ridding afm some how

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
What was that device called that gets rid of the afm unit? Was it safr or something? Or avc-r? I want to know, cause I was thinking about getting a turbo kit with a large intake, and the afm is too small.
eric

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the two things you mentioned are tuning devices. maybe you're thinking of the MAFT? (GM Mass Air Flow and MAFT=Mass Air Flow Translator) you could use a 3.5" MAF, which is pretty big.

or you could use a Lexus AFM... people make big power with those. - you'll need supporting mods.

Edit: jon beat me. you could use what he mentioned too.. :)

-shaeff

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Is it plug and play? Or do I need some sort of electronic tuning device to properly read the MAFT. I think i'd need a 3.5 or 4 incher. I was looking into the hpf turbo kit they just put out is why, and it has a 4 inch intake i believe.
eric

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
MAFT is plug and play. You need the MAFT - it's from Full Throttle Motorsports, here:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com

And a GM MAF sensor, by the sounds of things, the bigger the better. The number of places you can pick those up are almost limitless.

Gets rid of the intake restriction of the AFM, allows fuel tuning, uses a faster air metering device, and allows you any size injectors from smaller than stock all the way to 1020cc. And it will work in blow through mode if you wish, as in, you can run it post turbo instead of pre-turbo.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Ok, draw through mode is where you just put the GM MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) for the MAF-T in the same place as the stock afm.

Blow through mode is where you put after the turbo. For instance, you stick the GM MAS in the piping right before the 3000 pipe. When you do this, you can run your run a blow off valve and not get any stutter from a temporary rich condition created when you would normally blow off with the traditional afm or karman vortex meter. Plus, the cool factor is way up there. :)

SupraMkiii24

90T in the works
Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Tx.
does any MAFT work or do you need to buy the $200 one from the website provided? I know they make them and have all kinds of wires blah blah blah but if you need to splic the damn things anyways cant you grab anyone of the MAFT units?

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
One of the reasons you want an MAF-T for our cars specifically is because of the tuning points. I know there are other reasons, but I'm having a brain fart right now.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah... i plan on making my next car BPUish... with the MAFT. i bought my LS1 maf for like 35 bucks... just gotta get the translator now. thats probably the simplest way to get rid of the AFM, and cheapest.

the Map ECU is a sophisitcated version of the VPC
the VPC is old school and discontinued and is nearly impossible to find the injector driver chps for when you need them.
the AEM ems is totally overkill if youre JUST trying to get rid of the AFM.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Sweet replies guys. I especially want to thank Drake, as he seems to be very knowledgeable and has given great information. I looked at the site and will probably buy the MAFT and one of their MAF. If it goes right infront of the 3000 pipe, i guess on the left side right after it right? Or would it go after the throttle body right before the 3000 pipe even connects? Anyways, is only has to be 3 inch maf right? Cause they don't make a 2.75 I don't think.
eric

edit:::::
I just had a mental picture of the pipe layout and realized it comes befor the 3000 pipe on the left side when viewing from the front of the bay :rolleyes: I see the error on my ways.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
the MAF goes wherever you want to put it. i personally would try to put it NOT over or near the turbo in anyway shape or form. possibly infront of the TB though. that could work.

the 3000 pipe is 2.25" OD inlet and 2.75" OD outlet. the TB is also 2.75". so itd be retarded to put it infront of the 3000 pipe trying to choke 3.5" down to 2.25"

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
malloynx said:
is there going to be a MAFT FAQ started. i'm bout to purchase one of these :)

I fuckin hope so man...the old SM had those threads on it and i was reading the shit out of it. then boom, gone.

so if anyone wants to put up a MAFT FAQ, it would be greatly appreciated by most of the Supra community. Especially those wanting to convert and would like to understand the product before taking action to actually purchasing it.