Road Racing MKIII?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
With my last effort at getting the Supra insured under my name ready for next year, I’m beginning to run out of reason to own a supra. I’m just too young to get insured on one :(

I’ve been toying with the idea of a MKIII track car for quite a while now, and with a decent enough base car with no use for it, I was wondering just how feasible the Idea could be.

Not planning on competing or anything of the sort, just a car that I can occasionally take to the track and have a bit of fun.

I’m working with a 1988 NA Auto, so not too sure what would be the best route to take engine/transmission wise. NA MKIV engine + gearbox run for a couple of hundred dollars and I’ve been told it’s not a terribly difficult swap, maybe it would make sense to go 2JZ, I do have dreams of a NA-T monster in the not to distant future…

Weight wise, gut the interior, but make sure whatever work I do can be reserved by purchasing a parts when it comes to putting the car back on the road. I would want to daily this car someday

Suspension and brakes is what worries me the most. Not sure how the stock suspension will react to the circuit, but the budget can’t stretch to coilovers, at least not right away.. What will the stock suspension be like on the circuit – I assume too soft and sloppy?
I’ve found the brakes to be shocking on MKIIIs, will a set of uprated pads be enough stopping power? Again, I’m on a limited budget.

Is there any particular reason why you don’t see our cars at the track too often? (other than weight of course). I hear all the time about the MKIII’s drag racing success, and a few people are using MKIIIs for drifting, just haven’t heard about them breaking into road racing. Yet.

Any comments?

51Cards

Back again...
Sep 5, 2007
Whitby
www.autosoftsys.com
Only have a moment for a quick reply so I'll touch on only one part...

I tracked my MKIII a few times when it was bone stock. The kicker was the brakes every time. A warm up lap... a hot lap... maybe 2... and they were baked and I had to start backing off on my entry points. Now I never did try some of the newer pad options. I had Axxis Metalmasters I think they were called on stock new rotors in front, and stock stuff out back. I didn't expect it to brake like a champion but I was pretty shocked at how quickly they went away.

Think about brakes a lot... you have a lot of mass there. Maybe someone else can weigh in with what upgraded (slotted?) rotors and other pads did for them. I changed to a big brake kit.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I road race my supra. Just make sure you do full suspension. With out it the supra sucks balls. If you don't have the money get a lower cost platform. Supra's cost to do anything.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
BorHor said:
I road race my supra. Just make sure you do full suspension. With out it the supra sucks balls. If you don't have the money get a lower cost platform. Supra's cost to do anything.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Would shocks and springs do, or am I looking at a set of coilovers?

I see that you're running a N/A 7M, what's it like out on the track?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Make sure you get good shocks and stiff springs. On the track you are going to get your ass kicked by every other car. But it is still fun. NA supras are slow pieces of shit but lots of fun.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
For brakes, you don't have to opt for a BBK. Even with just upgraded rotors, pads and good brake fluid, your braking can be improved dramatically. Just make sure you get good rotors, good pads, and change your brake fluid before going to the track, you'll notice a big difference between these and the brakes your probably using right now.

For suspension, if you don't have the money, try getting a good spring-shock combo if you can. If you don't have the money for those, then try looking around for used ones in good condition, as they can be had for a good bargain.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
BorHor said:
Make sure you get good shocks and stiff springs. On the track you are going to get your ass kicked by every other car. But it is still fun. NA supras are slow pieces of shit but lots of fun.

Heh, try driving something that weighs not much less than a MK3, but puts out a whopping 95 BHP. Only then will you know the true meaning of slow. :icon_lol:

Is it worth going for a set of megan coilovers instead of a spring and shock combo? If the difference is drastic I'll go for the coilys.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I would say coilovers are worth it. Springs and shocks are good too if you really cant afford the coils. Make sure you have god tires too. As for brakes yeah upgrade lol. My first track day I ran on stockers tough and they survived. Also upgrade swaybars when you can. that is going to be pricey like $600 total but worth it.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
BorHor said:
I would say coilovers are worth it. Springs and shocks are good too if you really cant afford the coils. Make sure you have god tires too. As for brakes yeah upgrade lol. My first track day I ran on stockers tough and they survived. Also upgrade swaybars when you can. that is going to be pricey like $600 total but worth it.

Where do we get these "god" tires you speak of?:naughty:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I've had mine on the track a few times. Just do the things like a set of Eibachs and struts, front strut brace. Brakes like they said are the downfall, I can't afford a BBKit, so I put some new rotors on, slotted help and a good set of pads. Helps quite a bit. As far as not keeping up with a lot of cars, wasn't really the case with me. If you learn the "ropes" you can out drive a lot of those guys that are faster, stop better and are lighter. Then start with better upgrades. A lot of fun to be able to drive your car as far as you and your cars limitations on a track and safer.

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
i trying to build my A70 for road race also. and, since my engine is running realy strong right now i'm just concentraiting on suspension. i would like to up grade every suspension component thats possible. whats the complete list of performance suspension components for our cars anyway?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Coilovers
sway bars
swaybar end links
ALL the bushings
tie rods
rear traction arms
rear camber arms - maybe
I know there are more. That is just the main ones.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
don't build the car to race, race then build the car...

I've seen people put EVERYTHING on cars and go out there and be slow as balls when a stock version of their car is running laps around them. Learning how to drive in a slower car will help a LOT...

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Not worth tracking an supra (unless you have a good budget) when there are so many other lighter cars for the same sort of money. If you want a fun track car buy a BMW E30 strip it and drop in the lump out of a 535 you will have more power than the N/A mk3 and be about 400 kg lighter.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Ckanderson said:
Just sell it.........

PLEASE

Sorry, but I don't tend to follow the advice of people who sell spark plugs for a living. Sorry. :(

I do like poodles Idea of tracking the car more or less as it is. I'd still to see exactly what I'm doing engine/transmission wise. I need at least a 5sp in there. Which motor would be more suited to the track?

I know that there are a lot better platforms to start off with, and the idea of a stripped E30/E34 has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I've already got the supra, and I desperately want to use it. I see this idea to satiety my need for speed, and my love of supras.

Last edited:

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Ckanderson said:
Just sell it.........

PLEASE

You're gonna find many cars that are funner at the track, cost less to maintain, etc. Try racing it stock first and you'll see, no amount of money is going to turn it into what you are hoping for, it's a heavy luxo barge

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
you dont have money to insure it, but you want to build it into a race car? if you want to race just to have fun, throw some good quality pads on there and be done with it.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
dbsupra90 said:
you dont have money to insure it, but you want to build it into a race car? if you want to race just to have fun, throw some good quality pads on there and be done with it.

Insurance is a little different here. I'm looking at spending at about $8000 a year to insure my supra at 17 as a first car.

I'm willing to drop a grand or two into this car over the next couple of months. It's not going to be a total budget affair, but at the same time I don't have enough cash to go full house on everything.