Sign in for Alabama Supra's rollcall

SupraNBama

Apr 1, 2005
Anniston,Alabama
well got some work done today and the 7mge is going to come out...there is no saving the engine it is to far gone so i will be doing a jz swap to the car...going to take my time on it...put the interior back together and then go from there...

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
Last weekend I picked up a 7M-GE from the pull-a-part in Atlanta. This is to serve mainly as a replacement block, but I think it also has some other stuff that is in better condition than my old motor. So far I haven't seen any signs of BHG and the engine turns over pretty easily. However, there is a lot of nastiness in the cylinders in the form of carbon deposits and engine grime.

I've got an engine stand that's about 75% complete that my dad started building about 30 years ago. As soon as I finish putting it together, the engine will be bolted up to receive a few new gaskets and seals as well as a good cleaning.

Are there any areas that I really need to check that are problematic? I plan on getting it all right before I put it in to reduce the chance of having to pull it later (for now that just means stock NA rebuild).

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If it's a complete rebuild then you'll be good to go. I would just make sure you have all new seals and gaskets so there isn't any leaking later. Good luck.

dogdrake

Oct 25, 2008
Gadsden Alabama
Mowgli87;1351534 said:
Last weekend I picked up a 7M-GE from the pull-a-part in Atlanta. This is to serve mainly as a replacement block, but I think it also has some other stuff that is in better condition than my old motor. So far I haven't seen any signs of BHG and the engine turns over pretty easily. However, there is a lot of nastiness in the cylinders in the form of carbon deposits and engine grime.

I've got an engine stand that's about 75% complete that my dad started building about 30 years ago. As soon as I finish putting it together, the engine will be bolted up to receive a few new gaskets and seals as well as a good cleaning.

Are there any areas that I really need to check that are problematic? I plan on getting it all right before I put it in to reduce the chance of having to pull it later (for now that just means stock NA rebuild).

Shim the oil pump or install a new one. front and rear main seals and cam seals. new head gasket retorque head to 78 ftlbs

phillyd

Supramania Contributor
Oct 15, 2008
Auburn, AL
Mowgli87;1352311 said:
Thanks guys! I'll keep everyone updated.

Yo, David! Welcome to the board.

Let me know if you shim your oil pump...i'd like to do that to mine sometime soon and could use any good pointers.

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
hi guys. hello to the red n/a in trussville, the TT in mobile and all the MKIII's in supra-land. I just spent about an hour reading through threads and such.

What's new for me. Wife graduated pharmacy school and we took a 6k mile california road trip (not in the supra). I've put about 1500 miles on it since I saw everyone at Steele last year. Got new wheels/tires and alignment, but haven't drove it. Had to replace the battery because of not driving it.

Our house is for sale in Fultondale. We'll be moving I-20 east-ish. Her pharmacy is in Anniston. Once I get a new house with a garage, my MKIV will be disassembled for sure. The motor is definitely coming out as soon as I have a place to work on it. I'll probably buy one of those XSPower kits from clubna-t and replace whatever is junk from the kit. Pretty sure i'll stick with the W58 but go will a better clutch, probably a Spec.

So we have maybe 2 months for a meet and then I'm tearing it apart.

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
dogdrake;1359413 said:
hey i was at steele last year did we meet? were you at the dyno meet this year?

Pretty sure we met. Wasn't at the dyno meet this year. I'm the guy with the Super F_U_G_L_Y green non-turbo MKIV. Speaking of 2JZGE's, I think I'm going to buy the GE shortblock that is in the for sale section here in the forums. $350 dollars is a steal for a mostly complete GE shortblock. Or I think it is at least. I could always use a spare motor.

EDIT: I bought bhmsupra's floor mats if that helps at all.

Last edited:

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
dogdrake;1360162 said:
Dude, that car isn't ugly i love the color it's different.
I took some new pictures of it so everyone can comment on it's fugliness ;P
I changed the wheels last year and haven't taken a picture of it since.

picture.php

picture.php

At least I keep it clean, right >:p

Mowgli87

Jun 4, 2009
Alabama
jcpham;1362031 said:
I took some new pictures of it so everyone can comment on it's fugliness ;P
I changed the wheels last year and haven't taken a picture of it since.

At least I keep it clean, right >:p
Dude, I dig that color too! When you said fugly I was thinking something like lime green. Looks good IMO.

Pseudo progress report:

I was finally able to start the tear-down on the replacement motor yesterday... So much for that 30 day warranty :sadwavey:
Anyway, I have a question for you guys. I noticed that the timing belt had begun to walk off the sprockets slightly. There are signs of contact with the #3 timing cover. What kind of root problems should I look for once I get into the heart of the motor?

Last edited: