used? thats only like 100 bucks short of a long runner front facing. Regaurdless, I think I'll start drawing up the file in autocad once I get measurements. ;)

i was talking roughly 300 total, including cost of used 2j manifold. including whatever else like a throttle cable and things.

i just wonder about the IAC, TPS and CSI?

The spacing doesn't look that far off from the pics, i havnt seen it in real life so maybe its deceiving though. id imagine as long as its smooth it'll still flow good.

Dont get me wrong a custom manifold is worth the money for what you get, but IMHO alot of people including myself don't really NEED a perfectly flowing, perfectly tuned manifold, and i dont think a totally custom piece should be the only alternative. i really only want it so it cleans up the intercooler piping, if it flows as good as stock ill be happy with it.

Last edited:

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
SevenMKIII said:
I'm a little confused, he wants to help the community out by making many pieces, but won't mass produce them, and won't take personal orders?? Will it be like a group buy where 15 people can buy his product?

Anyway I'd vote adapter to 2JZ intake manifold anyday. Or maybe some carbon fiber interior pieces..

I didn't think it was that confusing. Limited batch runs.

"My" shop isn't a shop for making supra parts, it's for advanced experimental aerospace vehicle for the AFRL. Actually, the history channels Modern Marvels just filmed our shop for an upcoming episode entitled "Extreme Aircraft" or some shit like that. Sorry, but mass production is just out of the question.

I think I'll look into some type of engine cover. That's something that always bugged me about the 7M. The top looks like shit.

i was talking roughly 300 total, including cost of used 2j manifold. including whatever else like a throttle cable and things.

Good luck on that. I have a 2JZ manifold adaptor. If you think you're getting everything for around that price, i've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Just go with Ron.

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
Side mouldings made from composites would be awsome. Also any window trim , since our cars are 20 yrs or about to be, replacements would be nice. Mass production isn't needed because sadly every day a supra gets crushed. Might aswell make the remaning few look good.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
all window trim is available from the dealer (yes it's expensive, but it's not a simple part to make if you look at it...)

I have ONE...ONE thing I'd love to have and would kill for... ok, it's corny, but I want the horn button from the Transformer's movie...

Simple piece of clean plastic, engraved on the backside and then fill the cavity with whatever paint color you wish then paint black behind (or reverse that)

Would be cool to have...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
outofstep said:
I think I'll look into some type of engine cover. That's something that always bugged me about the 7M. The top looks like shit.

100% right.

I await the prototype with baited breath! I want one.

It will be a hot item for sure.

How long till you put one together? Please post pics asap.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I think it should be required to have relocated coil packs, so the whole thing is smooth. Besides....everything good should take a little work ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
gixxer750 said:
I think it should be required to have relocated coil packs, so the whole thing is smooth. Besides....everything good should take a little work ;)

Yeah, now that you mention it, it would lower the profile of the engine cover considerably. Also, I think it would make it easier to design and build.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
outofstep said:
Good luck on that. I have a 2JZ manifold adaptor. If you think you're getting everything for around that price, i've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Just go with Ron.

how is roughly $300 so out of the question? its just a thick flange made of aluminum. the guy in the other thread said it cost him 50 bucks for a plate big enough for two.

whats the going rate for a 2j manifold? 200? what else is needed at that point? a throttle cable?

material $50 enough for 2 to be on the safe side
Used 2j manifold ~$200
throttle cable $15

thats 265 including enough material to make 2 of them. what would labor be for this? cant be much cause theres not much labor involved. even if its 100, the whole thing all said and done cost 365. :dunno:

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
+ intercooler($200), plus custom intercooler piping(120 for just piping, 300+ to get someone to weld it and pipe), plus battery relocation(about 60-100 done right).

You will still be spending well over a grand doing a FFIM. Its not cheap any way you go.

Oh yes, and have you tried to find a non trac control jz TB? good luck.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
oh yes, ALT drop down bracket. Lets not forget that.

