Road Racing MKIII?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
mdr40z said:
You're gonna find many cars that are funner at the track, cost less to maintain, etc. Try racing it stock first and you'll see, no amount of money is going to turn it into what you are hoping for, it's a heavy luxo barge

say that to steve A or gsc :nono:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
DonS1mpson said:
Insurance is a little different here. I'm looking at spending at about $8000 a year to insure my supra at 17 as a first car.

I'm willing to drop a grand or two into this car over the next couple of months. It's not going to be a total budget affair, but at the same time I don't have enough cash to go full house on everything.
Just do what cuel, me and others have said, try it the way it is, I'd check out everything, change out the pads and anything else you can afford to start with and learn with it the way it is. Brakes, springs and struts are a good place to start. Then do things as you go.

You could run anything you want to learn, pickup, van, and yes the Supe-boat. You will gain alot by taking it slow and learning from others. You might even suprise yourself finding out that the supra can keep up with alot of other cars if you learn.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
DonS1mpson said:
Sorry, but I don't tend to follow the advice of people who sell spark plugs for a living. Sorry. :(

Please tell me what you do that is so great?

You also realize that i might "sell spark plugs for a living" but when you bad mouth me, you bad mouth every vendor on this site who make a living custom making products for your rusted out Supra? Do you feel that same sentiment you do twords me, as you do BigAaron, 935 or ARZ? It sure sounds like it.

Newsflash:
You own a 400 dollar car and can bairly afford to keep it and you sure as hell can't afford to insure it, so your thinking of taking it off the streets so you can autocross/road race it.

Can you see your flawed logic?

Last edited:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Ckanderson said:
Please tell me what you do that is so great?

You also realize that i might "sell spark plugs for a living" but when you bad mouth me, you bad mouth every vendor on this site who make a living custom making products for your rusted out Supra? Do you feel that same sentiment you do twords me, as you do BigAaron, 935 or ARZ? It sure sounds like it.

Newsflash:
You own a 400 dollar car and can bairly afford to keep it and you sure as hell can't afford to insure it, so your thinking of taking it off the streets so you can autocross/road race it.

Can you see your flawed logic?

There are a couple of differences between those guys and you. One being that they actually show a little bit of entrepreneurship, went out and started business doing what they love to do. That's Respectable. Sitting around shifting boxes of spark plugs all day making someone else rich isn't respectable. Another thing that separates them from the likes of you that they are petty enough to go dragging shit over from SF.

Smarten up and listen to what IJ and told you so many god damn time. What happened on SF, stays on SF . Back the fuck off , because I'm not going anywhere mate.

And You know It's funny you since you know jack shit about the state of me getting insurance or my finances as a whole. Whilst I could if theory spring the $700 or so dollars a month on insurance to have the privilege of driving my car, but I'll choose not to because...
1) Supras don't make the best daily's ever.
2) Supras don't make the best First Cars ever.
3) I don't exactly see why I should have to 4x times what kids usually pay on insurance for the privilege
4) It's probably the worst investment ever. Even my supra was totaled, chances are I wouldn't get half my money back.

Oh, and please don't try to use "You paid $400 for your car" argument. If you knew anything about how markets work, you'd know that trying to compare one country's used car prices to another country's used car prices is a fucking retarded thing to do. Then again, you do work in a parts store...

Now please, if you came here to offer some real advice, shoot. If not. Fuck off.

Good Luck.

BorHor said:
Werd.. Have you added in the cost of the acual track days? Plus gas to get there and extra tires?

Not really that much of a problem. I understand It's not a cheap hobby, but then again none of them are. I may be trying to do this project on a budget, but I'm by no means flat broke.

Last edited:

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i'd track the car every chance i could get ,if i couldn't afford to insure it lol just hav fun with your car man,the only real upgrade i would do is get a "proper gear box" better brakes and decent tires everything else you can live with out and still have great time. just wondering why is it going to cost you 8000 pounds a year to insure a your car bad driving record?

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
You need to fix the thing before you even attempt to track it!! The crank pully still loose?????????????????????? have you sorted the rust??????? etc

i Have been doing track days for a while in my MG the fees vary between $100 and $450 for a day without fuel etc let alone getting there,I trailer the car normally as 15mpg and 200 miles round trips = expsenive day more so if it breaks and the recovery company will not come out as you have been involved in motorsport!!!

