Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Motor: 2jzgte
Tranny: R154
Clutch: Spec Stage 3
Flywheel: Brand new toyota
Clutch master: Brand new toyota
Clutch slave: Brand new toyota

Having an issue where my clutch engages/disengages right at the top of the pedal (top meaning furthest away from the floor). I tried adjusting as per the TSRM to try and get it closer to the floor (preferably towards the middle) but there isn't enough adjustment in the rod to make it happen. Honestly, adjusting the rod length doesn't seem to do much. I did this on an OEM clutch way back and was able to adjust engage/release successfully, so I'm definitely doing it right.

The clutch has a little over a 1k miles on it, and I drove it pretty conservatively the first 500 miles or so. Afterwards I beat on it a bit and it didn't seem to slip. The engage/release has actually gotten higher since installing. Upon initial install it would bite probably 75% up from the floor, and right now it bites at probably 95%. At this point I'm thinking it might be a bad clutch (pressure plate). I can't drive it like this, especially coming from my daily it drives me insane.

Anyone have this issue? How did you remedy? Other thoughts? Secondary question, is your clutch pedal adjusted equal, lower or higher than your brake pedal?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm in the same boat as you. Stock Aisin PP, Spec 6 puck sprung disc. Release point is getting higher. Not quite to the top just yet, but getting there. I haven't tried adjusting it yet. I have about 8000 miles on this set up.

Oh, I have 7m though.

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Same issue here... I haven't tried fixing it, have more pressing concerns at the moment...

Mr. Joe

May 9, 2012
Seattle, Wa
On my 7m, the clutch release point was just about at the top of the pedal stroke for the whole time I owned the car (about a year). I tried adjusting the free play with the rod but it didn't help. Then one day the slave cylinder gave out. I replaced the slave with an Aisin brand cylinder from Rock Auto and that solved my high release point problem. This might not be your issue as your slave cylinder is brand new but I just though I might share.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I actually tried shortening the slave cylinder rod to see if that would help. Logic was that the pressure plate was supersensitive and shortening the slave rod would require more pressure (longer pedal travel) to remove friction from the clutch. Needless to say I got to the point where the test rod was half the length of the original and it didnt resolve the issue.

From my rudimentary understanding it would seem like either the hydraulics are putting out too much pressure too early... or the pressure plate is too sensitive.

Hopefully someone can chime in with a fix.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Probably a dumb question but have you tried bleeding it again? I've yet to have this problem on any of my cars so I don't have any particular advice other than maybe there's some some air or water taking up some real estate in the lines.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I've bled the hell out of the clutch.

Actually just gave spec a call and was told the clutch will typically start off high and settle back down into the stock range. However it seems to be the opposite for me. Since the car sat for a while they told me to put some mileage on it, and if it doesn't improve, to remove and take pictures/measure. Not particularly excited about that idea.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
We changed the pedal ratio in my car to fix this by moving the point at which it pushed. This also made the car more drivable

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
525gte;2005577 said:
We changed the pedal ratio in my car to fix this by moving the point at which it pushed. This also made the car more drivable

Can you please be a little bit more specific about how you accomplished this?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Well his car is a bmw so a little different.

Never had this problem either. It's the clutch freeplay adjusted properly? Should be about an inch.