Seafom

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
personally i think seafoam is snake oil. lotsa folks swear by it tho....i used it a cple times \ never saw any appreciable improvement, dam shit is almost 10 bux a can:yikes: ive heard people say it may clog yer cat converter.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
What part of the engine? Definately don't put it in the oil, and you could do much the same effect as sucking it into the intake by using water to steam clean the cylinders. Fuel system, run a decent fuel and you won't have issues...

I've never once seen a car run better after a seafoam treatment. They either ran the same, or worse. YMMV

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Well some dumd ass (ME) got in a hurry and wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and as bad as I hate to admit to plugged a vacuum line into the windshield washer line. Please I'm hating on myself so bad right now. That just goes to show why the main cus of failure of the 7 mgte is (the dumbass owner)!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sharpsupra;1774516 said:
personally i think seafoam is snake oil. lotsa folks swear by it tho....i used it a cple times \ never saw any appreciable improvement, dam shit is almost 10 bux a can:yikes: ive heard people say it may clog yer cat converter.

Not even made from the Snake heads ;)
(the most magical part)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
On one of my previous cars, I sucked half a can of it in the PCV valve and put the other half in my gas tank. After I finished the smoke show I pulled the plugs again and they looked brand new (these plugs were ~14 years old at the time and showed it). From what I could see peeping through the spark plug holes the pistons looked to be cleaned of carbon build up.

Can't say I really noticed a performance gain, but it did clean the plugs at the very least. I'd say I got ten bucks worth of lulz from the smoke show.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I remember when I was a kid there was this shade tree mechanic that lived in the neighborhood. Every once in a while I would see one hell of a smoke show. Turns out what he would do was take a quart of transmission fluid mixed with water into an empty milk gallon jug. Hold the carburator WOT, and bottoms up the jug of the mixture into the carb. He said it cleans the inside of the engine.

Looking back at it now I wonder how in the hell the engine didn't hydrolock itself with that much water dumping into the engine.

JStoked, hows that 700rwhp build coming? Any pics?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
There is nothing wrong with the engine consuming some washer fluid. Especially if it was just sucking it through the small washer line.

Your engine is fine.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
O it sucked up enoughh to make the oil milky. So we immedantly did a oil change and ran an extra 3 quarts of oil threw the block.

And ya suprapowz I remimber the old shade tree mechanics doing that to lol. No pics yet still trying to get all my parts togeather before I start a build tread.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles;1774517 said:
What part of the engine? Definately don't put it in the oil, and you could do much the same effect as sucking it into the intake by using water to steam clean the cylinders. Fuel system, run a decent fuel and you won't have issues...

I've never once seen a car run better after a seafoam treatment. They either ran the same, or worse. YMMV

I think JJ's writeup about covers it:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?33563-Seafoamed-the-Supra&p=455112#post455112

It's very good from removing excess cash from your pocket and not much else.

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
I've used seafoam a lot and I usually just suck it up through a line vac line that will deliver it equally to all cylinders and I let it suck it up till it starts sounding like its bogging down give it a little but never take it over 2,2.5 grand and do it in short duration otherwise you will burn up the cat

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Greyscorpion;1774720 said:
I've used seafoam a lot and I usually just suck it up through a line vac line that will deliver it equally to all cylinders and I let it suck it up till it starts sounding like its bogging down give it a little but never take it over 2,2.5 grand and do it in short duration otherwise you will burn up the cat

Why that product? What convinced you? Just wondering.

electricalbox

Nov 2, 2011
It really depends on the application and what you are expecting from it... I did DIY turbo on my miata a couple years back and I got so much oil in the intake manifold/cylinders due to a shitty turbo CHRA. That along with 120k+ of carbon build up was in there, and I a super crappy idle (also due to poor tuning). I used seafoam only in one of my vacuum lines and it did indeed clean out the system post throttle body. Later I started using distilled water/meth injection; this has exactly the same effect and in honesty worked better since it was just slight sprays sporatically vs. sucking half a bottle of seafoam in minutes.

Cliffs:

Does seafoam help? Yes it can depending on your situation, but probably not worth the money over distilled water. Also on engines with a ton of mileage I would be worries about possible damaging of the seals. I see no reason for myself to ever use it again, unless on actual marine applications as it is intended for.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
electricalbox;1775135 said:
That along with 120k+ of carbon build up was in there, and I a super crappy idle (also due to poor tuning). I used seafoam only in one of my vacuum lines and it did indeed clean out the system post throttle body. Later I started using distilled water/meth injection; this has exactly the same effect and in honesty worked better since it was just slight sprays sporatically vs. sucking half a bottle of seafoam in minutes.

I was going to say water does the same thing. I see you got there.

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
Well I have used just plain water before to steam clean engines and prefer that over sea foam but it does work if you use it in slow amounts instead of just sucking up as fast as you can. My dad showed me the water method first and I have personally pulled apart an engine that have been water treated and everything was very clean besides the mangled rod bearings after some very high reving runs through some twisty roads lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you want to spend a few dollars and don't want water in the combustion chamber, put the vacuum line in a bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner. Same principle.