Sad day for my celica :(

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Long story short, this:

jfvwqh.jpg

Driving first thing in the morning and fog/condensation on the outside of the windshield lead to me not seeing a vehicle stopped for turning left. I had cleared the windshield already with the wipers but had them on intermittent and by the time they came across again the window had a thin layer of condensation on the outside again. That combined with the morning sun directly in the window made it impossible to see.

Got the call from insurance today saying they're writing the car off . Intake manifold was smashed so it may or may not have sucked in pieces, and pretty much everything in front of the engine needed to be replaced. Makes me sad because I had just finished breaking in the engine after replacing the rings for the infamous 1ZZ oil burning and I had the car for less than a year.

So I start the hunt for another car. Sadly I doubt I'll find something as nice as the car I had for the same money, but we'll see.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
radiod;1880579 said:
So I start the hunt for another car. Sadly I doubt I'll find something as nice as the car I had for the same money, but we'll see.
Sorry to see this man. Long as you're ok, your DD can be replaced. They made about 60 million Celicas of this generation though, so if you really want another, there ya go. Miata is also another acceptable answer, as it almost always is. For the money, you could probably get yourself a nice example.

Anyway, you're ok, right? That doesn't look *too* bad, but if it was enough to bust the manifold... how you feeling? Also, was your defroster not working very well? I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but that is what its job is, to keep the window clear of frost and condensation...

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, I'm fine. It's been a week since the accident now and I've had no issues. The condensation was on the outside of the window, not the inside. I made the mistake of putting them on slow intermittent rather than low or high. As for the manifold, it's one of those silly plastic manifolds, so it doesn't take much to smash it.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Bummer man glad your okay, but I pray for something like this to happen to my 2000 GT-S, granted it’s a nice car and gets great MPG but, No A/C and it’s an auto and has about 200k miles on it I wouldn’t be upset if my insurance wrote it off...

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Most unfortunate bro, I take it yours was a TRD GT judging by the front end? There are a lot of Celicas around here, I've been looking for one from my buddy to replace his POS Hyundai elantra but its hard to find one in good shape in reasonable price around here. They're either in near mint condition and people think it is a rare sports car, or they've been beaten to piss and either the engine or transmission needs to be replaced.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I bought my 2002 GT a couple of months ago. This week, I had a similar problem. Leaving for work at 6am, and having dew all over my windows while backing out of my driveway through the privacy fence gate, I scraped up my passenger rear corner on the fence. Window was down, but the mirror was not useable. I'd probably sell it for about Kelley blue book, as I owe about that.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint;1880872 said:
Bummer man glad your okay, but I pray for something like this to happen to my 2000 GT-S, granted it’s a nice car and gets great MPG but, No A/C and it’s an auto and has about 200k miles on it I wouldn’t be upset if my insurance wrote it off...
AC just not working well on yours? Surely Wes could fix that for you... unless it didn't come with it in the first place, which I would find odd. Look on the bright side though, you live in a city of 5 million + people, something stupid is bound to happen to that car if you drive it long enough. :p

Personally, I could care less if either of my cars that I'm using lately (the Mk3 and LS400) got hit, long as the engine and radiator of the Supra survive, and the stuff underneath the LS survive. Oh, and caveat being that I also survive haha. :)