rolling back w/ e-brake on and in gear?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
When I park on an un-level ground and put my e-brake on I roll backwards, I know I probably need to tighten that..but when im in neutral turn it off while holding the foot brake and then put it in gear it still rolls backwards in 1st or reverse with the e brake on. It does not roll forward though? Any ideas?

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
SupaMan;1320075 said:
try 4th.......

reverse isnt gonna do anything if your car is rolling backwards.

1st gear is your best bet. It is the shortest gear, followed by reverse. For a given speed, 1st gear has the greatest torque reduction from the rear wheels to the engine.

It does not matter if you are in forward or reverse, you still have to spin the engine over.

Also, it seems that you need to adjust your parking brake.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i would definitely adjust your e brake as soon as you can. mine was doing the same thing but i kept putting off fixing it and just left it in gear, then about a week ago i forgot to put it in gear and it rolled into another car in the parking lot...gay.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my ebrake cable snapped one day, so I left it in 1st, I once parked on an incline, popped my hood and noticed my fan was spinning, the damn thing was rolling away!

yeah, I got it fixed after that, definitely adjust the ebrake, and check the shoes, they might have been worn out by the previous owner...

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Check the cable. This happened to me too and the next day when i went to check it and tighten it, it was kinked right before the handle. I tried tightening it and it snapped and had to replace it and i never rolled back on a hill with the e-brake up and in gear again ;)

Last edited:

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I will check the shoes and tighten the cable tonight. The previous owner(s) probably drifted it or drove with it up, I don't use the e-brake to drift, and haven't really drifted much due to shitty tires, I'm trying to save them till I get my new ones. I just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with the tranny because it would still roll in gear.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tlo86;1320106 said:
new shoes? :D

begay.gif