Signal wire for electric fans?

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
So i would like to know what wire i should use as a signal for my electric fans, i'd like to have it run whenever the car is on, just wondering where i should run the signal from, hopefully theres something in the fuse box that i can tap into!

edit:

So i did some looking around on the tsrm and found this
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=13
im assuming i want to hooik into relay D? are these relays under the fuse box?

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Because this would be easier.
Where would this thermostat go? I mean i have the factory thermostat, but i heard that that is only for the stock auxilary fans and kicks on at a higher temperature than what i would need, so i figured it could just have them be on when the car is running. That would give me the most cooling

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
jdmfreak;1737317 said:
i have always seen them wired into the cig fuze ... not sure if its the best place but it comes on with the ignition

haha, thats a good idea, yeah also i could wire it to the accessory signal for the stereo, but i think there should be something in the engine bay , i didn't feel like running more wires through the dash :/, i've had enough of that, i think ill find something in the fuse/relay box to use, but good idea though, if i can't find a signal near my radiator.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A few things.

The thermostats that stick to your radiator aren't worth using, IMO, for a number of reasons. Dig on the forum and you'll find a lot of problems.

Considering that decent efans pull a *lot* of current, you really need to wire them properly. Furthermore, having them on all the time means you are pulling a lot of power off the alternator when driving, which is going to put a bunch of extra drag on the engine. I'd rather have them come on when needed, and leave me the power for other things when not needed.

Lastly, cooling is critical on the Supra, so doing it half as good as you can is a recipe for blowing up an engine and parting out the car... Nice for the rest of us looking for parts, but kind of shitty for the OP.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
An in-coolant thermostat installed in the thermostat housing, controlling two 40amp relays, one for each fan, power wired direct from the battery or alternator, each power line fused separately, and use big enough wire to support the current draw properly. Furthermore, I wire mine so the signal wire keeps them *off*, that way if something fails, the fans turn on. I'd rather run too cool than too hot.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Arrest_me_red;1737383 said:
thank you!
Just need a little more detail on the thermostat
Will the stock one work? or do i need to buy one?
I don't know any way to make the stock one work, sorry.

jdmfreak;1737391 said:
How do you wire it so the signal wire keeps them off? ?? Special thermostat??

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Well, personally, I use a Vipec standalone, so it's simple. For anyone still using the stock ECU, it will be more complex.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
If you have an aftermarket radiator like I do (koyo),
It has a threaded port do you can install a temperature switch that you can wire up as a fan controller
And it will provide a ground for the fan relays at whatever temp you select. I'm using it as an aux fan to my condensor when the AC is on.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
f00g00;1737715 said:
And it will provide a ground for the fan relays at whatever temp you select. I'm using it as an aux fan to my condensor when the AC is on.
Your radiator should never be connected to ground - the stock one is isolated at all connections for a reason. Look up galvanic corrosion... it can eat through an aluminum radiator in under a year, given the right conditions.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Its a toyota temp switch, two wires and ground is external, not a one wire switch using case ground.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
YoNkErS87t;1743798 said:
^^^^^^^Do you have a part number on that switch?^^^^^^^^^
BA1580783-1.jpgI don't have the number but its from around a late 90's early 2000 camry. I got the plug from a junkyard. You can get one from Napa probably with a plug and just splice it in. Ive got one wire going to ground and the other from a 30 amp relay to energize when the temp gets around 210 with the AC on.
Here is a pic of a simular switch but mine is stubbier. If you go to napa you can ask for a switch that comes on at 210 and goes off at 195 or something similar.

Last edited: