rod knock, how long will an engine last?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
on average? just incase i need to drive my car before i can fix it? if it breaks i have another car with a good engine i can swap over. just curious as to wether i can use it still till i get time off to fix it properly

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Same experience here. Might kill it quickly, or very slowly. Driving on the rod knock also increases the chances that the components of the knocking engine will be even more useless. Not sure if your plans include using that knocking engine as a core for a rebuild, just something to keep in mind.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
use lucas it will help a little if you have to drive it but the best choice is not to drive it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A Qt or 2 over full of thick Oil is going to help and try NOT to drive it at the knocking speed.

I knocked my old NA on the return leg of an 1800 Km round trip and made it home doing the above no probs at all.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
GrimJack;1156159 said:
Entirely too variable to call. I've seen rod knock destroy a rod and put a hole in the block in under 50 miles, and I've seen cars drive thousands of miles without any extra damage.

its too hard ot tell try to limit the driving as much as possible and tear down and rebuild

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
How bout ,dont drive it, & save your block from the big ass hole your about to put in it .

I got 1 mile down the street & finished ith mains off
best just to not even start it
....Just my opinion....

SilverBullet05

Project Paper Weight
Jul 9, 2008
Iowa
all knocks are dif min blew up within 10 miles of when i noticed it sounded like a prop plane goin down the road (atleast thats what the cop said)

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
dam pookwik.

my first N/A supra developed rod knock right before i was gonna buy it and driving it 38 miles after that, the rod busted through the block at 65mph. whole car died.

try not to drive it so much

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Your motors still good, it just needs a rebuild. Put a rod thru the block and its all done. Driving it jsut isnt smart.
I had a bad rod knock in an accord, it sat for a bit, then I tried to move it across the driveway to where I was gonna work on it, and spent the next half hour cleaning chunks of block and rod off my driveway.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
WEll as been said it depends.

I got Rod Knock at 225k miles back in 2004. Unfortunatly for the timing, the day it happened was my final exam from the University before graduating, it was either miss that or the engine would be toast. Sorry 7m, you served well but at last, your last mission is to get me to school.

So with the oil pressure needle buried at a nice fat ZERO, i continued to drive at 35 mph, with no hard accelerations etc. 15 miles later and I get to school and the 7m did it's job so I was expecting one dead, seized motor after school. Finished Finals. Passed (after 4 1/2 years that day I was OFFICIALLY DONE!). Went to the Supra and said what the hell let see if this thing is seized.

Well to my amazement, the car turned over, took a bit more than usual to start but it started, of course the sound of the sledgehammer to the block is unerving but I could not leave the car where it was parked... so another 15 mile trek back to my house with the sledge hammer noise sounding resiliently! Keep in mind, still ZERO oil pressure through out this ordeal.

35 mph tops. No high revs etc.

Got the car home, temp ok, oil psi still nill. So another motor is deader than dead by the AM. Next morning. The 7m started fine save for the rod knock. AGAIN.

so that why I always say that who ever thinks the 7m is crap better think again. Not to many motors do well with zero oil pressure for 30 miles under driving conditions ;)

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
when i bought a cressida, i didnt know that it was running on 5 cylinders since one of the rods completely snapped and was mangled inside the oil pan.. still managed to make it up the bed of a wrecker with flat tires and all, but had oil flowing down from somewhere along the block..

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
I drove my gte for about 6months on a light seeking rod and it never blew before I parked it. Still remember the day it happend, cruising down the highway at 70mph. I always watch the guages and watched the damn oil pump fail and I saw it go to 0psi for a couple of seconds and lo and behold. "wtf, when did it turn into a diesel?"
It wouldn't knock under boost at first but when it did I decided to park it and save the block.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
IJ.;1156289 said:
A Qt or 2 over full of thick Oil is going to help and try NOT to drive it at the knocking speed.

I knocked my old NA on the return leg of an 1800 Km round trip and made it home doing the above no probs at all.

Agree and use the thickest oil you can find, I ran an opel Kadett for a long time on a rockin nod