Small roadcourse vid...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
prsrcokr said:
All in due time. I ran on crappy tires for a year until I swapped to these 2 events ago. I think it's one reason I'm able to get more out of them than the guys going right to the best tires.

I run Toyo Proxies 4, and noticed a massive difference with grip, when cold they are poop, but after a few mins of driving, they act like rails. Prolly helps that I have TIEN SS's on my car too.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond

fast 7m

track forged son!!!!!
Apr 19, 2007
portland
www.trackforged.com
have you ever thought about using coilovers? I heard they help you throw your car into corners better. I track race here in POrtland OR. we have some long straight away so I really need brakes. do you have break fade issue? i have a tough time slowing down from 130 miles and down..

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Thanks starscream, I'm gunning for him but he's got a lot of car to tap into.

I've been thinking about coilovers for a while, just haven't found a setup I like that I can afford. Might put a something together using Bilstein's sleeveover kit. As far as brakes, no fade for auto-x really and only minor in my novice roadcourse experience. I've only used a street pad (R4S porterfield) so far but they wore quickly on course. No problems slowing from 110-120 at the end of a straight though, just some fade noticed when not braking properly (very firm for short distances) which isn't the pads fault. The last DE I was able to brake deeper than some smaller cars.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I just posted in the "suspension q's" thread but i've been havin that body roll prob. drifting and autocrossing. Check out the Megan racing track series coilovers. Their front rates are 18kg and rears 14 kgs. So super stiff you shouldn't get any body roll. I've got Bilsteins w/ TRD Springs and its sux, too soft for me. I"m in the same boat where i want killer coilovers but don't have alot to spend, and i can get the Megans for under a grand so i'm gonna do that. Something to look into

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
JBlaze357 said:
Keep at it dog I'm headin to that event to compet myself. Let me know how you do!

Which event are you talking about?

Grimsta,
I've thought about the Megans just don't know anything about the shocks. I've heard stiff spring require a well valved shock to operate correctly. I was planning to build my own setup using Bilsteins and their adjustable sleeves but they're only valved for ~20% over stock rate which wouldn't be much of a spring. I thought the Megan rates and some others offered would be far too high but I hear they still have a fairly smooth ride, so maybe the valving is somewhat matched to the springs. Let me know if you try them, I need to do something, the swaybars don't cover the lower rates now that I'm using Azenis.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
No prob i should have the megans in 2-3 weeks if all goes well. I also need to get a pair of those nifty whiteline sway bars that we got made up!

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
i'm just curious.. how come you're running 550's/lex on the stock turbo? isnt that just wasting fuel that you dont really need? also just wondering, are u running the HKS racing type 2 BOV? ur car sounds great!

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Thanks, more fuel/air also I ran it to get around boost cut (was ~11/12 psi) now I run 14/15. I'm running rich (9.6:1) but hope to tune some soon with the MAFT Pro.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
It's the SSQV but without the finned insert. It has a fitting to reroute to the intake but then realized I couldn't because it sits in the wrong location and won't line up.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Update, i got the Megans and they are AWESOME. For $900 i don't think you can get a better bang for the buck suspension for an MK3. Super stiff, no body roll, just the right height. Good preload on the springs keeps weight from transfering and anything from rubbing. You would kick monstrous @$$ at the autocross with these. A+++ is my rating

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Thanks Grimsta, I saw your post on the SOGI list and sounded like you were impressed with them. If I can find some funds I might try a set for next season.

Brian

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Here's a vid of my runs, some close competition in D with 4 street tire folks within 1 second of each other, I ended up second on street tires after coning away the same time as the winner. (Fast STS guys don't come to these events, I'm sure they'd beat us easily)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Here's some from other folks:
http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1164601443&channel=769467767
http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1165621520&channel=769467767&lineup=-1

From this guy's vid I'd say I deffinitely need some stiffer springs.

Last edited: