Ryan's 89 7M Twin Turbo Drifter Build

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
toy fanatic78;1212105 said:
How have you been groveling for support?You list an engine build for a magical,streetable,drag/drift/autox, 800hp,reliable 7M powered MK3 with no plans for chassis/suspension,then start a thread asking if the engine block can even handle it,IMO, it sounds like maybe you should have researched more on your engine platform first.Hell,even the people that think your build is a waste of time/money told you good luck with your build.Don't see why you would have to "dumb it down" for anybody,nobody has given you anything other than constructive criticism/information even after requests for pics and repeated questions directed towards you have gone unanswered(I.E. susp./chassis plans.)Have you even posted a pic of the car yet?
On another note,learn to take a joke,or you probably wont like to many people on here.:sarcasm: :biglaugh:

I haven't been groveling for support hence the sarcasm. I just don't understand how you can't get over the fact this is just a thread for the build of the ENGINE...thats all.

Keros posted this "Are you going to do anything for the longitudinal rigidity of the 7M? I recall a thread discussing that the 7M is a "wet noodle" at big horsepower levels."

I came up empty handed in my search for this being talked about anywhere. I started the thread to clarify this statement and to see if anybody had any interesting input.

Overall I guess you and others will have to just deal with waiting for pictures to make this mind blowing concept a reality haha. Seriously, what would a picture of a bored and surfaced block with a box of custom forged pistons sitting next to it prove. Just to make you and others happy I'll take some pictures anyway now that I know they are so precious. Should I also post the stereotypical myspace photo of myself to prove that I'm an actual living being. lol this shit really cracks me up.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
InFrnt0fU;1204969 said:
If this car and engine were yours, what suspension setup would you go with?

aphxero;1205000 said:
Did I miss the part about chassis setup. You know the things that actually matter in a drift car?

Cool motor build for power/

OneJArpus;1211850 said:
ok, suspension mods? chassis mods?

I'll be looking forward to the progress of this build

seoul4korea;1211901 said:
So ummmm where is the suspension build? I don't under stand! are you doing high power and rock'n TEMS set up!

InFrnt0fU;1212149 said:
I just don't understand how you can't get over the fact this is just a thread for the build of the ENGINE...thats all.

Overall I guess you and others will have to just deal with waiting for pictures to make this mind blowing concept a reality haha. Seriously, what would a picture of a bored and surfaced block with a box of custom forged pistons sitting next to it prove. Just to make you and others happy I'll take some pictures anyway now that I know they are so precious. Should I also post the stereotypical myspace photo of myself to prove that I'm an actual living being. lol this shit really cracks me up.

I think every one is more interested in pics of the actual car,we all know what a bare 7M motor looks like.As far as the questions on suspension/ chassis setup,we're just asking IF you had any ideas/plans on what you are gonna do there,not to see a build sheet on the matter.If you don't want the car to be a dyno queen,or just plain uncontrollable, at the power levels you are wanting out of this motor then suspension/chassis, and brakes are gonna need quite a bit of attention.Especially when this thing hits the track.
And like almost everybody has said already,good luck with the build.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
InFrnt0fU;1212149 said:
I recall a thread discussing that the 7M is a "wet noodle" at big horsepower levels."

I came up empty handed in my search for this being talked about anywhere. I started the thread to clarify this statement and to see if anybody had any interesting input.

http://www.gtepowered.com/index.php?page=html/gcurmi/profile.php
www.7mpower.com
Yeah wet noodle indeed huh? lol Whoever told you that was wrong, as Grim already told you, the block has already been tested to more power than you will be making.

Wow kid you are being a douche to be blunt and you really need to stop, you come into OUR house and talk about building a TT7M and a drift chassis, so naturally we ask for pics, and you become all defensive and rude. Which is giving us the notion that this is a fake build, AKA a fantasy in your own mind.

If you ARE building a TT7M you could post up pics of the manifold you have to run it or the turbo setup its self, YES we LOVE pics because its always nice to see something nice and/or new.

Of course you are going to be on the receiving end of some criticism and flaming because of the sheer fact that going TT on a 7M is not practical, as you could build more power on a big single.

My point is, chill out and enjoy your stay here at SM.

No matter what others say, good luck with the build.

-Dustin

Last edited:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
It's always ce to see pictures; who doesn't like sharing their progress? I love seeing what other people are doing, as words can only show so much.

Dare I say it :icon_razz: a picture is worth a thousand words.

yes I did ahahaa.
eric

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I just deleted a crapload of unneeded posts. Guys, if you're just going to nay-say, then don't post. Maybe he'll surprise the hell out of us all and show up in two years with an absolute monster and some serious skills. Wait and see. Keep the bullshit out of his thread. I'll be handing out infractions next time...

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
shaeff;1212520 said:
I just deleted a crapload of unneeded posts.

My apologies on that,I would be one of the guilty parties.

