Safe to use brake cleaner on LSD?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I am going to change my diff fluid to the ford oil with the friction modifier but I want to clean out the RP synthetic first. Is it safe to spray brake cleaner in the diff? or will it mess up the LSD clutch packs?

Many Thanks!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I wouldn't worry about the small amount of fluid left in the diff when you drain it. Just let all of it come out.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I dont think brake cleaner is the best idea... maybe one of the last things I'd want inside my diff. Just drain it good and if you're really paranoid flush it with a qt of the new fluid first.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
ya im on the fence about it, i guess you could if you wanted to but its kind of futile. both of the fluid are full sythetic so it doesnt really matter. a goood drain will do you justice

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Wilcox;1914714 said:
ya im on the fence about it, i guess you could if you wanted to but its kind of futile. both of the fluid are full sythetic so it doesnt really matter. a goood drain will do you justice

The ford oil is not synthetic...thats my whole point

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
if its not synthetic then why would you swap it? conventional oil was not really designed to go in diffs...... expecially with all of the friction in a lsd. unless recomended elswhere i would just stick to full synthetic, it lasts forever

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have the stock diff on my 88 7MGTE MK3.. just went synthetic in it. Is this one of the diffs that doesn't lock with synthetic?
*the diff used to "howl" a little when not accelerating or decelerating.. that stopped with the synthetic for the most part

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Wilcox;1914762 said:
well let us know how the ford friction oil works cause i have to put new shims in my lsd here soon, so if its worth it ill try it out

It was surprisingly inexpensive...only $22 for 2 quarts and a bottle of the modifier.

I'm going to change it tonight so I will report back

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Wilcox;1914816 said:
does it work? if its never been opend to your knowledge im guessing that your shims are worn out and its no longer affective.

It worked fine...then I took it out, cleaned and painted it, reassembled the suspension and on the first test drive I heard the clunk so I started my research and came to the conclusion that I should change the diff fluid.

Again, Im not sure if the clunk was there before I started the suspension rebuild...I really stiffened the suspension and I have no interior right now so it is possible that the noise is just more noticable with these changes.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
DeMoN2318;1914831 said:
It worked fine...then I took it out, cleaned and painted it, reassembled the suspension and on the first test drive I heard the clunk so I started my research and came to the conclusion that I should change the diff fluid.

Again, Im not sure if the clunk was there before I started the suspension rebuild...I really stiffened the suspension and I have no interior right now so it is possible that the noise is just more noticable with these changes.

Thats likely it. When I took out my back seats, I could hear the fuel pump and LSD clack-clacking quite clearly. Turns out theyre actually there for sound deadening...who knew?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Orion ZyGarian;1914837 said:
Thats likely it. When I took out my back seats, I could hear the fuel pump and LSD clack-clacking quite clearly. Turns out theyre actually there for sound deadening...who knew?

Thats exactly what I think is going on the more I research. Needs a diff oil change though anyways in case I got some water through the breather while cleaning.

Thanks for everyones input