AGAIN, a RON R long runner is like 500 bucks, and better in sooo many ways.

If you can afford over a thousand to go FFIM (including EVERYTHING needed.) why not just spend a measly 200 more dollars and get what you need in the process.

I'm not sure, but I think Ron includes the drop down bracket in the price.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
gixxer750 said:
+ intercooler($200), plus custom intercooler piping(120 for just piping, 300+ to get someone to weld it and pipe), plus battery relocation(about 60-100 done right).

You will still be spending well over a grand doing a FFIM. Its not cheap any way you go.

Oh yes, and have you tried to find a non trac control jz TB? good luck.

All that cost is there regardless of witch route you go, even if you dont use a FFIM you would still be spending that money besides the alternator relocation bracket. only difference in cost including intercooler, piping, batt relocation, and alt brackets is the difference in cost of the manifold.

a Ron R. is $500 with no cable or Throttlebody, add another 200 for a throttlebody and its now 700, just for a manifold and throttlebody vs 3-400 for a manifold and throttlebody.

is the Ron R. a better manifold, ofcourse. do i need that good of a manifold, not really.

Im not arguing witch is better, i just think this option should be explored. hopefully someone will do it. Enough in this thread.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
200 for what throttle body? an Accufab? I purchased my q45 from ebay for $43 dollars.

You can run a 2jz TB, or even a stock one for that fact. although a non trac 2jz TB will cost you more than the q45 because they are semi rare.

Still, the Ron R is only about 200 dollars more. If you are already spending all that money anyhow, just pay the little bit more and get something proven.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
there is a kit to remove the traction control butterfly...

battery relocation isn't needed with a FFIM, intercoolers are cheap, and the cost to get the pipes welded up was WAY over the top.

The 2J manifold will look stock as well, while a ronr manifold will be obvious...

extendor

Jul 23, 2007
Devon
I wonder if I can help clear up a few issues here. There are several sorts of rapid prototype 'printers' but the most common are SLS (sintered materials) and SLA (laser polymerised). You dont say which, because each as its own plus and minus such as quality of finish, resolution of detail, temperature range, resistance to oils/water/solvents etc.

Each part needs a 3D CAD generated file, common formats include STP, IGS, STL and these are output from CAD software such as Autocad, Solidworks, Rhino, ProE, Inventor etc etc etc. If you want a part manufacturing using a 3D printer then you have to draw the part first and export it into a usable format.

Vac forming needs a tool. Either male or female depending on the cosmetic surface and the thinning as the material drapes. The forming then needs trimming. Can be done by hand but normally CNC. The issue here is making the tool in the firts place. They can be made using traditional modelmaking skills (carpentry based) but more often CNC using 3D CAD date. See paragraph above.

Composite parts such as vacuum bagging carbon/glass need a tool. Same as vacuum forming in many respects.

The big issue for many will be the CAD data. This is where I might be able to help. I have the following software - AutoCAD 2008, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor 11, Solidworks 2007 and have several years experience with all. I could convert Supra parts into 3D CAD files at a cost.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I can't believe this one hasn't been brought up yet, and was mentioned a couple of months ago. The little plastic piece that goes around the head, right behind the cam back plate, which covers up the wiring harnes in that area. It's made of plastic, gets really fucking brittle and breaks, and probably half of us even have one now due to that.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
ha. I've got a brand new wiring harness plastic thingy sitting in my closet collecting dust. It has never been on a car ...lol If I'd known all that, I would have sold it on ebay.

300 for pipes and welding in aluminum is too much? Thats my standard rate on the tig around here, and I'm the cheapest place.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Poodles said:
The 2J manifold will look stock as well, while a ronr manifold will be obvious...

BONG

i dont understand why your so against this idea. A 2j adapter would be to a Ron R. manifold as a SSAC exhaust manifold would be to a Ron R. exhaust manifold manifold. Ones better, ones cheaper, both work.