smack down on 2010 camaro SS vs.1jz

Status
Not open for further replies.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I got off the high way from work today on a four lane road, very light traffic. I got a red light and I hear this new sounding V8 revving to the right of me across the intersection (he had a red light to). I see him looking at me. Then he takes off using launch control because he was out of the hole like a rocket. Then he slows to just under the speed limit (45). I get the green turn left, whipped around the car in front off me and catch him, hes cruising doing 35mph. I get a first glance at him the typical muscle car driver. Side by side no cars in front or behind, he romps on it a few times, and I rev. I drop to second gear right on the power band. I reset my boost gauge, and scramble stage two (18psi) then I brake boost. He drops the hammer, like he was waiting on me to get setup. The sound from the 6.2 is intimidating, but that's all it's got. I roll away slowly and have cleared him completely at 65. Then he shuts it down and makes a right turn like hes running away tail tucked. That was my first race on the streets with the supra and it felt great to smack down a much talked about car at my work.

mods: FMI, 2.5"IC pipes, y-pipe, 3" cat back just res and muffler, port matched turbos and manifolds, apexi avcr boost controller, greddy BCC

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Nice kill! I would have giggled all the way home at his quick exit.

I stopped last week at a dealership to look at one out of curiosity (Wouldn't but it for sure) and I talked to a salesman. I asked him what type of power they were putting out. He quickly replied 400HP, very proudly. So, I asked "is that at the crank or to the wheels?" His reply was, " It's 400 at the crank, but with the torque and all, it puts down about 450 at the wheels". I said "WOW, don't let me waste anymore of your time, I just wanted to see one up close". He hands me a business card, and tells me not to forget him when I get ready. I trashed that, but won't ever forget him.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:bsflag:

SS is 425HP and the LS motors are underrated 99% of the time. It was either a V6 or the auto SS that uses the lower power V8 or he didn't know how to drive.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Poodles, I'm going to have to call BS on your BS call. ;)

Admittedly, it was probably the auto SS, given his great launch performance, but that's a whopping 26hp difference. Stock SS dynos 365hp at the wheels, according to this page: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-Camaro-Timeslip-18637.html and the car weighs in at over 3900 lbs without fuel, driver, or carrying groceries.

On the other side, 1J cars with about his mod level and boost are pushing high 300s - SupraRacer ran 12.6 @ 112.8mph with 19psi on stock twins and fuel. That's more power at the wheels on a car that weighs less.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Poo..........please don't underestimate the powers of the mighty 1jz................:evil2:

My only question is "What does the typical muscle car driver look like", that way I'll know one when I see one.

staticpage

Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
auto is 400hp manual is 425hp for the SS, quarter mile is 13.4. I may have been wrong about the lunch control only the manual has it. even so it's irrelevant to my supra being faster in a roll race. my quarter mile is faster any how. Given that my quarter mile time is on different tires that this race was, traction is not an issue from a roll.

In addition I have had a water leak in my car from the rear lights and had to remove all the interior to get to the nuts that hold the lights in. every thing was wet, even the carpet was removed. on top of that I do have unlisted mods I'm not willing to reveal. I don't want my car to be a target for theft. not even a small target. But if you are a member you can read my for sale threads, you will find my old parts I just sold to replace with aftermarket parts.

Poodles I have been around long enough to know that you will question and call bs on any thing you think is even remotely questionable. But i ask you why would it not be possible, and why would I get off on lying to people I don't even know?

staticpage

Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
suprahero;1423254 said:
Poo..........please don't underestimate the powers of the mighty 1jz................:evil2:

My only question is "What does the typical muscle car driver look like", that way I'll know one when I see one.

fastandthefurious4_5_m.jpg

and a quick google search came up with this
urbandictionary Muscle Car Junkie

a little segment from that like

Muscle Car Junkie:
"A Ignorant Muscle car enthusiast that thinks only american muscle is the way to go. Some overdue it to the point where its only american v8's are good cars. "Notice how they wont talk about anything else besides the engine." Muscle car Junkies are often found hating on other peoples cars for no aparent reason, and cant tell a difference between a tuner and a ricer. They assume just because they saw a ricer with a Giant wing. Every Japanese car enthusiast is the same. Muscle car Junkies are not to be confused with the average Muscle car enthusiast that respects all other cars Or that just like american cars..."

it goes on with much greatness.

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
ForcedTorque;1423109 said:
I stopped last week at a dealership to look at one out of curiosity (Wouldn't but it for sure) and I talked to a salesman. I asked him what type of power they were putting out. He quickly replied 400HP, very proudly. So, I asked "is that at the crank or to the wheels?" His reply was, " It's 400 at the crank, but with the torque and all, it puts down about 450 at the wheels". I said "WOW, don't let me waste anymore of your time, I just wanted to see one up close". He hands me a business card, and tells me not to forget him when I get ready. I trashed that, but won't ever forget him.

One time i was at a ford dealership asking about the 09 gt500 they had. i asked how it compared to the GTR, and he started explaining to me how the new GTR's were rotary engines. :nono:

to OP: nice kill! find him again and get a video for us. :biglaugh:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1423193 said:
:bsflag:

SS is 425HP and the LS motors are underrated 99% of the time. It was either a V6 or the auto SS that uses the lower power V8 or he didn't know how to drive.
You sure like to call BS on supras beating new V8 cars huh.

Every V8 car we have at the track here in mn on a street night was pretty easy to beat.

basically meaning, that until that motor is SAE certified and tested, there is no Real hp rating. because of so many freakin dyno's and variables and blah blah..... it's really more of a "Guesstimate"

Now I'm just going off what the guys from the site you posted said.....towards the bottom of the page. ;] even they said that reading was high.... for that dyno chart posted.

lol, i was speed reading, so don't quote me ;]

the site ;]

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21259

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
funky_monkey58;1423294 said:
You sure like to call BS on supras beating new V8 cars huh.

Every V8 car we have at the track here in mn on a street night was pretty easy to beat.

Oh, this would only be, I dunno, the first time, go drink your haterade somewhere else. Also note the simple fact that the OP has NOT stated all of his mods so a fair comparison is IMPOSSIBLE.

Actually no, the new standards just mean an ASE certified technician has to be standing there during the dyno session. As companies can be sued (and lose, Ford Cobra anyone?) on claiming higher power, it's in their best interest to state realistic numbers (usually what there absolute worst engine would put out).

I can't count how many cases I've seen of LSx engines putting out much more power than what GM claims. Also keep in mind they make quite a bit more after a full break in.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1423312 said:
Oh, this would only be, I dunno, the first time, go drink your haterade somewhere else.

Actually no, the new standards just mean an ASE certified technician has to be standing there during the dyno session. As companies can be sued (and lose, Ford Cobra anyone?) on claiming higher power, it's in their best interest to state realistic numbers (usually what there absolute worst engine would put out).

I can't count how many cases I've seen of LSx engines putting out much more power than what GM claims. Also keep in mind they make quite a bit more after a full break in.

I happen to remember a thread someone posted about running a GT500 that you called BS on also.

I saw a 427 sbc corvette put down 480rwhp on saturday.
And this was a BUILT corvette.
Right after we strapped the old supra on and put down 507 with 21psi.

If you want pics I would be happy to oblige you.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
21psi on what? What mods?

That the damn point. Nobody in their right mind would look at the first post and say "sure he could walk on it from a roll when he should be around 50HP less than the SS." I called BS because it didn't add up, he said he didn't state all his mods, it now makes sense?

Get it? Or do I have to go back and explain again?

mx83gte

Sep 27, 2009
chicago illinois
I rocked a 2010 camaro lol, it was a base model, undoubtedly, on the freeway, 89 na supra, mild mods, speed limiter bypassed, he wasnt happy his baby quit pullin, and im thinkin how much ya pay for that, besides gm should have brought back the firebird and trans am, grrr so i have an 88 turbo targa now and my mx83gte, couldnt decide between the two , so i kept them both, will post pix soon

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Poodles;1423326 said:
21psi on what? What mods?

That the damn point. Nobody in their right mind would look at the first post and say "sure he could walk on it from a roll when he should be around 50HP less than the SS." I called BS because it didn't add up, he said he didn't state all his mods, it now makes sense?

Get it? Or do I have to go back and explain again?
The stuff required to run 21psi silly.

And 18psi we made 440rwhp on the dyno. So it adds up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.