You don't have a driving license spend the cash and get one!!!!!!!!!!!:sarcasm:

so you cant do track days As you must have a full uk license and mot etc these must be produced before you sign on!!!!!! Unless you find company that allow trailer queens and then you will be shown up as the real quick cars will be out!!!!! Who will tow it for you and with what????? you need a 3t trailer and at least a Shogun or Jeep these things are bloody heavy,
I have done silverstone GP circuit in a caterham and I thought i was quick until the instrutor(He racings them) took me out we where flat in 4th on some bends !!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
themadhatter said:
i'd track the car every chance i could get ,if i couldn't afford to insure it lol just hav fun with your car man,the only real upgrade i would do is get a "proper gear box" better brakes and decent tires everything else you can live with out and still have great time. just wondering why is it going to cost you 8000 pounds a year to insure a your car bad driving record?

The cheapest quote I've got was for £4000. Insurance here is never cheap for new drivers, particularly when you're male live in south London and want to insure a car like a supra. Anything short of 1.3 liter European shitbox is going to be a pain in ass with the insurance.

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
DonS1mpson said:
The cheapest quote I've got was for £4000. Insurance here is never cheap for new drivers, particularly when you're male live in south London and want to insure a car like a supra. Anything short of 1.3 liter European shitbox is going to be a pain in ass with the insurance.

Well buy one insure it for a year then insure the supra IF you get away without an accident claim or theft claim you will be in a better position to insure the supra, And most importantly a year older!!!! And hopefully wiser,

I am not having a personal go at you BUT you need to get thing done in the correct order!!! License first then mot insurance tax,

If you can't afford to insure the supra yet buy I euro shite box and run it for a year better yet BUY A CLASSIC car cheaper insurance !!! alot are tax exempt!! and they have street cred to look for a jap retro car You might laugh but most run on unleaded and are low insurance groups.

Ok my first car was a datsun 280zx but that was 18 years ago!!!!! and it cost $300 to insure and was one hell of a quick car,

BUt now I would look for a late 60's or early 70's classic car
if its was a 70's car it would have to be a jap car!!!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
martin p said:
You need to fix the thing before you even attempt to track it!! The crank pully still loose?????????????????????? have you sorted the rust??????? etc

i Have been doing track days for a while in my MG the fees vary between $100 and $450 for a day without fuel etc let alone getting there,I trailer the car normally as 15mpg and 200 miles round trips = expsenive day more so if it breaks and the recovery company will not come out as you have been involved in motorsport!!!

You don't have a driving license spend the cash and get one!!!!!!!!!!!:sarcasm:

so you cant do track days As you must have a full uk license and mot etc these must be produced before you sign on!!!!!! Unless you find company that allow trailer queens and then you will be shown up as the real quick cars will be out!!!!! Who will tow it for you and with what????? you need a 3t trailer and at least a Shogun or Jeep these things are bloody heavy,
I have done silverstone GP circuit in a caterham and I thought i was quick until the instrutor(He racings them) took me out we where flat in 4th on some bends !!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there. I'm going to get the crank pulley sorted tomorrow, picking up the part from the dealer's tomorrow, and will probably have a look at fitting it next week sometime. As for the rust, the car got through an MOT with the car as It was before the crank pulley problem any problems, didn't figure sorting the rust was a priority. Like I said in that thread on the UK site, I can have it fiberglassed cheaply if need be.

As for the license thing, I'm still 16 mate , and have got a couple of months to wait till my 17th. I've found a couple of places willing to let me have a run, there not proper tracks per say, but should be enough to teach me the basis of car control and what have you. At least until I turn 17.

Towing I haven't thought of in too much detail, but shogun insurance prices don't seem to be too unreasonable.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to give this plan a little more thought. :nono:

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
DonS1mpson said:
Hey there. I'm going to get the crank pulley sorted tomorrow, picking up the part from the . As for the rust, the car got through an MOT with the car as It was before the crank pulley problem any problems, didn't figure sorting the rust was a priority. Like I said in that thread on the UK site, I can have it fiberglassed cheaply if need be.

As for the license thing, I'm still 16 mate , and have got a couple of months to wait till my 17th. I've found a couple of places willing to let me have a run,

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to give this plan a little more thought. :nono:

If they don't like the look of the car then you will not get onto the track its all to do with safety these days. Also have a look around for A mk1 golf or you might laugh a pug 106/205 etc they are cheap and fun to drive on the track, but for the most fun try a mini not the newer ones look for a late 70 early 80's one ideally a 1275 but a 1000cc will do they can be made to rev to over 7000 rpms And on track are very good I have seen minis enter corners 5 across all fighting for track position and all 5 get through

Regarding towing you will need a safe storage space for the trailer as they are hot property for theives!!!!!! a decent trailer will cost you about a grand!!!!!! A pajero even in short wheel base is the same for a tidy usable one.

