Slotted rotors

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
i used blanks for the rear

the way they came it said one was a passenger side and the other a drivers side and they had different par numbers and even had a diagram to show how to install them correctly, possible that's wrong but

"For rotors with slots machined in the opposite direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the front of the car."

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BrandonW;1854544 said:
i used blanks for the rear

the way they came it said one was a passenger side and the other a drivers side and they had different par numbers and even had a diagram to show how to install them correctly, possible that's wrong but

"For rotors with slots machined in the opposite direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the front of the car."
Yep Vanes are the critical component for cooling, DBA Vanes are omnidirectional so the slots face backwards.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
http://www.cquence.net/

I would recommend everyone check these guys out. I bought my dimpled and slotted rotors from them, and my ceramic pads from them. They have been on about two months now, and they perform very well. They are custom made when you order, so they will take maybe a week and a half to make and ship out. You can not beat them for the price either. I got my front and rear rotors and my pads for $250. Also check their facebook page, as they always have a discount going on. I researched them a little bit before I bought mine, and some NSX guys run them and with luck, and I never have seen any complaints really.

These guys also use the same blanks that centric, stoptech, and ebc use if memory serves me right.

Last edited:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Centric rotors are made as a cheaper alternative to StopTechs, as are Power Slots. I'm not sure where theyre made or anything, but I'm sure theyre still a good bet.

As far as EBC Greenstuffs, they are supposed to be the OEM replacements, and redstuff is meant for track duty. I have greenstuffs on my DD and am very happy with them. Low noise, mess, and definitely work well

xPUNKx

Aug 7, 2010
Tasmania
IJ.;1854224 said:
Only ever used Yellows so NFI on Reds/Greens sorry.

I'm currently running the redstuff pads with RDA slotted rotors. All I can say is they are a lot better than OEM pads, and like most track pads the hotter they get the better they perform. Haven't tracked my car yet so can't tell you what fade is like. For street driving they have good initial bite, you don't have that OH SHIT moment when the brakes don't work like some other cars I've been in :p

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
ebc_rotors.jpg

I went with EBC on the 240sx, which has 300zx brakes - 4 corners... for around $100/each made in britian, can't go wrong...

slotted/dimpled..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
xPUNKx;1854604 said:
I'm currently running the redstuff pads with RDA slotted rotors. All I can say is they are a lot better than OEM pads, and like most track pads the hotter they get the better they perform. Haven't tracked my car yet so can't tell you what fade is like. For street driving they have good initial bite, you don't have that OH SHIT moment when the brakes don't work like some other cars I've been in :p
Thanks for that, used "R" pads in the past and had a few "Ohhh SHIT" moments when stone cold so shyed away from them this time and used the Yellows.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
T701jz;1854513 said:
This is the second time I've seen members installed those slotted or drilled rotors backward.

I think you are mis-informed. You cannot tell the correct side for a directional rotor by looking at the Slots on the rotor. It is all based on the internal vein direction which you cannot even see in this picture...

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
supradjza80;1855006 said:
I think you are mis-informed. You cannot tell the correct side for a directional rotor by looking at the Slots on the rotor. It is all based on the internal vein direction which you cannot even see in this picture...
Vanes direction vs slots direction
In this case I wasn't talking about the vanes direction (cooling). I was referring to the slots direction. Manufactured would say it does not matter... lol. I did some test to see if it really does not matter (wrong). Using the direction of the mfg caused damage to the disk a lot sooner and the vibration (noise) was a huge factor. Opposite direction did perform a lot better with long life span of the disk/pads, less dust build up, and quieter performance. Mind you the vanes were not directional so it did not matter. I and the mfg have a different perspective/theory when it comes with inclined cut... meaning which end of the slots touches the pad first.

Funny thing about these new slotted/drilled rotors (straight vanes) I bought it had a marked (D-rotor and P-rotor) @ the direction just as how I would install it...lol

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
T701jz;1855029 said:
Vanes direction vs slots direction
In this case I wasn't talking about the vanes direction (cooling). I was referring to the slots direction. Manufactured would say it does not matter... lol. I did some test to see if it really does not matter (wrong). Using the direction of the mfg caused damage to the disk a lot sooner and the vibration (noise) was a huge factor. Opposite direction did perform a lot better with long life span of the disk/pads, less dust build up, and quieter performance. Mind you the vanes were not directional so it did not matter. I and the mfg have a different perspective/theory when it comes with inclined cut... meaning which end of the slots touches the pad first.

Funny thing about these new slotted/drilled rotors (straight vanes) I bought it had a marked (D-rotor and P-rotor) @ the direction just as how I would install it...lol

Wilwood proves you wrong ;)

0703cr_02_z+wilwood_big_brakes+slotted_rotors.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^I think it depends on manufacturer....

AMG does it the same way as above

images

most rotors I have seen that could be mis-interpreted have a stamping; R or L