SevenMKIII's First Build!

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Little background... (I guess this is sort of a late introduction, too)

My first Supra. My friend has owned this car for probably 6 years and put maybe 5k miles on it. In the past 1 1/2 years I've been wanting this car very bad because I knew the true potential, but everyone was against it. He's not the best at rebuilding or taking his time while doing so. I snagged his '87 Supra 5spd with 78k original miles on the body with a BHG swapped JDM motor from one of his friends, ha. On to my build...

Purchased another JDM 7MGTE through Soshin USA, awesome company, highly recommended. Knew I wouldn't be stupid and just throw it in there, so I'm finally almost finished with my rebuild now. Tore the motor apart and found a pretty decent platform to build on.
p571021_1.jpg
No BHG, parts looked pretty decent, none of the bearings were worn down, scored, no copper showing so I was pretty pumped. I took the block and head to my machine shop and had them deck the block and head to the smoothest RA value they could get it to, turned out great. Also had them hone the cylindars while it was there. Got the block back and resumed tearing it down, cleaning it, and applied several coats of 1200* high temp bright red engne paint covering everything necessary. Checked all clearances on main journals and rods with plastigauge, all checked out perfect. I know it's not the most reliable source but it is said to work. Before I go on here is a list of the parts I have already purchased for my build:

Engine:
-Complete engine gasket kit (really will only use a few, RTV and the right stuff for everything else!)
-Brand new Toyota oil pump (shimmed 6mm)
-Brand new Toyota water pump
-HKS 1.2mm bead type MHG
-ARP head studs
-ACL rod/main bearings/thrust washers
-Nippon piston rings
-Cleaned stock pistons-looks new!
-All new Gates accy belts
p571021_2.jpg

-Belt tensionor kit
-New 90* coolant hose on back of head with new worm gears
-EGR! Cruise! MAF!:evil2: Carbon Can! VSV's! PCV! A/C! CT26!:evil2:
-Denso 550cc injectors
-VooDoo 6 port vacuum manifold
p571021_3.jpg

-Inline water temp sending unit thing from Prosport
-Basically new alternater
p571021_4.jpg

-Made custom bracket to hold 1 12" fan and 1 14" fan, call it overdoing it if you want but I want my car to be reliable
p571021_5.jpg

Exhaust:
-HKS Sport turbo upgrade T04e I believe? Hard to find info on it
p571021_6.jpg

-Cooleze Megamouth downpipe
-Bottlenecked 2.5 or 2.75" catback, WILL be replaced with 3" and test pipe once money is replenished :biglaugh:

Intake:
-24x12x3" eBay intercooler
-2.5" aluminum piping with silicone hump hoses
-Greddy type RS BOV (thanks to driftmotion! received today)
-3" pipe from HKS turbo to large filter

Oil:
-12"x9" oil cooler relocating to passenger side, no hardlines
-Stainless feed line for turbo

Ignition:
NGK wires to coil pack relocated on firewall
NGK copper plugs

Electronics:
-HKS VPC
p571021_7.jpg

-HKS EVC II
-HKS Turbo Timer
-Autometer Lunar Boost gauge 0-35psi (All gauges in pods on dash, pics to come)
-Autometer Lunar Pyrometer 0-1600*
-AEM UEGO wideband
-iEquus Oil pressure, water temp, and voltage till I can affort more Lunars

So I already have the short block together, crank, pistons and rods and oil pump are in. Tomorrow I'll be doing more work on it. I try to be organized and I'm relocating things to hide them. Area around struts are bare besizes EVC stuff. I've been taking as much time as I can with this, cleaning parts like crazy getting everything to look brand new and using all the proper torque specs and assembly lube where required/recommended. Goals for this car are reliability! No rodknock or BHG here.. But I want to make decent power. I don't want to completely disappoint myself so if I make 375hp to the wheels at around 18-21 psi I will be happy, for now:evil5: Give me ANY suggustions I'm open to any input and questions.

Attachments

• IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Thanks guys, tomorrow is the last day before Spring Break so we have been swamped with tests and papers. Hopefully I can get a lot more pictures tomorrow. I'm hoping to finish the motor by the end of Spring Break, all I need to do is buy a tool to reinstall the valvesprings (unless someone wants to let me borrow theirs for a few bucks haha) and put the longblock back together. I know I'll run into a few more obstacles but I think if I get one or two good long days I can finish getting the motor together.

