Skid Plate

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
skid plate?

you mean under cover that covers the bottom of the enigne? if yes then is dramatically helps the cooling of the engine.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
It helps the air coming through from the front of the car to flow through the radiator, same purpose as a fad shroud.

aluminumundercov&#.jpg
Found this cool pic thought I would share

-Sam

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
it comes stock but most people end up either taking it off or it falls off. it helps with the air flow for directing it towards the engine and out, as with out it all the incoming air from beneath the car will keep all the hot air circulating threw the engine keeping engine temps up. it comes stock as most cars and is about 123$

closetnerd

35% Biotic
Feb 15, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
hvyman;1522832 said:
it comes stock but most people end up either taking it off or it falls off. it helps with the air flow for directing it towards the engine and out, as with out it all the incoming air from beneath the car will keep all the hot air circulating threw the engine keeping engine temps up. it comes stock as most cars and is about 123$

Now that I think about it, I believe my mazda 6 had a short plastic one. Depending on the material costs, I'm thinking of making one very similar to the picture posted.

My original concern was to try and prevent the oil pan/cross member from getting destroyed from those unexpected dips in the road. But, with additional pros such as better cooling, its even more intriguing.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
cooling? i don't have that under car piece nor a fan shroud and have never had a problem with it over heating. Mind you i have never sat in traffic with is so it just may have never gotten the chance to run hot on me. is there a factory shroud that does not have the cut outs for the AUX electric fans? My aunt replaced the panel under the car once about 10 years ago but it broke a year after I got it and never replaced it. was thinking about making a templet out of card board and geting one made of carbon fiber. Seams like it would hold up better and not be as heavy and metal or aluminum.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
That would be very expensive to just put it under the car to have rocks hit it and scrape it on speed bumps and whatnot. I would rather have a few pounds extra and know that I didn't just waste the cash on something that nobody will ever see and will be messed up for sure.....

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Speaking of the under cover, I just picked up a used one for 30 bucks in brand new condition. I was wondering if anyone knows the hardware needed to mount it? Also, I'm worried about it ripping off as so many seem to do. Is the best way to prevent the bolt holes from tearing is adding washers above and below? Is there anything better or will the washer be all I need?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
iwannadie;1523084 said:
Speaking of the under cover, I just picked up a used one for 30 bucks in brand new condition. I was wondering if anyone knows the hardware needed to mount it? Also, I'm worried about it ripping off as so many seem to do. Is the best way to prevent the bolt holes from tearing is adding washers above and below? Is there anything better or will the washer be all I need?

I ordered my hardware straight from the dealer and it was about 10-15$ from curt at elmhurst.

with regard to cooling, the undercover helps direct airflow through your oil, radiator and power steering cooler while at speed. It has a negligible effect sitting in traffic.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Carbon fiber would save weight but it would be such a small amount of weight you wouldn't notice. In addition, carbon fiber fails explosively...imagine glass shards. Under the rare circumstance you get in an accident or run over a giant rock and it happens to jam up against it until it fails, all that shrapnel will fly into your engine bay and you'll never be able to clean it all out, not to mention what will jam into any hoses on the underside of your engine.

The car doesn't overheat without the undertray, but it is harder work for the car to stay cool. Imagine running a mile in 10:00...quite possible for most people. Now imagine running a mile with a backpack filled with sand on your back in under 10:00. Doable, but it'll work you a lot harder.

Washers will help alleviate the problem, yes. The more you can distribute the stress the better. The undertray seems to fail most often at those bolt holes because of the small space between the holes and the outside edge of the tray. If you buy a new one don't expect it to break overnight, it'll last more than a few years under regular driving conditions ;)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
skidplate damage is most always cause by the driver carelessness . people come to the shop all the time asking to look at it cause " its making a scraping noise" after they go over a curb, rock, or bottom out the car out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supradjza80;1523221 said:
I ordered my hardware straight from the dealer and it was about 10-15$ from curt at elmhurst.

with regard to cooling, the undercover helps direct airflow through your oil, radiator and power steering cooler while at speed. It has a negligible effect sitting in traffic.

Mine would run 6>10c hotter at 100Kmh (60mph with no undertray)

Had a bud help fit it once and he forgot the 3 bolts under the rad support and it was +5c at speed so it's important enough to always refit.

I made a sump guard/bashplate as the Chev has an cast Al pan (pics in my pics thread)

SupraMadness

Dec 11, 2009
Del Rio
I used to have a skid plate or spark plate on my old 240. Shit was slammed everytime id hit sumtin hard sparks would fly out the rear end. Lol. Shit was legit haha.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Shit, some one should get a hold of toyota, or some one that can get discount toyota parts and have a GB on these. 95% of the supra's out there are missing them and need one.