Safe to use brake cleaner on LSD?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Changed the rear diff fluid to the ford with friction modifier and it did not get rid of the clunk. I sprayed a can of brake cleaner in the housing to clean out as much of the RP synthetic as I could and then blew the housing out with compressed air to ensure the brake cleaners was fully evaporated. I used a boroscope to look inside and I did not see any damage or excessive wear on any teeth. There was only a small amount of metal (very very fine) shavings on the drain plug.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
my guess is that your spring for the shims is worn out and the mechanism is not working correctly. or it is working too well and it is sticking. does it clunk only under hard excelleration? or under braking?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Wilcox;1915690 said:
my guess is that your spring for the shims is worn out and the mechanism is not working correctly. or it is working too well and it is sticking. does it clunk only under hard excelleration? or under braking?

It only clunks when the driveline gets loaded or unloaded.

When I am stopped and put it in gear (1st or reverse) and start to let out the clutch, right when the clutch started to engage it makes a single clunk, once I am in motion it sounds fine. When I push in the clutch to change gears I get a single clunk and then when I release the clutch in the new gear I get a single clunk.

No clunking around turns...only when the drivelines load initiates or changes directions.

IF the clunk was not present before I removed the diff from the subframe, I don't see what would have changed to cause it to start clunking, thus I am concluding that the clunk is "normal" and it is just more apparent because of the lack on interior and the stiffer suspension.

What would have caused these shims to wear out or go bad?? I didnt open the diff, or drop it, or play with it...all I did was clean it and paint it before reinstalling it into the subframe

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
like some one else already mentioned the clunk is probably more noticable because of the lack of interior. and as for how you described the clunk happening it makes sense. i can write a page and you still wont completly understand how this all works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsxq9WBllU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmItXixE30 watch both of those. it will explain everything, i believe that are supra's have 2 way lsds.