-Chris

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Some more pictures for tonight.
Test fitting the primary timing cover/finding all bolts haha
p574694_1.jpg

Painted block/decked/honed/cleaned pistons
p574694_2.jpg

Shiny mating surface:love:
p574694_3.jpg

Cooleeze
p574694_4.jpg

Water pump and head studs
p574694_5.jpg
p574694_6.jpg

The Rebel :evil2:
p574694_7.jpg

Custom $5 fan mount
p574694_8.jpg

EVC stuff
p574694_9.jpg

Testing pipe routing
p574694_10.jpg

Red valve covers and all valves/springs/collets in baggies
p574694_11.jpg

Where Boeings get wet
p574694_12.jpg

My HKS Sport turbo
p574694_13.jpg

"Poor Man's Ceramic" 1200* aluminum paint :biglaugh:
p574694_14.jpg

More coated parts
p574694_15.jpg

Cleaned strut tower area
p574694_16.jpg

Boost, Pyrometer, and AEM UEGO in ball-and-socket cups
p574694_17.jpg

-Chris

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
And a few more...
78k original miles
p574700_1.jpg

FMIC peeking about-Should I cut the bumper??
p574700_2.jpg

Greddy Type RS
p574700_3.jpg

Cleaning up combustion chamber and ports
p574700_4.jpg

Denso 550's
p574700_5.jpg

I have 3 stock turbo TB's, two were the same size but this one was I think 65mm ID? the others were 60 or 61mm IIRC, any ideas?
p574700_6.jpg

Back shot
p574700_7.jpg

Keeps my sanity *notice temp if you can make it out*
p574700_8.jpg

Last but not least, what's left of my brothers car before getting ITS rodknock cured heh heh heh :biglaugh:
p574700_9.jpg

-Chris

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Few toys to make sure my gauges don't blow anything up. Probably overdue, trying to find a 30amp relay switch in town but nobody has one! Head is getting professionally sonic cleaned and reassembled with new valve seals, dropped it off this afternoon and he said I can pick it up tomorrow morning, quick turnaround!

p579323_1.jpg

-Chris

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Thanks! I'm not looking for anything special, just to get my stuff to not look like @$$ basically haha. It was $5 a can and "says" it's engine enamel and it protects to 1200* so it has to be somewhat better than just spray paint.

-Chris

tonystarks

mmmmm......beer
Dec 7, 2006
hell
nice build :naughty: Where are you getting the head done? I am supposed to drop my head off in a couple weeks @ some place in Algonquin. I wish I had the time to tear my car apart........:cry:

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I got my head back today, looks great and it was cheap. $64.89 for disassembling head, sonic cleaning it, and reassembling with new valve seals. Looks brand new on most parts. Got it all done at Kalina Machine in Peoria. On to the pics!
Closeup
p580396_1.jpg

A head from far, far away
p580396_2.jpg
p580396_3.jpg

p580396_4.jpg
p580396_5.jpg
p580396_6.jpg

-Chris

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I got some more work done on my car but ran into a hopefully not too big of a problem. Got the HKS hg on, cleaned head is on doing 5 passes in 8 steps from 15-82ft lbs on the arp studs, cams in, painted water pump, timing belt tensioner, oil pump ds gear, cam gears and timing belt. When installing the lifter buckets, a lot of the intake ones were very hard to get in. I had them all in order, so I know they went in the same bore or whatever, but they kept catching on the valvesprings. One would NOT go down for anything, but I finally shimmied it down but it wouldn't rotate. Bad move. I was thinking once it has more oil and is warmed up it will break itself free and bounce back from the spring, but as I bolted the cams down it just went down and when I rotated the cam it stuck down there. It is very tight and I don't know what's wrong?! HELP! Do have have to take everything back apart and take the head off to fix this stupid bucket?? Check the pics out.
p582442_1.jpg
p582442_2.jpg
p582442_3.jpg
Also, I shimmed the oil pump but it says to shim the relief spring too. Is that beneath the lower bolt in this picture?
p582442_4.jpg
Thanks

-Chris

Last edited:

SevenMKIII

Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Today was my last day of spring break, so I'm not too pleased with not being able to clean the heck out of everything and paint it to match. Someday I'll get around to removing piece by piece and painting them but for now this will do, I have been without a car for about 4 months. Pretty sure the motor is entirely assembled, to my knowledge haha. Here's a overall pic
p584355_1.jpg
And what's this peeking through the nooks and crannies?
p584355_2.jpg
I need some MSD spark plug wires and spark plugs, and the Hose Techniques silicon hose kit, a battery, LOTS of oil and some coolant and I'll be good to go this weekend.

-Chris