Scotty's Toyota Supra MKIII

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
scotty;1434081 said:

Don't understand the question?

Are you asking if it's worth it to do a cat-back as opposed to a full exhaust?

I'd say do neither and put the money towards an engine as you'd originally planned.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
Sorry, I see it's a bit of a silly question now. What I ment was do I need a catalytic converter? And a full exhaust, is that basically just a cat-back, test-pipe and a downpipe?

About the engine plans.. that's not going to happen in a few years, as I'm a student now, and I don't have time to do it. The car is going to be a daily runner aswell.

A exhaust I can use on both NA and Turbo if it's 3". So can just aswell buy that now.

Last edited:

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
scotty;1434098 said:
Sorry, I see it's a bit of a silly question now. What I ment was do I need a catalytic converter? And a full exhaust, is that basically just a cat-back, test-pipe and a downpipe?

About the engine plans.. that's not going to happen in a few years, as I'm a student now, and I don't have time to do it. The car is going to be a daily runner aswell.

A exhaust I can use on both NA and Turbo if it's 3". So can just aswell buy that now.

Do you need a cat? That's between you and your god.
By full exhaust, I meant everything from the manifold back.
Good point on reusing the cat-back exhaust. Sounds like a good plan to me.

BTW, I built myself a 3" cat back for about $100 in materials + muffler. The muffler was almost $200. Looking back, I'd probably just buy a used setup.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
Yer.. looking on ebay and the sales category quite often for used exhausts..

I'm thinking of just buying a Pacesetter 2.5".. it's only $220-280 ... and the dollar is really cheap now aswell.
Just paint it with heat resistant paint, to don't get it to rust, and then cut of the twin tips(which are like 1-1.5" inside?) and replace with some bigger twin tips.

Last edited:

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
scotty;1434098 said:

Yes, a full exhaust goes all the way from the turbo or manifold.

You only need a cat if your law say's you do.
I will build a 3" without a cat and just install a stock cat when it's time for inspection.