Best of luck if thats the way you want to go, Put the car on a heavy weight loss program!!! the bumper re-inforcements weigh a TON I have had both off recently!!! the seats are very heavy, stripp the thing and then remove all the unlderseal/sound deadening etc cruise abs fog lights bin every thing in the doors except the door locks and handles then using a hole saw drill out as much of the inner frames as you can!!! seen this done looks of times to great effect!

Last edited:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
martin p said:
If they don't like the look of the car then you will not get onto the track its all to do with safety these days. Also have a look around for A mk1 golf or you might laugh a pug 106/205 etc they are cheap and fun to drive on the track, but for the most fun try a mini not the newer ones look for a late 70 early 80's one ideally a 1275 but a 1000cc will do they can be made to rev to over 7000 rpms And on track are very good I have seen minis enter corners 5 across all fighting for track position and all 5 get through

Regarding towing you will need a safe storage space for the trailer as they are hot property for theives!!!!!! a decent trailer will cost you about a grand!!!!!! A pajero even in short wheel base is the same for a tidy usable one.

Best of luck if thats the way you want to go, Put the car on a heavy weight loss program!!! the bumper re-inforcements weigh a TON I have had both off recently!!! the seats are very heavy, stripp the thing and then remove all the unlderseal/sound deadening etc cruise abs fog lights bin every thing in the doors except the door locks and handles then using a hole saw drill out as much of the inner frames as you can!!! seen this done looks of times to great effect!

I've been looking at picking up a MX-5 (Miata) to be quite honest. The quotes I've gotten back for them were surprisingly reasonable, but if I do go with this track car idea, like you said I'll have to get myself something capable of towing. Not too sure what kind of tow cars they make, but I could have an E34 BMW or a a generic 4X4, thankfully insurance isn't too high.

Thanks for the advice, I'm starting to have second thoughts now, heh.

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Yep mx-5 is a very good car!!! easy to mod too.
it has adjustable suspension as std( set-up not coilsshocks etc) lower it an 1" add some negative camber to the front 2-4 degrees than adjust to suit your style, sticky tyres, don't go over stock wheel size!!!
E34 can be very thirsty when towing you really want a oil burner, what a bout a transit van??? you can run them on veg oil mixed with derv!!!!!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
martin p said:
Yep mx-5 is a very good car!!! easy to mod too.
it has adjustable suspension as std( set-up not coilsshocks etc) lower it an 1" add some negative camber to the front 2-4 degrees than adjust to suit your style, sticky tyres, don't go over stock wheel size!!!
E34 can be very thirsty when towing you really want a oil burner, what a bout a transit van??? you can run them on veg oil mixed with derv!!!!!

Couldn't go with something like Transit van I'm afraid. If I went down the tow car route, It would have to be able to use it as a daily (can't justify having 3 cars all for myself), and I just don't see it being the best of first cars.

Last edited:

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
lol always pick up a lotus, tvr, or astin marten lol if you really want a sports car you can drive every day a miata is a good choice have you thought about maybe a 2nd gen supra?

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
gen 2 supras are rare in the uk as most have rust away or are doing a very good impression of a swiss cheese!!! The good ones fetch quite a bit of $$$ these days, but a good call, staying with toyota theme what about a mr2 or celica???

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
themadhatter said:
lol always pick up a lotus, tvr, or astin marten lol if you really want a sports car you can drive every day a miata is a good choice have you thought about maybe a 2nd gen supra?

2nd gens are still retardedly expensive to insure I'm afraid, so is everything else remotely sporty with a engine with a displacement bigger than 2000cc.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
themadhatter said:
i know what you need get ready.............mk1 mr2 its perfect small fun to drive 1.6 4age or
4agze

I was thinking about a MR2, but a friend I have said that he's had both and thinks the miata is the better car. He's able to lap the nurburgring in 8:44 with traffic in an almost stock MK1 Miata, so I take his opinion very seriously.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
the miata is the better car but i know at least here in the us you can find a mk1 mr2 for a lot less then even a 1st gen mitia and with the extra $$ upgrade lol