sbc in a MK3...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
lowtaco;1887411 said:
I appreciate that the LS is a great design, but dollar for dollar if it was such a great design why is it that racers still build older style/technology motors.
Some people, such as my brother, choose the older technology simply because of preference for "tradition". In his case, with old cars, it makes more sense than in your case, IMO.

My ONLY point of argument in this Gen1 versus LS thing is the weight issue. Only issue as far as I'm concerned, but it really doesn't apply to your build. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
lowtaco;1887225 said:
And JZ engines are like LSx engines. Over-rated.

In other news I have finished another set of adapter mounts using the factory rubber mounts. These give 1/2" clearance under the pan and plenty of room to access the bellhousing bolts.

View attachment 62012

I don't get your reply, but I6 motors are perfectly balanced motors unlike V8's. Period. It's not an opinion.

Also, you're nuts if you think those motors are over-rated. Well, unless you're talking the 1JZ, then I'd agree with you :)

At least you made a set with proper mounts, you'd be hating life with solids I think...

lowtaco;1887263 said:
Only thing the LS engines have going for them is they have an improved runner design and 15 deg valve angle. Take a Gen 1 engine with 18 deg or less heads and it will stomp a LSx.

Nevermind the fact that to produce an old school SBC that makes the same powerband, is the same weight, and has the same reliabilty would cost you many times more than just going with an LS crate engine (or even cheaper, one from a wreck)

lowtaco;1887411 said:
I understand that the reason for building a new engines is to improve what you have or redesign to make something better. The LS engines are quite a bit better then the Gen1's. The reason I say its overated is because everyone makes it out to be the best engine going, just like the JZ series engines. Nutswingers. I appreciate that the LS is a great design, but dollar for dollar if it was such a great design why is it that racers still build older style/technology motors.

"Nutswingers" is the answer to your own question. Those are the same idiots that run super heavy weight oil...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Well I finally made alot of progress over the months and finished this bastard car.
[video=youtube;-_o7H9-j8kE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_o7H9-j8kE&list=TLYpuxaiA8R1s[/video]

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
I need to bump up the launch control RPM. I was only leaving at 3000, it can foot-brake stall to 3800. After these runs I noticed I was fuel fouling the plugs. I changed to a hotter set Autolite AR3935's, tuned the carb a bit and put 4deg more timing it. I need to go back and see if it has a better pass in it. Eventually Id like to put a plate kit on it and see what its got.

57p00rbob

Apr 4, 2012
Sacramento calif.
Hey I think its pretty cool. I chose a 2jz-ge na-t for my mk3, but what the hay you are gonna have a blast and that's what its all about in my book. Mk3s are cool I like the look better than mk4s, and with a v8 rumble? How is that not cool? Rock on bro.

57p00rbob

Apr 4, 2012
Sacramento calif.
buying a kit and making your own is probly your only option. But you fabbed the mounts etc. you should be able to pull it off, not as scary as it looks. Summit has kits that wont break the bank.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
I really dont understand putting 350s in supras, it kind of defeats the purpose of even going with a jap chassis, at the very minimum go with a LS1 or up. (because the supra is toyota's corvette and all "crowd drama noise") Being from the late 80's, these engines are not rocket science and thus falling back to the most successful but overdone engines in the history of mankind doesnt make a whole lot of sense. The whole point of having a supra is dealing with the ins and outs, plenty of other yota mills to eat up your time should the factory engines prove of no interest.

But its all relative, i wouldn't expect praise putting my 86 2jz powered camaro up on a "bleeds chevy orange" forum, for example.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
NecroCyde;1964117 said:
But its all relative, i wouldn't expect praise putting my 86 2jz powered camaro up on a "bleeds chevy orange" forum, for example.

I dont expect praise, I figured Id make a post so those that are doing the same might have a little more info. If anyone has any questions or needs measurments for the mounts just let me know. I know mid 12's isnt impressive anymore but with a bit more tuning it should be a low 12 car when Im done this year.

For the second stage of this build, a Borg Warner S480 and a blow through conversion should make things more interesting.... After all what good is a Supra without boost?