Ryan: I noticed posts about a leaking headgasket/dropping oil pressure,is this engine planned for a current daily driver?Any updates?how far along is the actual build?Also,are you still planning on the o-rings on the block,as the general consensus on that is it's not really deemed as a good idea w/the 7M block(cylinders are too close together.)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
DreamerTheresa;1212796 said:

OUR house?

WTF? Did SupraCentral give you the spare bedroom without my permission?

Just for the record, I asked for that spare bedroom months ago.........:3d_frown:

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Ryan: I noticed posts about a leaking headgasket/dropping oil pressure,is this engine planned for a current daily driver?
Probably not as it would be a bit over the top. Right now I have two partial engines. The one I spoke of before is for the engine build posted(bored .0334 over with the forged pistons). I also have a block/head with all the internals and am having both resurfaced. My builder is going to swap that with the current block/head in my car.

Any updates?how far along is the actual build?
Its been about 2 months now that I've have had HG trouble and it hasn't seemed to worsen too much. I had replaced the original stock HG about a year ago, which was my first time doing anything with a car besides changing the fluids or brakes. I guess I'm pretty surprised that it lasted as long as it did after reading how troublesome it can be if you don't resurface the head and the block. I got a good deal on a very clean head. I cleaned the block as good as I could, checked its flatness with a straight edge and everything seemed within tolerances. Now a year later I know I should have taken the time to pull the engine and do it right.

I'm looking around for a cheap OBX twin manifold to help with starting the mock up of the exhaust and turbo setup.

Also, are you still planning on the o-rings on the block,as the general consensus on that is it's not really deemed as a good idea w/the 7M block(cylinders are too close together.)
Very unlikely. There are a lot of similar strong opinions in the threads discussing this and it seems to make the most sense to use the proven method of solid prep work and go with a good MHG.

FYI Should have some pictures sometime during the first week in Jan.

Last edited:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I think your turbo choice is a little too big for what your goals are. Like already stated...a good midsized turbo would be perfect. Plus you would save a shit ton of cheese..

You don't need 800hp to drift

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
WhtMa71;1213507 said:
I think your turbo choice is a little too big for what your goals are. Like already stated...a good midsized turbo would be perfect. Plus you would save a shit ton of cheese..

You don't need 800hp to drift

I've been thinking a lot about this engine and, of course your are correct about not needing 800hp to drift, this build may be taken down a notch and built more for a daily driver.

I was thinking of picking up a local MK2 that is in good shape body/frame wise and using that for the drift car build. What do you guys think of the MK2 as a platform for a drift car?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
InFrnt0fU;1213984 said:
What do you guys think of the MK2 as a platform for a drift car?

The question is: What do YOU think of the MK2 as a platform for a drift car?

Some pearls of wisdom from me (and I'm sure that others will concur), plan a realistic, concrete build before you buy the first part. Know what you're getting into before you start. If you don't do these to crucial steps, these two things WILL happen:

• You will spend at least three times as much money than needed
  • You will not be happy with the end result.....If you do actually complete your project before you get pissed and part it out for a 1/10th of what you had spent on it

Sure, you're catching a lot of grief from people, but understand that it's coming from people that have 'been there, done that' before. There's several things that I wish I would have done differently the first time, but here I am on my third build getting my car where I want it to be and I could have done it for thousands less had my plan been a little more solid. And believe me, I plan the shit out of everything. Making sense?

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
rakkasan;1213992 said:
The question is: What do YOU think of the MK2 as a platform for a drift car?

Some pearls of wisdom from me (and I'm sure that others will concur), plan a realistic, concrete build before you buy the first part. Know what you're getting into before you start. If you don't do these to crucial steps, these two things WILL happen:

• You will spend at least three times as much money than needed
  • You will not be happy with the end result.....If you do actually complete your project before you get pissed and part it out for a 1/10th of what you had spent on it

Sure, you're catching a lot of grief from people, but understand that it's coming from people that have 'been there, done that' before. There's several things that I wish I would have done differently the first time, but here I am on my third build getting my car where I want it to be and I could have done it for thousands less had my plan been a little more solid. And believe me, I plan the shit out of everything. Making sense?

Well I know I want a badass MK3, so the engine build that is posted here will probably be altered slightly, but will still continue as planned.

I guess I got some thinking and researching to do on the MK2.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Mk3's make awesome drift cars. Just don't waste all your money on the engine. Just build an engine for like 400hp, more if the car still weighs the same as stock. Spend good money on suspension, get some more steering angle, some awesome wheels and a good seat and steering wheel. And you have a sweet drift car.

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
i agree with wiisass just go for a 350-400WHP build that is reliable, and yes it is possible for 7M's to be reliable! haha or so some of us still hope to believe that! even some of the top drivers said 300-350 for a street drift car, 400+ for the track. pretty much 350-400WHP that is reliable, tuned for a smooth powerband, and nice fast spool. the only other things i would say are true enemies for the supra in drifting is the steering angle and weight. weight reduction in the rear seemed to make a huge improvement for me.

yo wiisass, where can i order those spacers for the rack? i pm'ed but no reply.