Smashed rear glass (windshield?)

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
Hey Guys,

this is kind of a humorous story kind of a warning and really a question.

A few weeks ago I was washing my windows at the gas station and I pulled back the rear windshield wiper blade to wash the window. The blade portion of the wiper fell off the arm and then the arm smashed down onto my rear windshield. Instantly spiderwebbing and destroying my back windshield. :cry::aigo::cry: (sorry no pictures...)

anyways, I got elite/safelite autoglass to do an in home repair and long story short the window that they put in was the wrong one. When they went to put the new moldings on they broke the new and weak (read wrong) glass. So now they just called me and told me that apparently I had the last supra rear/back windshield in the United States, and they couldn't get me a new one cause they don't make them anymore. (duh its an 89!)

anyways, I was wondering if you guys had similar problems with getting glass from an actual shop, or any comments about me stupidly smashing my glass :3d_frown: I can't believe that it is the last one. Also fyi I am going to be checking out salvage yards for glass so I am not interested in purchasing one on here. Just seeing if anyone has had a similar experience (either breaking or trying to find one).

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
it's called a back glass.what did they do,put the wrong color in it?did they atleast refund the money for the install?
i'm sure there's more in the country.i'll have to check my company's inventory at work tommorow.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
IJ.;1337132 said:
You have a really weird sense of humour dude.....

well apparently to everyone else it was really funny. I told my dad and brother and they laughed at me... but at least I can get a smile out of something that sucks...

and yes they are going to refund me my money. I wouldn't let them get away with breaking my new one without paying for it... or at least refunding it.

and no I don't know what was wrong with the glass... I think it was the wrong make(???) like tempered and not supposed to be or something to that extent. but i know nothing about glass types...:3d_frown:

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I needed a rear glass when I purchased my Supra. The local glass companies told me that all they could get were used rear windows, and once they had one shipped and installed; I'd be looking at around $450 to have one installed.

I ended up looking on Ebay, and found a seller that was selling complete rear hatches for $75. I bought a hatch from him, and drove to WI (next state over and about a 7 hour drive); and picked out which hatch I wanted to use. He had quite a few to chose from. All in all, I spent probably about $250 in gas, food, and the cost of his hatch.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
your best bet it to find one at a junkyard or one on here. Nothing is wrong with trying to find a hatch or just the glass piece on supramania, shipping might be a bitch though...

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
akito;1337264 said:
your best bet it to find one at a junkyard or one on here. Nothing is wrong with trying to find a hatch or just the glass piece on supramania, shipping might be a bitch though...

Ya I figured shipping would suck.. At least as much as the back glass... I like the whole hatch idea. Maybe just go that route

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
supraphoenix;1337050 said:
So now they just called me and told me that apparently I had the last supra rear/back windshield in the United States, and they couldn't get me a new one cause they don't make them anymore. (duh its an 89!)

Well I hope that wasn't the last rear window for a 89 in the US....

...because the one on my project supra is smashed out...

:1zhelp:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Call around. I just replaced glass in both doors. Prices and availability varied widely. If you don't want to replace the entire hatch (due to color matching), get a used hatch, take it to a glass place and have them move the glass from one hatch to the next. Of course if they break it, its your problem. But an old rusty hatch will probably be pretty cheap. Bonus is the rear winder defroster lines will also be on it. Its amazing that those defrosters last so long in these cars..

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
Dirgle;1337826 said:
It's true, no more new glass in the US. I had the same issue(with trying to source one). So I went with a used piece.

So did you just check salvage or did you buy online??

I'm interested in what you ended up doing because I am rapidly approaching the point where I am going to have to find something that will work.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I used to be a warehouse manager for Pilkington/LOF. They are a wholesaler to most glass shops, including Safelite (who also makes their own glass too). If you go to safelite, and request that you want an OE (original Equipment) part, they will grant your wishes and buy it out. The OE for your car would be an L/N (Libbey /Nippon made by LOF). 9 years ago when I worked there, they had a service called Glass Search, that will search the globe for the part. Ask safelite to call pilkington and see if they will search it. The list price of the part is the same no matter which glass they use, or should be.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
supraphoenix;1338097 said:
So did you just check salvage or did you buy online??

I'm interested in what you ended up doing because I am rapidly approaching the point where I am going to have to find something that will work.

I had a friend with a parts cars and I nabed the one of it.