Ridiculous 1000HP 7M Street MK3 Build

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
The 5m oil pump gear does fit with the spacer. The teeth are identical. Toyotanos is running one without a problem.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
NegativeGeForce;1996061 said:
The 5m oil pump gear does fit with the spacer. The teeth are identical. Toyotanos is running one without a problem.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

GOODYEAR Part # 40074 Width: 1.0"; Length: 53.250"; Teeth: 142 83 ceilca supra
GOODYEAR Part # 40101 Width: 1.0"; Length: 53.250"; Teeth: 169 84 celica supra

It's different because I have tried it along ago when I had belt for a 84 and wanted to put it on my 83 motor the cogs were not the right size? why did they change I don't know.

is it the just 6m ones that changed the gear or 84 ketp the multy holes bean so long and google is not finding much

big question is why did they change it it a lighter one highly dought they cared about gas mileage

Last edited:

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
Lol I'm scared to say a big debate topic so don't let this roll one, I've heard hard breakins right out of the box. do you have an idea or plan for one?
I had the pump/same crossover.. I deleted my squirters and didn't regret it.
I've never researched that oil before.. 15w-50 sounded soo bad until i saw synthetic.. that sounds like a great combination actually.. what drew you towards that oil?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It's doable, but you have to find the correct pulley. I was lucky and got one from Rabid Chimp Performance before he closed down his operation. It could probably be used as-is, but the T-belt is a bit close to the edge for me to feel safe, so I machined a 1/8" spacer to get it more in line with where the original one was.

Some 5M engines have square t-belt teeth, some have round like the 7M. IIRC, its 85 and 86 only (maybe 6M's?).

IJ. said:
99 times out of a 100 it's because someone has used something sharp edged to jam a spoke so they can undo it and the mark left has created a stress riser...
But Ian's probably right- mine was likely nicked somewhere and I just missed it. Either way it's good to go as I used the old belt vs the cams to torque the new one so no damage to this one!

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
For old school hone jobs that use stones you should always try to break it in hard and over a longer period of time because the hones are rough and so the rings have to work hard to smooth out those peaks. My machine shop (Engine lab) used diamond stones and cleaned the hone up with plateau brushes which results in a smoother bore that seat the rings quickly much like OEM's do today. Not sure if I want to flog it right away on such an expensive engine because I want to catch something early if anything goes wrong but I will do a few quick pulls after I change the breakin oil.

The reason I choose the 15w-50 Amsoil race oil is because ALL GF-4 oils are garbage and because its hot here in FL (almost every oil on the store shelves in the stores are GF-4). GF-4 spec is a watered down oil to meet emissions specifications so it doesn't provide as good film strength as the race oils with high zinc and phosphates. Race oils destroy emissions equipment and need to be changed more frequently but Amsoil race oil is good enough for regular change intervals. My car wont have any emissions so that's what i'll be using. Here is an article explaining it better http://store.forcedperformance.net/...Performance Recommendations for Motor Oil.pdf

Here is an interesting answer in the amsoil FAQ about the dominator oil:

Why isn’t AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic Racing Oil recommended for street-driven vehicles?
Answer: AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil is a premium-quality oil formulated for maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. It is fortified with high levels of zinc and phosphorus, which are incompatible with catalytic converters common in today’s street-driven vehicles; therefore, Dominator Racing Oil does not carry API service classifications required by many standard passenger vehicles. However, Dominator Racing Oil is the ideal recommendation for street rods, muscle cars and other high-performance vehicles driven on the street.

Edit: Ah - steve beat me to the comparison pic! Yeah I found the same gear on ebay. I am sure Ryan is probably right and there's only 1 or 2 years they made these gears on the 5m.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Part number for the gear if anyone is interested: 1352443020

Not sure if its available anymore, but there's plenty of mkii's I saw in junkyards.

i0uy.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
The stock one will do fine just make sure there no burs like I listed or trouble will happen this is not a common issue

lighter pully means better for the oil drive pump shaft

quake has been running stock for ever his was not shitty muchined like I listed

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
NegativeGeForce;1996201 said:
For old school hone jobs that use stones you should always try to break it in hard and over a longer period of time because the hones are rough and so the rings have to work hard to smooth out those peaks. My machine shop (Engine lab) used diamond stones and cleaned the hone up with plateau brushes which results in a smoother bore that seat the rings quickly much like OEM's do today. Not sure if I want to flog it right away on such an expensive engine because I want to catch something early if anything goes wrong but I will do a few quick pulls after I change the breakin oil.

The reason I choose the 15w-50 Amsoil race oil is because ALL GF-4 oils are garbage and because its hot here in FL (almost every oil on the store shelves in the stores are GF-4). GF-4 spec is a watered down oil to meet emissions specifications so it doesn't provide as good film strength as the race oils with high zinc and phosphates. Race oils destroy emissions equipment and need to be changed more frequently but Amsoil race oil is good enough for regular change intervals. My car wont have any emissions so that's what i'll be using. Here is an article explaining it better http://store.forcedperformance.net/...Performance Recommendations for Motor Oil.pdf

Here is an interesting answer in the amsoil FAQ about the dominator oil:

Why isn’t AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic Racing Oil recommended for street-driven vehicles?
Answer: AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil is a premium-quality oil formulated for maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. It is fortified with high levels of zinc and phosphorus, which are incompatible with catalytic converters common in today’s street-driven vehicles; therefore, Dominator Racing Oil does not carry API service classifications required by many standard passenger vehicles. However, Dominator Racing Oil is the ideal recommendation for street rods, muscle cars and other high-performance vehicles driven on the street.

Edit: Ah - steve beat me to the comparison pic! Yeah I found the same gear on ebay. I am sure Ryan is probably right and there's only 1 or 2 years they made these gears on the 5m.
Thanks for the info.. some of my friends Run Royal purple. My teacher ran Amsoil synthetic race oil..I used to do oil research and just ended when i got into one arm bandit, falex test and someone on one of the forums used to send his oil samples in every couple of oil changes for recommendations.. he posted some of his findings.. think its on supraforums..
It also dosen't get as hot here in oklahoma as humid as FL does.. normally..

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I am not sure how easy a billet pulley is to make. The D shape collar would need some kinda of broaching process. The 5M pulley is more than enough.

Race oils are awesome but just have to be careful as most of them do not have any detergent additives.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Slowly moving along. My ring gaps:

TOP: 0.020"
2ND: 0.022"
OIL: 0.020"

Bad news is the exhaust valve hits the bottom of the piston valve pocket but somehow the intake valve is gonna clear by .023" with a 2mm head gasket. Its going to be an interference engine :(

g388.jpg

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Pulley wouldn't be difficult but would probably be pricey. Could start with round stock, mill the D shape in, rough in the teeth with a drill, throw it in a lathe to get it roughly to size, maybe finish it like that or send it out to get hardened and EDM finish the teeth in. Can't really see it needing to get hardened but then again I can't see why you'd need a billet pulley for this either lol.

Build is looking sweet man. Nice to see people still building crazy cars.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
NegativeGeForce;1997175 said:
Bad news is the exhaust valve hits the bottom of the piston valve pocket but somehow the intake valve is gonna clear by .023" with a 2mm head gasket. Its going to be an interference engine :(

Hum :-(

Can you please recall us with your setup? Valve size, cam lift, head/block lapped height, pistons, etc..

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
1mm oversized valves, brian crower stage 3 cams (8.68mm lift), pistons are off the shelf JE asymmetrical pistons with crown and skirt coatings. Head was machined a lot (.015" or around 0.40 mm) and block was machined 0.002" or 0.05mm.

I'm just really surprised the intake valves cleared but the exhaust valve hits. There could still be a chance the exhaust valve clears with the 2mm headgasket. I clayed with a 1.5mm gasket.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
That's surprising my piston stick up .029 from deck and with a 2mm headgasket I still have clearance the cam is 9.50 mm of lift so I have valve to valve interface. Remember your piston is chasing your exhaust valve so at 10,000 rpm proper clearance is critical. Have you figured out your compression ratio?